Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 471033 times)

Online cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #3220 on: September 18, 2020, 12:22:17 PM »
Yes. Most are showing funds on their DOL portal, but it has not yet been received by the bank.

Update:
DOL is saying that banks couldn't handle the amount ($1.9B) and KeyBanks system crashed.
They're hoping to get it to everyone by 4:30PM.

Offline pomy100

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: September 21, 2020, 06:31:12 AM »
Did anyone get the extra 300$ in NJ yet?    Thanks

Offline Luvisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Offline pomy100

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: September 21, 2020, 09:11:19 AM »
Oh ouch

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: September 21, 2020, 10:07:25 AM »
NY'ers will get the final round of LWA by Friday, 9/25.

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #3225 on: September 21, 2020, 11:41:05 AM »
Article now available:
http://homeunemployed.com/effective-days-down-to-zero-dont-worry/

A relative of mine has been certifying by phone (they do not have internet access to certify online). Unlike in that article, where the screenshot shows that the certification is complete AND that the claimant has run out of days, my relative says that the phone system ONLY says "you have run out of days", but NOT "your claim has been entered for processing." Is that a problem? Does that mean they will have to find a way to get online and certify again via the site, until the day counter is replenished?

And speaking of which... when does the day counter get replenished?

Offline 159dallas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
  • Programs: IHG Platinum Premier, Hertz PC, Enterprise EE
« Reply #3226 on: September 21, 2020, 12:19:52 PM »
NJ data point:

Finally got through to someone at the unemployment line. Received an automated call back instead if waiting on hold.
Spoke to the phone rep gave all my personal info and she put my retroactive unemployed date in the system. She said I will get an email from Department of Labor with confirmation and further instructions.
This was three days ago. Still no email from anyone.

Had same experience its been 45days good luck

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: September 21, 2020, 12:31:56 PM »
A relative of mine has been certifying by phone (they do not have internet access to certify online). Unlike in that article, where the screenshot shows that the certification is complete AND that the claimant has run out of days, my relative says that the phone system ONLY says "you have run out of days", but NOT "your claim has been entered for processing." Is that a problem? Does that mean they will have to find a way to get online and certify again via the site, until the day counter is replenished?

And speaking of which... when does the day counter get replenished?

I'm not familiar with the phone system- does it usually say that the claim has been accepted for processing?
The certification method doesn't matter- if there's an issue it's somewhere else.

The counter is usually replenished a week after reaching 0 if you certify that week- in some rare cases the counter is not replenished even though payments are released (which follows that it's replenished internally but not reflected on the account). Bottom line: as long as their payments are released, they're fine regardless what the "Effective Days Remaining" says- the only issue is when they get close to exhausting their days remaining they might be unsure if they do or don't have days left.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #3228 on: September 21, 2020, 12:37:13 PM »
I'm not familiar with the phone system- does it usually say that the claim has been accepted for processing?
The certification method doesn't matter- if there's an issue it's somewhere else.

He says that at the beginning of the call it says something like "do not hang up until you hear that your claim has been received," and when done it says "your claim has been entered for processing." This week, he did not hear that second message - ONLY "we're sorry, but you have exhausted all available days" or something like that.

The counter is usually replenished a week after reaching 0 if you certify that week- in some rare cases the counter is not replenished even though payments are released (which follows that it's replenished internally but not reflected on the account). Bottom line: as long as their payments are released, they're fine regardless what the "Effective Days Remaining" says- the only issue is when they get close to exhausting their days remaining they might be unsure if they do or don't have days left.

Thank you. He said he'll report back to me what happens next week.

Offline yosefsv

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: September 21, 2020, 01:05:59 PM »
He says that at the beginning of the call it says something like "do not hang up until you hear that your claim has been received," and when done it says "your claim has been entered for processing." This week, he did not hear that second message - ONLY "we're sorry, but you have exhausted all available days" or something like that.

Its being processed. If he wants to be sure he could call again, and the system will say: you have already claimed the benefits for this week.
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: September 21, 2020, 01:24:13 PM »
Its being processed. If he wants to be sure he could call again, and the system will say: you have already claimed the benefits for this week.

Will tell him to try. Thanks.

Offline av83

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: September 21, 2020, 08:36:26 PM »
This is in NJ. A family member tested positive for Corona. I can technically work remotely but my children cant go to school so I need to stop working to watch them. Am I eligible for Unemployment pay.

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: September 21, 2020, 08:50:41 PM »
This is in NJ. A family member tested positive for Corona. I can technically work remotely but my children cant go to school so I need to stop working to watch them. Am I eligible for Unemployment pay.
Yes but you're supposed to seek FFCRA first and only if that's not an option are you supposed to go on PUA (FFCRA covers quarantine and childcare).
Chances are that right now when there are no supplemental payments to PUA and you'll receive just your base rate, FFCRA will give you more.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: September 22, 2020, 02:50:05 PM »
Will tell him to try. Thanks.

Update: he says you are correct, and thanks you for your input.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: September 22, 2020, 07:53:39 PM »
getting message that i need to call claim center to complete application

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: September 22, 2020, 09:00:57 PM »
Update, and hopefully a glimmer of light:

This morning, out of frustration, I called Governor Murphy's office (609.292.6000). Someone answered immediately (unlike last time I tried, months ago), and I explained my plight. She said that she cannot connect me with an UI agent, but will pass on the message to get me a monetary review.

Two hours later, I got an email with a link to a webpage where I was able to fill out my previous employment info and upload documentation. (This may have been the result of the email from the appeal tribunal, but I think it's more likely that it was due to the intervention of the gov's office.)

I filled it out and submitted it, and it said I'll have a response within 4 weeks.

Now I wait.
Update:

I've been checking my WBR every day or so, and it just changed. However, it didn't go up nearly as much as it should have, according to my calculation. It went up from $231 to $304, which still far below the amount I think I deserve. Not sure how to proceed from here.

Also, I got one payout, for a week I made less than $231. I did not yet get $73 extra from that week, which I should be entitled to after the adjustment to my WBR. Is it not automatic?

On a different note, someone from Congressman Chris Smith's office called me back tonight to follow up on my case...

Offline mommy of two

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: September 22, 2020, 09:30:27 PM »
"Certifying via Docusign only works if you didn’t work any days in a given week. There is no option to respond that you worked 1, 2 or 3 days."

I just got a docusign and I'm having the above quoted issue, what should I do if I did work some days?
To complicate matters I didn't realize it was diff than the standard and I already signed some weeks 😳

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: September 22, 2020, 10:19:41 PM »
"Certifying via Docusign only works if you didn’t work any days in a given week. There is no option to respond that you worked 1, 2 or 3 days."

I just got a docusign and I'm having the above quoted issue, what should I do if I did work some days?
To complicate matters I didn't realize it was diff than the standard and I already signed some weeks 😳

You can certify via message or call center:

https://homeunemployed.com/guide-how-to-get-missing-unemployment-payments/

https://homeunemployed.com/certifying-back-weeks-by-phone/

To fix a mistaken certification you need to call in.

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: September 22, 2020, 10:22:15 PM »
Update:

I've been checking my WBR every day or so, and it just changed. However, it didn't go up nearly as much as it should have, according to my calculation. It went up from $231 to $304, which still far below the amount I think I deserve. Not sure how to proceed from here.

Also, I got one payout, for a week I made less than $231. I did not yet get $73 extra from that week, which I should be entitled to after the adjustment to my WBR. Is it not automatic?

On a different note, someone from Congressman Chris Smith's office called me back tonight to follow up on my case...

This is great news!
It's frustrating that when they finally did make the change they didn't get it right, and now you might need to chase them for balance payments, but now we know that NJ does have the ability to adjust WBRs for PUA claimants. (I was helping someone who was told by an agent that "in NJ we don't do that" :o)

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: September 22, 2020, 10:25:47 PM »
This is great news!
It's frustrating that when they finally did make the change they didn't get it right, and now you might need to chase them for balance payments, but now we know that NJ does have the ability to adjust WBRs for PUA claimants. (I was helping someone who was told by an agent that "in NJ we don't do that" :o)
Indeed. Though to get to here I did speak to the governor's office, my congressman's office, and the appeal tribunal.