Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470808 times)

Online yitzyul

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #2760 on: August 05, 2020, 03:50:45 PM »
R u eligible to claim unemployment for the days that out of country? If the person gets job offer can always fly back same day?

Offline cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: August 05, 2020, 03:56:54 PM »
R u eligible to claim unemployment for the days that out of country? If the person gets job offer can always fly back same day?

Travel to Canada is generally allowed but per the rules you need to call and get permission.
This is a general rule that applies when traveling to anywhere else in the States or Canada- you usually can but the DOL must know about it.
Foreign travel (other than Canada) disqualifies you from collecting.

You can always call and try to get a rep to give you permission. Record the convo.

Online yitzyul

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: August 05, 2020, 03:58:39 PM »
Canada is closed so does that mean to somewhere else you can't? or Can still get perm?

TY

Online Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #2763 on: August 05, 2020, 06:09:14 PM »
So I responded :
                                                                              SS#- xxx-xx-xxxx

I'd like to certify that I was out of work for the following weeks for which I haven't gotten payments.
I didn't work, wasn't offered work, and didn't get paid from any business or agency.
For the weeks ending: ....

And I listed the dates.
I made sure to write the italicized things, since that's what they ask during certification.

I got the payments less than 48 hours after writing to them!!!

Thanks cgr for your information and support!

So... I tried doing the exact same thing, and all I got in response was this:

Hello,

Please certify for your benefits weekly.

Also, check your account for payments. Latest released 8/5/2020

That's all. No further info. What does this mean? Am I talking to a brick wall, and need to HUCA? Or is this their cryptic way of saying that my past weeks' certification has been accepted? ???

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: August 05, 2020, 06:17:32 PM »

So... I tried doing the exact same thing, and all I got in response was this:

Hello,

Please certify for your benefits weekly.

Also, check your account for payments. Latest released 8/5/2020

That's all. No further info. What does this mean? Am I talking to a brick wall, and need to HUCA? Or is this their cryptic way of saying that my past weeks' certification has been accepted? ???
Did  you check your account?  Have the payments been released today?
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Online Moishebatchy

• View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #2765 on: August 05, 2020, 06:25:21 PM »
Did  you check your account?  Have the payments been released today?

The "payment history" only shows payments for the 10 weeks certified via the original DocuSign - but nothing about the additional weeks that I secure-messaged them about.

(Also, the money has not actually been direct deposited yet, though I guess it could just be taking time on the bank's end.)

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: August 05, 2020, 06:29:12 PM »
I checked my account.  I got a reply message to my asking to be credited with back pay.   "Certifications have been entered based upon the information provided."

And they appeared in my payments page.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Online Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: August 05, 2020, 06:32:12 PM »
The $0 for your "last week worked" is your waiting week. They haven't paid that out yet, and totally bumbled it by renaming it to "last week worked". That's even more wrong and confusing than "waiting week"...

So... it makes sense that you get $0 for that week, and yet it still eats up 4 of your precious "effective days"? :(

Online Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: August 05, 2020, 06:34:45 PM »
I checked my account.  I got a reply message to my asking to be credited with back pay.   "Certifications have been entered based upon the information provided."

And they appeared in my payments page.

Weird. I guess I'll wait for @cgr to weigh in on this...

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: August 05, 2020, 07:26:30 PM »
So... it makes sense that you get $0 for that week, and yet it still eats up 4 of your precious "effective days"? :(

They changed the system so now when you file they put in your claim effective date a week earlier, so while the first week shows $0, you actually get paid from when you're entitled to it.

Regarding the 4 days if I've been tracking it correctly it says 4 days in the "Effective Days Column" but you still start with 104 days/26 weeks which means that those 4 days aren't part of the 104 count. Perhaps someone who hasn't received any payments yet but has the first week in their account can check.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: August 05, 2020, 07:28:24 PM »
Weird. I guess I'll wait for @cgr to weigh in on this...

No idea if the rep meant to say that he released those weeks for you or if he was just shrugging you off, but it's normal for it to take 1-5 days for backpay certifications to show up in your account. The Effective Days in the top section usually drops before you can see the payment breakdown, so that might be another indicator if it was indeed processed.

Offline yechiel11

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: August 06, 2020, 09:10:08 AM »
So I responded :
                                                                              SS#- xxx-xx-xxxx

I'd like to certify that I was out of work for the following weeks for which I haven't gotten payments.
I didn't work, wasn't offered work, and didn't get paid from any business or agency.
For the weeks ending: ....

And I listed the dates.
I made sure to write the italicized things, since that's what they ask during certification.

I got the payments less than 48 hours after writing to them!!!

Thanks cgr for your information and support!

I submitted a message, however I got an auto reply to check out the FAQ's. what subject and sub-subject should be selected to get a human to respond?

Offline Abe100

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: August 06, 2020, 11:01:28 AM »
On a regular unemployment claim in NYS. Not due to Covid 19

Options to claim or, lack of work, discharged/let go or fired.

Does discharge/let go qualify for benefits? the description is Couldn't meet employers standards

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: August 06, 2020, 11:27:53 AM »
On a regular unemployment claim in NYS. Not due to Covid 19

Options to claim or, lack of work, discharged/let go or fired.

Does discharge/let go qualify for benefits? the description is Couldn't meet employers standards

As a general rule only voluntary quit without good cause is not eligible for UI.
There are some ways an employer can deny a claim when firing an employee.

You may be eligible for benefits if:
  • Your employer discharged or fired you because you could not meet their performance or production standards, or their qualifications for the job
You may be denied benefits if you:
  • Were fired because you violated a company policy, rule or procedure, such as absenteeism or insubordination

https://www.labor.ny.gov/ui/claimantinfo/beforeyouapplyfaq.shtm#1

Offline Abe100

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: August 06, 2020, 03:50:02 PM »
As a general rule only voluntary quit without good cause is not eligible for UI.
There are some ways an employer can deny a claim when firing an employee.

You may be eligible for benefits if:
  • Your employer discharged or fired you because you could not meet their performance or production standards, or their qualifications for the job
You may be denied benefits if you:
  • Were fired because you violated a company policy, rule or procedure, such as absenteeism or insubordination

https://www.labor.ny.gov/ui/claimantinfo/beforeyouapplyfaq.shtm#1

Thanks!

Online Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #2775 on: August 06, 2020, 04:28:40 PM »
New York

Two people file for unemployment the same day. Person A is approved almost immediately, while Person B is left in limbo for a week, needs to call and and provide more info/verification, and is finally approved. Both are given the minimum rate of $182.

Both get nearly identical text messages from the DOL upon approval. However, there are two noticeable differences:

1) Person A's text says to visit https://on.ny.gov/cppua for more info, while Person B's text says to visit https://on.ny.gov/cpui
2) Upon clicking the respective links, Person A is told that certifying by phone is done by calling 833-324-0366, while Person B is told to call 888-581-5812.

Did something go wrong for Person B, that they were somehow only approved for UI and not PUA? Or is this just a system fluke, and should be ignored?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: August 06, 2020, 04:39:09 PM »
New York

Two people file for unemployment the same day. Person A is approved almost immediately, while Person B is left in limbo for a week, needs to call and and provide more info/verification, and is finally approved. Both are given the minimum rate of $182.

Both get nearly identical text messages from the DOL upon approval. However, there are two noticeable differences:

1) Person A's text says to visit https://on.ny.gov/cppua for more info, while Person B's text says to visit https://on.ny.gov/cpui
2) Upon clicking the respective links, Person A is told that certifying by phone is done by calling 833-324-0366, while Person B is told to call 888-581-5812.

Did something go wrong for Person B, that they were somehow only approved for UI and not PUA? Or is this just a system fluke, and should be ignored?

A was placed on PUA while B was placed on regular UI, that much is clear.
Does B have W2 wage history? Perhaps his wage history entitles him to exactly $182, unrelated to the fact that PUA also happens to have that rate (would be weird if that's the case but still possible...)

An applicant can be approved for UI or PUA- not both.
UI is for those with sufficient W2 wage history
PUA is for those who are SE or don't have sufficient wage history.

Online Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: August 06, 2020, 04:48:02 PM »
A was placed on PUA while B was placed on regular UI, that much is clear.
Does B have W2 wage history?

No. Persons A and B have the exact same circumstances. In fact, they are actually self-employed partners in a company (actually just the two of them - they have no employees) which didn't do too well last year - the income from the business was a little over $2,000, so they split it between them, and each declared an income of a little over $1,000 when applying for UI.

When Person B called the DOL, the rep took all their information, and then very clearly said that the call was being transferred to PUA, where Person B was asked more questions, including the "how much did you make last year" question.

So... what went wrong? And does this mean that Person B will not be retroactively getting the $600 weekly FPUC payments?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: August 06, 2020, 04:51:58 PM »
No. Persons A and B have the exact same circumstances. In fact, they are actually self-employed partners in a company (actually just the two of them - they have no employees) which didn't do too well last year - the income from the business was a little over $2,000, so they split it between them, and each declared an income of a little over $1,000 when applying for UI.

When Person B called the DOL, the rep took all their information, and then very clearly said that the call was being transferred to PUA, where Person B was asked more questions, including the "how much did you make last year" question.

So... what went wrong? And does this mean that Person B will not be retroactively getting the $600 weekly FPUC payments?

That is weird but if they were both approved who cares... let the DOL handle their problems...
It doesn't matter if one is on UI or PUA- both are eligible for FPUC for certifications from 03/30-07/26.

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: August 06, 2020, 05:04:12 PM »
Has anyone received a call in NJ about backpay?