Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 477352 times)

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #2840 on: August 10, 2020, 12:57:20 PM »
Which phone number do I call to claim past weeks (forgot to claim the week of July 26) the regular number (18333240366) only lets me claim for the week of augest 2

888-209-8124

Offline Ellen

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: August 10, 2020, 01:27:35 PM »
Whats the deal with leaving the country while having an open claim?
Can i just skip certifying while I'm out and continue when i get back?

Offline yosefsv

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: August 11, 2020, 01:40:14 PM »
Did anyone get a letter in NY to pay back SNAP benefits received, because the UI/FPUC income got them over the eligibility limit?
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline shmoe joe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: August 11, 2020, 03:56:16 PM »
888-209-8124
when calling this number it requires me to speak to Representative which takes forever to reach one. Any other number that I can claim week of July 26?
give some love (likes) to a brother!

Offline yosefsv

• View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: August 11, 2020, 03:58:16 PM »
when calling this number it requires me to speak to Representative which takes forever to reach one. Any other number that I can claim week of July 26?
You could send them a message thru your online account.

Offline Pupashtetl

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: August 11, 2020, 08:06:52 PM »
I missed a call today from 866-812-5907. When I called back I got a message that this is the New Jersey Department of Labor. Does any one know if this a legit number, and what they would want from me?

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: August 11, 2020, 11:12:32 PM »
I missed a call today from 866-812-5907. When I called back I got a message that this is the New Jersey Department of Labor. Does any one know if this a legit number, and what they would want from me?

Someone I know got a call from this number. She says she googled it (I myself didn't bother to) and its a chinese scam. I don't know if she is right, but it is concerning. I don't really know what the DOL is thinking because they do say that they will call you back from random numbers. How can they expect people to give or discuss personal information to people calling from random numbers? It sounds ripe for a Chinese scam if you ask me.

Offline 159dallas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
  • Programs: IHG Platinum Premier, Hertz PC, Enterprise EE
« Reply #2847 on: August 11, 2020, 11:51:54 PM »
That is the number i got called from and I gave them all my info so I hope its not a scam.... Why would you assume it is?

Offline 159dallas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
  • Programs: IHG Platinum Premier, Hertz PC, Enterprise EE
« Reply #2848 on: August 11, 2020, 11:58:10 PM »
That is the number i got called from and I gave them all my info so I hope its not a scam.... Why would you assume it is?

That is pretty scary thought that I gave my Name,DOB,SSN to a random person..... But who says it is a scam? And why would the call back number go to a fake njdol? Seems like the real NJDOL to me

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: August 12, 2020, 12:10:20 AM »
That is pretty scary thought that I gave my Name,DOB,SSN to a random person..... But who says it is a scam? And why would the call back number go to a fake njdol? Seems like the real NJDOL to me

I don't know, but it is concerning that they best system that the DOL could come up with is to have people call you back and ask you for personal info. If that wasn't a scam there is sure to be several of them soon when scammers get wind of the fact that half of NJ is waiting to get called back from the NJDOL about backpay.

And I just called that number because I was curious. It is definitely not the regular unemployment office, perhaps it is a different one. but the regular unemployment office is not open from 8 am to 7 pm like this machine says. And the computerized voice is a little strange sounding for a government office.

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #2850 on: August 12, 2020, 08:19:56 AM »
New York

Someone who moved from out-of-state to NY in the last few years applied for NYS UI. The DOL sent a letter saying they need to verify the applicant's identity, asking for "clear and legible photocopies of both the front and back" of the following, within 10 days:

• Social Security Card (If you do not have one, you must contact the Social Security office to get a replacement card);
• Driver's License or Non-Driver Photo ID Card;
• Birth Certificate and/or Passport;
• Permanent Resident Card (INS Form I-151 or l-551), Temporary Resident Card (I-688) or Employment Authorization Card (INS Form 1-688B or 1-766), if you are not a citizen of the United States; and
• Marriage certificate, divorce decree or other proof of legal name change, if your name has changed within the past two years.

Questions:

1) Applicant never traded in their out-of-state driver's license for a NY license. Is it acceptable to send in their old out-of-state license, since it's just for proof of identity? Or would the fact that it's not a NY license cause new problems - that they'll be suspected of not actually being a NY resident? And if so, what is the recommended course of action - just tell them "I don't have a license"?

2) How do you send in "front and back" of a passport? Do they seriously expect you to photocopy the outside of the passport?

3) Applicant cannot find their social security card. They can order a replacement card if necessary, but it will likely take more than the 10 days that the DOL has allowed for supplying the documents. Do they need to specifically notify the DOL that they need more time for the SS card? Or once they send in the other documents, the DOL will cool their heels on the whole "within 10 days" thing?

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #2851 on: August 12, 2020, 09:40:40 AM »
I submitted a message, however I got an auto reply to check out the FAQ's. what subject and sub-subject should be selected to get a human to respond?
+1
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: August 12, 2020, 09:43:19 AM »
I submitted a message, however I got an auto reply to check out the FAQ's. what subject and sub-subject should be selected to get a human to respond?

+1

Reply to the bounceback with your original message again. That should route it to an agent.

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #2853 on: August 12, 2020, 09:45:14 AM »
Reply to the bounceback with your original message again. That should route it to an agent.
Just tried that, hope it works! TY
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: August 12, 2020, 09:45:38 AM »
New York

Someone who moved from out-of-state to NY in the last few years applied for NYS UI. The DOL sent a letter saying they need to verify the applicant's identity, asking for "clear and legible photocopies of both the front and back" of the following, within 10 days:

• Social Security Card (If you do not have one, you must contact the Social Security office to get a replacement card);
• Driver's License or Non-Driver Photo ID Card;
• Birth Certificate and/or Passport;
• Permanent Resident Card (INS Form I-151 or l-551), Temporary Resident Card (I-688) or Employment Authorization Card (INS Form 1-688B or 1-766), if you are not a citizen of the United States; and
• Marriage certificate, divorce decree or other proof of legal name change, if your name has changed within the past two years.

Questions:

1) Applicant never traded in their out-of-state driver's license for a NY license. Is it acceptable to send in their old out-of-state license, since it's just for proof of identity? Or would the fact that it's not a NY license cause new problems - that they'll be suspected of not actually being a NY resident? And if so, what is the recommended course of action - just tell them "I don't have a license"?

2) How do you send in "front and back" of a passport? Do they seriously expect you to photocopy the outside of the passport?

3) Applicant cannot find their social security card. They can order a replacement card if necessary, but it will likely take more than the 10 days that the DOL has allowed for supplying the documents. Do they need to specifically notify the DOL that they need more time for the SS card? Or once they send in the other documents, the DOL will cool their heels on the whole "within 10 days" thing?

Just the passport should be fine.
Not sure specifically of the meaning of front and back, but I suggest you go with the ID page and the signature page.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: August 12, 2020, 09:46:51 AM »
Whats the deal with leaving the country while having an open claim?
Can i just skip certifying while I'm out and continue when i get back?

Yes.
Best not to certify (even as unwilling to work) when out of the country. They'll flag your claim.

Offline cozmohoot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: August 12, 2020, 10:47:01 AM »
Did anyone get a letter in NY to pay back SNAP benefits received, because the UI/FPUC income got them over the eligibility limit?
I thought snap is giving the full benefit amounts the last few months...
So even if a family of 6 should only get 400 they have been giving 1000.
Numbers are just an example...

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: August 12, 2020, 11:03:24 AM »
I thought snap is giving the full benefit amounts the last few months...
So even if a family of 6 should only get 400 they have been giving 1000.
Numbers are just an example...

I think what he's trying to say is that his unemployment income put him over the SNAP limit so that he's not eligible at all- not that he's eligible for less.

Offline yosefsv

• View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: August 12, 2020, 11:24:27 AM »
I think what he's trying to say is that his unemployment income put him over the SNAP limit so that he's not eligible at all- not that he's eligible for less.
Correct.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: August 12, 2020, 02:15:49 PM »
I opened a WhatsApp for status updates on NY, NJ, and Federal coronavirus aid available. I'm not sure if forum rules allow me to post links, so if you'd like to see them PM me for the WhatsApp link.