Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470543 times)

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #1960 on: June 24, 2020, 11:37:29 PM »

According to the lawyer who spoke at the Agudah/LRRC webinar, you can still claim unemployment if your child's daycare is not open yet or if you are nervous to send to daycare. He didn't seem to think it was only by state order.

I wonder what their source is. DOL is very clear on that:
https://www.dol.gov/coronavirus/unemployment-insurance

Offline ae123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: June 25, 2020, 10:51:07 AM »
NJ.

PSA 2!

1 - A woman who had a baby continued to re-certify each week but for the question of "are you able, willing & ready to work?" she checked "no".
She has not received benefits for the last few weeks due to this.
Yesterday she got a phone call from the DOL asking how long before she had a baby she wasn't able to work because they want her to refund the few weeks of unemployment from before the baby. This woman honestly answered that was able to work up until the baby was born, as she has done by her other births, and the money was not clawed back.
Then the DOL rep told her she can not claim in the future that she is able again to work until she submits a letter from her doctor that she can return to work!

2 - Once on the phone with a live rep (!), the lady asked asked why she wasn't getting benefits retroactive to the date of unemployment and not just from the date of filing her claim.
The rep responded that they are not automatically giving retroactive benefits (unlike what the Agudah webinar and LRRC are saying) unless someone specifically asks for it (which is impossible since no one can get through to a live person). This rep offered to open a claim for this lady.

Hope this info will be helpful to others.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 11:11:25 AM by ae123 »

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: June 25, 2020, 12:16:21 PM »
NJ.

PSA 2!

1 - A woman who had a baby continued to re-certify each week but for the question of "are you able, willing & ready to work?" she checked "no".
She has not received benefits for the last few weeks due to this.
Yesterday she got a phone call from the DOL asking how long before she had a baby she wasn't able to work because they want her to refund the few weeks of unemployment from before the baby. This woman honestly answered that was able to work up until the baby was born, as she has done by her other births, and the money was not clawed back.
Then the DOL rep told her she can not claim in the future that she is able again to work until she submits a letter from her doctor that she can return to work!

2 - Once on the phone with a live rep (!), the lady asked asked why she wasn't getting benefits retroactive to the date of unemployment and not just from the date of filing her claim.
The rep responded that they are not automatically giving retroactive benefits (unlike what the Agudah webinar and LRRC are saying) unless someone specifically asks for it (which is impossible since no one can get through to a live person). This rep offered to open a claim for this lady.

Hope this info will be helpful to others.
I hope this wasn't a scammer.

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: June 25, 2020, 12:18:45 PM »
I hope this wasn't a scammer.
What gain would a scammer have from such a call?
No personal info was given.
The rep had it all on file.

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: June 25, 2020, 12:28:09 PM »
What gain would a scammer have from such a call?
No personal info was given.
The rep had it all on file.
Ok. It's definitely a great way to fish info, but if you're careful not to give any info then you should be good.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: June 25, 2020, 12:47:08 PM »

This is a bit overdone. With telework as an option you can work through the birth if you choose...

Offline flatbush guy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: June 25, 2020, 02:26:02 PM »
Would it be fair to say that NY state dep of labor is doing a much better job of paying claims in a timely manner and retroactive claims as opposed to NJ dep of labor?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: June 25, 2020, 02:38:10 PM »
Would it be fair to say that NY state dep of labor is doing a much better job of paying claims in a timely manner and retroactive claims as opposed to NJ dep of labor?

100%
I have people reaching out who can file in NY or NJ due to multiple employers, and even though in most cases the benefit rate in NJ is slightly higher, most are choosing to give up on that because they know that with NY they'll see all their funds as soon as they're approved, and if approval takes more than a week there's someone to talk to.

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: June 25, 2020, 02:39:14 PM »
Your statement is an indisputable fact (more than fair to say :) ).

Offline flatbush guy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: June 25, 2020, 02:48:52 PM »
Thx for the answers.Someone who may be eligible for filing in NY but also has worked in NJ needs to decide where to file.

Offline yitzyul

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: June 25, 2020, 04:03:12 PM »
NYS.
Is there another # to call? Its been1 month+ and nothing. I tried calling 888-209-8124 and keeps on telling me to call back. This has been going on since Monday.
TY

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: June 25, 2020, 04:24:09 PM »
Thx for the answers.Someone who may be eligible for filing in NY but also has worked in NJ needs to decide where to file.

@flatbush guy OTOH they might be eligible for more $$$ in NJ, so if they’re not in a rush...
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: June 25, 2020, 04:27:03 PM »

Possibly DROPR.

If NJ hired/transferred a bunch of people to their DoL unemployment call centers, then these call center reps might be misinforming people. That was my experience in NY and might be the case in NJ as well.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: June 25, 2020, 11:53:15 PM »
The question is, has anyone in nj been able to get retroactive benefits after somehow reaching them on the phone?

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #1974 on: June 26, 2020, 07:43:07 PM »
If one is employed PT then I would assume you're filing for the day's you're not working between 1-4 days. (As you can get 25%-100%)

Now should one have work each day in that week, I would have assumed you don't have to bother filing or writing you worked that week 4+ days.

While now that work is slow and some days or weeks there will be work I should have filed each week whether I worked every day or 2 days a week(obviously one would file for less than 4 days).

My point being here, now where I worked a full weeks I didn't bother filing, now jumping a month later, where work is slow again and I want to start filing again I see there's a break in claim which I need to fill out and then another form.
   Assuming I should write the reason for not filing for the past month was because I had work.. (though a smart idea would have been to write I had worked four plus days each of those weeks and would have kept my UI active vs needing to file a break in claim.)
 And then fill these two forms out like regular?

Will try to upload a pic of those forms.

Break in claim..

Regular form for unemployment if you were self employed or write that you weren't working due to a lack of work.

If you were self employed you don't have any of these forms to fill out.

Now if you were working for someone and you want to go back on the UI seems these two forms should be filled?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 07:59:40 PM by myi »
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: June 26, 2020, 08:02:07 PM »
To get this straight, if i'm self employed and make 10k a week for example and only worked 3 days i would still be eligible for the 25% or 2 days 50% and so on?

Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #1976 on: June 26, 2020, 08:04:50 PM »
To get this straight, if i'm self employed and make 10k a week for example and only worked 3 days i would still be eligible for the 25% or 2 days 50% and so on?

It is not only based on how many days you worked, there is also a max you can earn that week to be eligible for any UI. In NY it's $504, if you make more even if it's all on one day, you won't receive any payment for that week.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: June 26, 2020, 08:10:47 PM »
It is not only based on how many days you worked, there is also a max you can earn that week to be eligible for any UI. In NY it's $504, if you make more even if it's all on one day, you won't receive any payment for that week.
  It doesn't seem that way according to the website / form says.
 For some odd reason the 504 is excluded from self-employment.

If you look closely you'll see besides for self-employment.

Not including all your earnings from self-employment.

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #1978 on: June 27, 2020, 10:02:23 PM »
Hmm, I don't know then. My claim uses the old system, the questions are different.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline schneury

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: June 27, 2020, 10:31:58 PM »
NJ
My wife was just approved after waiting 1 month for unemployment. The few months before she made anywhere from $2-450 a week. Can I adjust the claim for the previous weeks to get the $600 bonus for those weeks?