Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 482411 times)

Offline JuryDuty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #3340 on: October 15, 2020, 11:32:51 PM »
Phone call?

Can never get through
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #3342 on: October 16, 2020, 03:04:27 AM »
Tried this?
Interesting will try this.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Luvisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Online Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #3344 on: October 17, 2020, 11:06:50 PM »
Just got an e-Adjudication email with the subject line "New Jersey Unemployment - Wage Information Request." They are asking me to fill out a form and provide wage information and the form indicates that it would poetntially serve as a way to increase a PUA weekly benefit rate.

Is this something new? Or something people have gotten before that hasn't helped...

I got an email today from NJ unemployment that they deposited a big chunk of money in my account and I will see it in the next 2 days.  I have been off unemployment for months now and I did my E-Adjudication a week and half ago.  So I guess this is to cover the difference between minimum $231 and my actual rate.

@cgr
#TYH

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3345 on: October 18, 2020, 01:38:44 PM »
Calling all business owners whose employees filed for unemployment:
I'm trying to gather data points for NY and NJ, to see if claims were indeed billed to employers, and if so which ones.

If you have a good understanding of your SUTA fund charges (both NY and NJ offer online employer portals), were any claims where a W2 employee, who noted a PUA reason (childcare, quarantine/covid diagnosis, business closure due to covid) on their application, billed to your SUTA account? If it was, did you attempt to refute the charge by responding that the claimant was filing for a PUA-covered reason?

Any firsthand experience in this matter is appreciated.

To expand: NY and NJ (for the moment) are both charging UI covid-related claims to the employer's SUTA account, something that most states are not doing. I'm trying to narrow down what they mean by this, and to see if there's room to refute claims that are not the employers fault, like childcare, quarantine/covid diagnosis, and mandated business closures. That would leave just economic downturn layoffs as the employers responsibility.

Offline shmoe joe

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: October 19, 2020, 12:10:36 AM »
Does getting unemployment have any effects on my eligibility for child health plus?
give some love (likes) to a brother!

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: October 19, 2020, 12:25:08 AM »
Does getting unemployment have any effects on my eligibility for child health plus?
Depends on what portion.
The weekly benefit rate is considered income for all programs, but the supplemental payments (FPUC $600 and LWA $300) are not considered income for CHIP, Medicaid, and Section 8.

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: October 20, 2020, 05:34:47 PM »
1) NJ. I realized I haven’t been receiving the $231 minimum because I didn’t file my unemployment as covid related originally. Any fix at this point? 2) anyone receive the added 300 yet?

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #3349 on: October 21, 2020, 09:35:51 AM »
https://homeunemployed.com/tips-and-tidbits-10-02-2020/#Tips_for_Calling_the_DOL
FWIW, this method:
When it asks for your pin number (after putting in your social), putting in the right social and wrong pin number three times gets you right to a representative. A great option for people who forgot their pin…
doesn't seem to work anymore. After three wrong pin numbers they hang up on you.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: October 21, 2020, 09:36:27 AM »
FWIW, this method:doesn't seem to work anymore. After three wrong pin numbers they hang up on you.

That’s what happens when you publish workarounds, they die.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: October 21, 2020, 09:37:37 AM »
That’s what happens when you publish workarounds, they die.
Didn't work back in august either

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: October 21, 2020, 09:44:08 AM »
Didn't work back in august either
I've used it multiple times including yesterday.
If there's high call volume they hang up, same as they would after selecting all your options.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: October 21, 2020, 09:46:12 AM »
I've used it multiple times including yesterday.
If there's high call volume they hang up, same as they would after selecting all your options.
Is the other workaround listed there less likely to reach an agent than the wrong pin method?

Because I'm just getting disconnected that way. Or if I go through all the menus pressing the right options.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: October 21, 2020, 10:14:25 AM »
Is the other workaround listed there less likely to reach an agent than the wrong pin method?

Because I'm just getting disconnected that way. Or if I go through all the menus pressing the right options.
I think all 3 methods take you to the next available agent, if there is one.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: October 21, 2020, 10:16:44 AM »
I think all 3 methods take you to the next available agent, if there is one.
Thanks! So I guess I should just keep doing the fastest one and hope for the best...

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: October 21, 2020, 12:43:38 PM »
Is ANYONE else in NY still waiting for a claim from April to be backdated and waiting week waived?

Offline miles lover

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: October 21, 2020, 09:23:11 PM »
If I get “Your claim is not payable at this time.” What does it usually mean ? NJ

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: October 21, 2020, 10:34:07 PM »
If I get “Your claim is not payable at this time.” What does it usually mean ? NJ

In short, something is wrong with your claim and you should call the unemployment office to ask them to help you. It could be caused by several things - you received a form to fill out that you missed, your employer disputed your claim, you answered something wrong when you certified, you reported no earning one week when you had earnings the previous week... impossible to really know.

In the meantime you are supposed to keep certifying every week. When they fix the problem you should get paid for all the weeks that weren't payable.

Offline miles lover

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: October 21, 2020, 10:37:17 PM »
In short, something is wrong with your claim and you should call the unemployment office to ask them to help you. It could be caused by several things - you received a form to fill out that you missed, your employer disputed your claim, you answered something wrong when you certified, you reported no earning one week when you had earnings the previous week... impossible to really know.

In the meantime you are supposed to keep certifying every week. When they fix the problem you should get paid for all the weeks that weren't payable.
Hmm. Thanx. It’s self employed and they paid out weekly until recently. My friend certified for  4 weeks at once and the first 2 weeks he got paid and the second 2 weeks it said not payable.