Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470603 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #3800 on: February 27, 2021, 08:08:25 PM »
In NY now that they count PT based  on dollar amount
If some one earns $125 per hour and only works 4 hours in a week,they are still eligible for   full UI, even though they earned $500 since its only the 0-4 hours worked last week?

They don’t count it based on dollar amount per hour :P

They used to have two qualifications:
Days worked (for every day you worked they reduced UI by 25%, so $0 UI for four days work.
Had to earn less than $504

They switched the first qualification to hours instead of days. And <4 hours is the equivalent of 0 days using their new “hours worked” method.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #3801 on: February 28, 2021, 12:31:04 AM »
Easiest way to pay for weeks when UI was giving the full amount without removing taxes? Meaning before withholding the taxes.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: February 28, 2021, 12:42:31 AM »
Correct.
Definitely eligible for all months that he was unemployed in between, although the PUA program only started in 02/02/20 so he's not eligible from December.

You can check that week in your payment history to see if it was processed with 4 effective days- personally I'd call up to make the change and apply the difference to a future week. No point getting into trouble over one week's payment.
You can't fix retroactively, but you can a) pay estimated withholding now to both NYS and IRS so you don't have to worry about spending the cash and not having it at year's end, and b) you can correct the issue going forward.

Amen!! Thank you for the kind words.
  Not familiar doing it on my own, while i always had my accountant doing this for me, i want to take care of this myself, how do i proceed for each one?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline oldguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: February 28, 2021, 02:02:08 AM »
In NY now that they count PT based  on dollar amount
If some one earns $125 per hour and only works 4 hours in a week,they are still eligible for   full UI, even though they earned $500 since its only the 0-4 hours worked last week?
Correct

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: February 28, 2021, 09:56:33 AM »
  Not familiar doing it on my own, while i always had my accountant doing this for me, i want to take care of this myself, how do i proceed for each one?
Now that it's February you should just file taxes and pay up the difference on your return. If you're getting UI payments still change the settings for all payments going forward.

Estimated Payments are due the 15th after quarter end (so by April 15 you need to pay estimated taxes for Q1).
IRS: https://www.irs.gov/payments
NY: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pay/ind/pay_your_estimated_tax.htm

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: February 28, 2021, 07:44:54 PM »
Now that it's February you should just file taxes and pay up the difference on your return. If you're getting UI payments still change the settings for all payments going forward.

Estimated Payments are due the 15th after quarter end (so by April 15 you need to pay estimated taxes for Q1).
I hear, so I guess I'll include it when I file for 2020 taxes. And yes had changed the option to withhold taxes as soon as I realized it wasn't taken it off automatically.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: February 28, 2021, 07:47:17 PM »

Can you tell me if I would be eligible to file for UI If I had paid my worker 400 one week then 500 and then 600 another week?

So for 3 different weeks I had paid those amounts but never bothered taken a check for myself.
 Being that I paid my worker that would mean I made money but I had only paid my worker.
@cgr thanks for your help!

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: February 28, 2021, 08:04:28 PM »
Can you tell me if I would be eligible to file for UI If I had paid my worker 400 one week then 500 and then 600 another week?

So for 3 different weeks I had paid those amounts but never bothered taken a check for myself.
 Being that I paid my worker that would mean I made money but I had only paid my worker.
@cgr thanks for your help!

What's the tax-type for the entity? Sole prop, partnership, or corporation?

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: February 28, 2021, 09:42:11 PM »
What's the tax-type for the entity? Sole prop, partnership, or corporation?
LTD, a corporation.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: February 28, 2021, 09:56:35 PM »
LTD, a corporation.
Hard to say then...
With a Sole prop or Partnership all net income (after expenses, including payroll) are considered the owner's, so if that would be over 504 and you're on PUA, it would affect your ability to claim PUA.
If it's a corp it's not so clear since not all net income is automatically yours. If it's less than 504/net you're good regardless though.

Online dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3810 on: March 01, 2021, 10:01:55 AM »
I just received back pay in NJ for the first 10 weeks. However, I only received the state portion, not the federal portion. Is there something else that I need to do to get that or do I just have to wait - and if so, anyone have any idea how long?

Offline Pupashtetl

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: March 01, 2021, 10:16:22 AM »
I just received back pay in NJ for the first 10 weeks. However, I only received the state portion, not the federal portion. Is there something else that I need to do to get that or do I just have to wait - and if so, anyone have any idea how long?

What steps did you take to get the backpay?

Online dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: March 01, 2021, 10:39:32 AM »
What steps did you take to get the backpay?

Called many times, got through and spoke to people a few times. Each time was told that we would hear back from them within 4 weeks. Never happened until last month when they called back and asked for some more information and then told me to look out for an email which will allow me to certify for the missed weeks. I finally got that email around 2 weeks later.

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #3813 on: March 01, 2021, 12:03:46 PM »
Called many times, got through and spoke to people a few times. Each time was told that we would hear back from them within 4 weeks. Never happened until last month when they called back and asked for some more information and then told me to look out for an email which will allow me to certify for the missed weeks. I finally got that email around 2 weeks later.
which phone number?

Offline stv17

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: March 02, 2021, 04:53:03 PM »
Is it possible to receive PUA & FPUC in NY?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: March 02, 2021, 04:53:48 PM »
Is it possible to receive PUA & FPUC in NY?
Always.
All PUA, UI, and PEUC payments that are for a week that FPUC was in effect get FPUC.

Offline stv17

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: March 02, 2021, 04:59:00 PM »
Always.
All PUA, UI, and PEUC payments that are for a week that FPUC was in effect get FPUC.

So, in effect ur getting $300 x 2 plus UI from NYS per week?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: March 02, 2021, 05:26:51 PM »
So, in effect ur getting $300 x 2 plus UI from NYS per week?
Why X2?

Offline stv17

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: March 02, 2021, 05:32:49 PM »
FPUC & PUA

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: March 02, 2021, 05:57:53 PM »
FPUC & PUA
You can only get either UI or PUA.
PUA is $182/week.
UI is based on previous wages and ranges from $104 to $504/week.