Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 478774 times)

Offline oldguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #3060 on: August 24, 2020, 04:14:27 PM »
What should a employer do if he's a Non profit (So he has no UI Insurance) and he gets a bill for all people that used to work for him in the past 18 months, (They don't work for him a while already) and all the people that filed for partial unemployment for losing a 2nd job that they were scheduled to start.
How does he fight it?

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: August 24, 2020, 05:03:30 PM »
What should a employer do if he's a Non profit (So he has no UI Insurance) and he gets a bill for all people that used to work for him in the past 18 months, (They don't work for him a while already) and all the people that filed for partial unemployment for losing a 2nd job that they were scheduled to start.
How does he fight it?

If they voluntarily quit or were fired with just cause he can dispute the claim routinely- it should be an option on the notice.
If he fired them then he can try disputing by sending back the dispute and noting "employee is no longer employed with employer as of XX/XX/XXXX and filed for the PUA-eligible reason that they were scheduled to commence new employment, so claim should not be billed to employer UI account"- not sure it'll work but might be worth a try.

Offline oldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: August 24, 2020, 05:18:44 PM »
If he fired them then he can try disputing by sending back the dispute and noting "employee is no longer employed with employer as of XX/XX/XXXX and filed for the PUA-eligible reason that they were scheduled to commence new employment, so claim should not be billed to employer UI account"- not sure it'll work but might be worth a try.
Thank you for replying.
Why shouldn't it work, Why should the DOL bill him for it?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: August 24, 2020, 05:27:07 PM »
Thank you for replying.
Why shouldn't it work, Why should the DOL bill him for it?

If he laid off his employee in the last 18 months he'd be responsible for the claim regardless what the current unemployment reason is (in fact the employee could have/should have filed when laid off originally).
The NY and NJ DOL have not said how they'll handle UI claims for PUA reasons- some states have said they will not bill the employer while others have said they will, and that covid is now a UI eligible reason.

Offline oldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: August 24, 2020, 05:35:38 PM »
If he laid off his employee in the last 18 months he'd be responsible for the claim regardless what the current unemployment reason is (in fact the employee could have/should have filed when laid off originally).
The NY and NJ DOL have not said how they'll handle UI claims for PUA reasons- some states have said they will not bill the employer while others have said they will, and that covid is now a UI eligible reason.
My question was for the people that are still employed and are applying for partial unemployment.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: August 24, 2020, 05:42:50 PM »
My question was for the people that are still employed and are applying for partial unemployment.

If he's no longer their employer it doesn't matter either way.
If he is the current partial employer and he didn't reduce their hours then he should reject the claim as being the current employer and again he can note "employee is currently employed with employer and has filed for the PUA-eligible reason that they were scheduled to commence new part-time employment with a different employer, so claim should not be billed to current employer UI account"

Offline ~King Lake~

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: August 24, 2020, 07:10:57 PM »
I filed for unemployment in NYS what is my next step?
Do I have to call them?
Or should I wait for a email?
I didn't receive any emails from them yet, I filed a few hours ago already.
I’m in shape, round is a shape…

Offline yosefsv

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: August 24, 2020, 07:13:24 PM »
Do I have to call them?
What message did it say when you have completed the application?
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: August 24, 2020, 07:21:02 PM »
Do I have to call them?
You can log in tomorrow or the day after, click on Unemployment Services, and check if you can certify or if there's a note that you need to call.

Can take up to a week to process- don't expect an email until after your claim has been approved.

Offline cozmohoot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: August 24, 2020, 07:21:41 PM »
If someone has been on UI for a while but now their employer got a ppp loan to pay him, should he certify and write that he earned more than $504 or just let it sit?

For all he knows the employer will stop paying in a few weeks and will need UI again...

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: August 24, 2020, 07:22:41 PM »
If someone has been on UI for a while but now their employer got a ppp loan to pay him, should he certify and write that he earned more than $504 or just let it sit?

For all he knows the employer will stop paying in a few weeks and will need UI again...
Doesn't matter- claim stays open til the Benefit Year End Date which is a year after the Claim Effective Date.

Offline yosefsv

• View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: August 24, 2020, 07:24:08 PM »
You can log in tomorrow or the day after, click on Unemployment Services, and check if you can certify or if there's a note that you need to call.
You could also already log in today (Until 7:30). log in via labor.ny.gov/signin, click on 'Unemployment Services', enter your SS# and see the message there.
if it says that you are not authorized to use the system today etc. there is probably no need to call, otherwise it will already have the note that you need to call.

Offline easydoesit

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: August 24, 2020, 07:32:33 PM »
Hi Everyone,

My place of work (daycare) closed down on March 18 due to COVID. I had a baby on 5/11/20. For the week of 5/11 (and the weeks after) I was unable to work due to disability and not COVID. When I got to that week to certify, I did not know what to do. I was going to fill out to question 1: Were you able and available to work: No
And to question 2: Were you actively seeking work: No.

I would write the correct reason in the box of details given.

Is that the correct way to fill this out?

I’m hearing horror stories where once someone wasn’t eligible for one or more weeks they were also not eligible for the following weeks. I am therefore afraid to disqualify the weeks after the baby in order not to lose out on the following weeks as well.  Is there a chance that this will happen? I want to do this the right way.

I should also mention that I am a part-time worker and I was only eligible for Unemployment through PUA, so I would not be getting disability.  Does that change anything?

Please advise.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 07:57:01 PM by easydoesit »

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: August 24, 2020, 08:20:26 PM »
Hi Everyone,

My place of work (daycare) closed down on March 18 due to COVID. I had a baby on 5/11/20. For the week of 5/11 (and the weeks after) I was unable to work due to disability and not COVID. When I got to that week to certify, I did not know what to do. I was going to fill out to question 1: Were you able and available to work: No
And to question 2: Were you actively seeking work: No.

I would write the correct reason in the box of details given.

Is that the correct way to fill this out?

I’m hearing horror stories where once someone wasn’t eligible for one or more weeks they were also not eligible for the following weeks. I am therefore afraid to disqualify the weeks after the baby in order not to lose out on the following weeks as well.  Is there a chance that this will happen? I want to do this the right way.

I should also mention that I am a part-time worker and I was only eligible for Unemployment through PUA, so I would not be getting disability.  Does that change anything?

Please advise.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! :)

From the questions you are quoting, sounds like you are in NJ
If you do go that route then it is true that the NJDOL will likely not handle that well. Be prepared with a doctors letter for your appeal saying that you were able to work again, as I know people who got charged back THEIR ENTIRE CLAIM when someone in the DOL decided that they must not have been able to work for longer than the claimant claimed. Also know someone whose claim has not been payable for a few months after she tried that.

I also know that I got backlash for this opinion, but I am not fully convinced that having a baby means you were legally disabled.

Offline Dave321

• View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: August 24, 2020, 10:55:47 PM »
How long do you think the unemployment will go in for? There are people on since march. At what point will anyone want to go back to work? I mean it's been 6 months for some of free money! (I am not referring to people who legitimately have UI. I mean the ones that their employer asked them to come back to work but they refuse to.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3075 on: August 24, 2020, 11:03:49 PM »
How long do you think the unemployment will go in for? There are people on since march. At what point will anyone want to go back to work? I mean it's been 6 months for some of free money! (I am not referring to people who legitimately have UI. I mean the ones that their employer asked them to come back to work but they refuse to.
Right now (without LWA) I doubt there's anyone who has an employer begging them to come back who can afford to stay on UI for the fun of it.
UI is 40% (or less if you get the max) of your wages- I don't know of many who can subsist on that...

Offline Dave321

• View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: August 24, 2020, 11:09:51 PM »
Right now (without LWA) I doubt there's anyone who has an employer begging them to come back who can afford to stay on UI for the fun of it.
UI is 40% (or less if you get the max) of your wages- I don't know of many who can subsist on that...
What about the $400 per week Trump signed?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: August 24, 2020, 11:14:31 PM »
What about the $400 per week Trump signed?
It's down to $300 and will take a few weeks to administer- and FPUC stopped on 07/25-26.

Also it will likely only last for 3-4 weeks (which means technically it won't be paid for this week anymore), and congress is showing no signs of reaching and agreement.

I do agree that a lot of PUA "job offered" individuals will continue claiming until the DOL bothers them with work-search requirements because why not... but at this point (since FPUC stopped) I sincerely doubt it's impacting the labor market by disincentivising potential hires.

Offline ~King Lake~

• View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: August 25, 2020, 08:39:39 AM »

Can take up to a week to process- don't expect an email until after your claim has been approved.
Called them in today at 8:05am someone picked up right away! Spoke with him 2-3 minutes and he said that I should expect the first deposit in 2 to 3 days!
Does it make sense?
Also when going online to unemployment services it says a message that I am unauthorized to use this service now please come back tomorrow bla bla bla, anyone familiar with what that means?
I’m in shape, round is a shape…

Offline yosefsv

• View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: August 25, 2020, 11:52:57 AM »
Called them in today at 8:05am someone picked up right away! Spoke with him 2-3 minutes and he said that I should expect the first deposit in 2 to 3 days!
Does it make sense?
Yes
Also when going online to unemployment services it says a message that I am unauthorized to use this service now please come back tomorrow bla bla bla, anyone familiar with what that means?
Its a good sign. It means that your application is being processed and by tomorrow you will hopefully see a monetary determination.