Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 483887 times)

Offline flatbush guy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #2440 on: July 20, 2020, 01:11:34 AM »
Unemployment has no connection to dependency status.

In NY it's $182 times number of weeks unemployed (max is 46 weeks but can't go past 12/31/20 as of now since that's when the PUA program will cease.)

$600 is for certifications for weeks dated 03/30-07/26.

If it's 17k divided evenly over 4 quarters it's still the minimum of $182.
He is asking how the people u mentioned in an earlier post of yours could claim to get $17 k from unemployment and then defraud people.

Offline elimmm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: July 20, 2020, 01:56:31 AM »
He is asking how the people u mentioned in an earlier post of yours could claim to get $17 k from unemployment and then defraud people.
correct.

Offline ae123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: July 20, 2020, 08:59:38 AM »
NJ. Self-employed.

As of now it seems like this is the last week of the $600 FPUC.
Is it also the last week of the $231 PUA?

(I am specifically asking about self-employed which until the CARES act didn't receive anything in unemployment benefits.)

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: July 20, 2020, 09:36:14 AM »
NJ. Self-employed.

As of now it seems like this is the last week of the $600 FPUC.
Is it also the last week of the $231 PUA?

(I am specifically asking about self-employed which until the CARES act didn't receive anything in unemployment benefits.)

Nope. PUA is available for a maximum of 46 weeks, not to extend past 12/31/20 (for now).

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: July 20, 2020, 09:38:48 AM »
Oh lol.
I'm assuming something like this:
$600X17= $10,200
$182X39= $7,098
$17,298

I guess their team isn't yet aware that it's been extended to 46 weeks...

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: July 20, 2020, 09:40:07 AM »
For self employed unemployment that got a letter to send in verification of income, should they send in 1099 or only tax return?
Your 1099 flows through your tax return on Schedule C, so if you're planning to send your return no need to also include your 1099.

Offline meilich

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: July 20, 2020, 10:01:40 AM »
My question is if I can only send my 1099 and not the full tax return? They write on the form about docs I can send in for self employment and they didn’t mention 1099, however it’s easier to send that can I only send them the 1099?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: July 20, 2020, 10:27:46 AM »
My question is if I can only send my 1099 and not the full tax return? They write on the form about docs I can send in for self employment and they didn’t mention 1099, however it’s easier to send that can I only send them the 1099?
You didn't mention location but in NY you can definitely send in a 1099 in lieu of a tax return. For some this should result in a higher benefit rate than a Schedule C with deductions.

Offline meilich

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: July 20, 2020, 10:54:19 AM »
Thank you!

Offline cgr

• View Profile

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: July 20, 2020, 01:26:45 PM »
I started an application.  Needed to go get more info, so I clicked "save and exit".
How do I get access  "Review of Application Responses" , to get back to my application?

My mistake!!
My computer page was tucked below my screen, so I didn't see the "complete application" button on the bottom!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 01:37:40 PM by ckmk47 »
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline pomy100

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: July 20, 2020, 03:00:06 PM »
I work for a NJ based company remotely from Israel. I’m paid as an Independent Contractor. While filing for PUA I did for NJ...Am I all good?
Does it matter my tuchus was planted in Israel if bottom line all my work was online and technically in NJ...?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: July 20, 2020, 03:15:20 PM »
I work for a NJ based company remotely from Israel. I’m paid as an Independent Contractor. While filing for PUA I did for NJ...Am I all good?
Does it matter my tuchus was planted in Israel if bottom line all my work was online and technically in NJ...?

You know my take on this so I'll let others weigh in...

Offline nafnaf12

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: July 20, 2020, 03:19:10 PM »
unless you got permission, yes it definitely matters.
How are you certifying you're in the states when you're not?
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline Tzvitheboss

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: July 20, 2020, 04:47:57 PM »
Anyone reliable do unemployment in nj
Keep calm and move on

Offline ah giten

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: July 20, 2020, 05:16:47 PM »
You didn't mention location but in NY you can definitely send in a 1099 in lieu of a tax return. For some this should result in a higher benefit rate than a Schedule C with deductions.
1099 has no mention of monthly income. How do they calculate that? if they divide 1099 by 12 months, my weekly amount would fall drastically.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: July 20, 2020, 05:31:30 PM »
1099 has no mention of monthly income. How do they calculate that? if they divide 1099 by 12 months, my weekly amount would fall drastically.
Again assuming NY:
If your rate is $182 now, don't worry about it. It can't drop below the PUA minimum.
If you have a reason why the 1099 should be "backloaded" into the last two quarters or similar, include a note with your 1099- you might need to complete a Reconsideration Form if it's not what it should be now. (Let's say a new business that was only in operation in Q3 and Q4 of 2019 with net income of 12k. Such an applicant would get the minimum PUA when divided over 4 quarters, but would get $230 when divided over Q3 and Q4 of 2019.)

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: July 20, 2020, 05:34:04 PM »
For those of you in NY that need to know how unemployment benefits affect other social programs, there's a link in my signature block. Click on the NY Unemployment post and see the first paragraph.

Offline ah giten

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: July 20, 2020, 05:41:31 PM »
Again assuming NY:
If your rate is $182 now, don't worry about it. It can't drop below the PUA minimum.
If you have a reason why the 1099 should be "backloaded" into the last two quarters or similar, include a note with your 1099- you might need to complete a Reconsideration Form if it's not what it should be now. (Let's say a new business that was only in operation in Q3 and Q4 of 2019 with net income of 12k. Such an applicant would get the minimum PUA when divided over 4 quarters, but would get $230 when divided over Q3 and Q4 of 2019.)
Yes NY.
Started after Sukkos. October.Held the job till end of Feb. for a total of 5 months.
I don't have a 1099 for 2020 yet, and the 2019 is not much.
my weekly benefit is 380 now. (IDK why) and they're asking for proof.

Offline 123-Rosh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: July 20, 2020, 05:57:12 PM »
NJ
What is the number to call to find out why a claim wasn't paid yet?