Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470604 times)

Offline 4yourinfo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #3840 on: March 11, 2021, 10:15:34 AM »
https://nj1015.com/help-nj-unemployment-benefits/
Submit your questions - it's tonight
Newsjerz@nj1015.com
If enough people ask why backdating claims are never getting fully processed - no response or not payable etc.. maybe  it'll get addressed...

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: March 12, 2021, 12:33:11 PM »
Got this email from Congressman Chris Smith:

Dear Mr. *****,

Please know that I am doing everything I possibly can to help you obtain unemployment benefits from the State of New Jersey’s Department of Labor (NJDOL). 

I sincerely regret that the State’s application and review process has made a bad situation, significantly worse. 

Losing your job due to no fault of your own during the pandemic has been exacerbated by the State’s bureaucratic delays, unclear responses to my questions on your behalf and, in many cases, no response at all.

Now the Murphy Administration has announced a new misguided process that restricts me and other legislators from raising timely questions. 

Such a policy is unprecedented, unfair and unwise—and I have expressed my objections to the Governor in the attached letter.

Shockingly, the Murphy Administration is limiting me, and other elected representatives, to just a mere handful of inquiries per week—just 13—regardless of how many people reach out for desperately needed assistance. 

I’ve never seen anything like it.  At the Governor’s new restricted inquiry rate, it will take over a year just to have NJDOL review the most serious cases I have already brought to their attention.

For the past 12 months, my staff and I have advocated and worked tirelessly to help people who have been adversely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic—including and especially those who have lost their jobs.  To date, I have helped over 850 get positive results and the unemployment benefits they deserve. 

But it has not been without setbacks. 

As you know, the Murphy Administration is vested with the legal responsibility of managing and distributing all unemployment funds appropriated by Congress for New Jersey residents. 

Over the past year, I have reached out to both Governor Murphy and New Jersey Commissioner of Labor Robert Asaro-Angelo, who oversees the unemployment program, asking them to reform a broken system.   I have spoken directly to Commissioner Asaro-Angelo on several occasions. 

I will continue to press the Governor and Commissioner and will work unceasingly until all those entitled to unemployment compensation get their checks. 

Should you hear from the NJDOL directly, please keep me apprised of any developments with your claim, and I will do the same. If you are facing eviction or receiving utility shut-off notices, send me that information as well.  Added proof of your financial hardship may help me get NJDOL to expedite the review of your case.

Sincerely,

CHRISTOPHER H. SMITH
Member of Congress

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: March 12, 2021, 12:46:29 PM »
Got this email from Congressman Chris Smith:
Wow

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #3843 on: March 12, 2021, 01:13:42 PM »
best number to call NJ Unemployment regarding non payment of claim?
#TYH

Offline flatbush guy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: March 14, 2021, 02:11:37 PM »

I believe that recipients of PUA will continue to be eligible till Sep 2021 because of the new spending bill that was passed, but would like to hear what other info other members have.
Did anybody else get this when recertifying today?

Offline stv17

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: March 14, 2021, 10:40:45 PM »

I believe that recipients of PUA will continue to be eligible till Sep 2021 because of the new spending bill that was passed, but would like to hear what other info other members have.

I got the same message and I'm a bit confused since the latest bill does extend PUA until Sep.

Offline Chaimel6

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: March 14, 2021, 11:27:12 PM »
best number to call NJ Unemployment regarding non payment of claim?
732-761-2020. Sunday morning is the only time I got through. YMMV.

Offline Moshe26

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: March 15, 2021, 05:03:48 PM »
whats the best best way to claim benefits from Nov 2020 until today? i stopped claiming back then bc my wife started a part-time job and was just informed that since her job is less than 4 hours a week and less than 504$ then she would still qualify for unemployment. im in NY. TIA

Offline stv17

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: March 16, 2021, 10:00:47 AM »
I got the same message and I'm a bit confused since the latest bill does extend PUA until Sep.

UI/PUA Payment was received in bank acct. as usual.

Offline yosefsv

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: March 16, 2021, 02:09:24 PM »

PUA benefits were extended through the American Rescue Plan & the legislation goes into effect this week. If you were told that your PUA benefits were exhausted after certifying, please disregard the message. Keep certifying weekly to receive your benefits without lapse.

@NYSLabor - Twitter · 1 day ago
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline yosefsv

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: March 18, 2021, 01:56:27 PM »
Defendant Charged In $1.4 Million Covid-19 Fraud Scheme | USAO-SDNY | Department of Justice
https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/defendant-charged-14-million-covid-19-fraud-scheme
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: March 18, 2021, 02:17:37 PM »
Defendant Charged In $1.4 Million Covid-19 Fraud Scheme | USAO-SDNY | Department of Justice
https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/defendant-charged-14-million-covid-19-fraud-scheme

$1.4mm in a single company's PPP would have a higher likelihood of not getting caught.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Ellen

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: March 18, 2021, 05:58:49 PM »
Just got this from NYS DOL. Question is how this applies to people on partial unemployment (lost job to covid and working as needed since May)

New York State Department of Labor has sent you this form to inform you about the end of your benefit year on your unemployment insurance claim and to establish your ongoing benefit eligibility. In order to receive the benefits you are entitled to moving forward, you must accurately complete and return this form.

This form will be used to determine if you qualify for extended benefits on your existing claim or if you must file a new claim for benefits. This is based on your work history (excluding self-employment) and wages earned (excluding wages earned from self-employment) since filing your initial claim in 2020.

•        If you returned to work for any period of time and earned ten times your weekly benefit rate since filing your initial claim, please select “Yes, I have worked and earned ten times my weekly benefit rate” on the form.
•        If you returned to work or worked for any period of time but did not earn ten times your weekly benefit rate, please select “I have worked, but have not earned ten times my weekly benefit rate” on the form.
•        If you have not worked, please select “I have not worked since filing my claim in 2020.”
If you have not worked or have worked but did not earn ten times your weekly benefit rate, you may keep certifying weekly on your current claim while unemployed. If you have worked and earned ten times your weekly benefit rate, you must submit a new claim for benefits at labor.ny.gov/signin or by calling 888-209-8124.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: March 18, 2021, 06:02:54 PM »
Just got this from NYS DOL. Question is how this applies to people on partial unemployment (lost job to covid and working as needed since May)
If you're working partially you most likely earned 10X your WBA, and you'll need to refile.

Offline Ellen

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: March 18, 2021, 06:05:45 PM »
If earning less then $504 weekly, will I qualify when I refile?
Also, when they say, "return to work" don't they mean full time work?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3855 on: March 18, 2021, 06:10:22 PM »
If earning less then $504 weekly, will I qualify when I refile?
Also, when they say, "return to work" don't they mean full time work?
You'll either qualify for UI with a reduced WBA, or you'll qualify for PUA if you earned too little.
No, it refers to any W2 work.

Offline Ellen

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: March 18, 2021, 06:17:50 PM »
No, it refers to any W2 work.
Does this apply to the certification form as well?
They ask in the same form how many days a week worked and if returned to work...
How is it possible to work if you didnt return to work? Does it only mean self employment?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: March 18, 2021, 06:36:48 PM »
Does this apply to the certification form as well?
They ask in the same form how many days a week worked and if returned to work...
How is it possible to work if you didnt return to work? Does it only mean self employment?
On the certification form it doesn't really mean anything- doesn't change your eligibility.

Offline sams

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: March 18, 2021, 07:46:50 PM »
Nj backpay claim ,someone was told to certify for all week at once which they did ,then the 1st week came back under review and all the rest got email came back not payable,Is this normal ?any recommendations what can be done possibly ?thank you

Offline kishke

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: March 23, 2021, 07:36:16 AM »
I’m still unemployed part time, n filling weekly, I git this morning my pay into the bank,
But not the extra $300, that supposed to continue till end of summer (NY)
Any one else??