Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 477927 times)

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #4020 on: January 27, 2022, 11:56:54 AM »
How nice! I should charge them interest for holding it for 13 months :P

Maybe an accountant has a workable solution for you, I’m surprised I couldn’t find anything on Google about your situation, figured it would be more common. My searches kept returning results about 2021 UI not having any deduction, the internets are overflowing with that.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #4021 on: January 27, 2022, 11:57:56 AM »
Maybe an accountant has a workable solution for you, I’m surprised I couldn’t find anything on Google about your situation, figured it would be more common. My searches kept returning results about 2021 UI not having any deduction, the internets are overflowing with that.
I will ask! Thanks for your help.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: January 27, 2022, 11:59:22 AM »
I will ask! Thanks for your help.

It's potentially a ton of $$, especially since it could affect AGI and eligibility for certain credits where getting the deduction gets one under the threshold.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: January 27, 2022, 12:04:22 PM »
Everything I’m reading tells me it goes by when the benefits were collected/paid, so unfortunately it seems you’d be SOL on the $10.4k/20.8k deduction.

I wonder if an independent-contractor/sole-proprietor who got PUA and used accrual accounting can record the unemployment for 2020, but I don’t think that would fly.
There's no accrual option for W2 or 1099-G, only for business income (Schedule C).

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: January 27, 2022, 12:06:07 PM »
It's potentially a ton of $$, especially since it could affect AGI and eligibility for certain credits where getting the deduction gets one under the threshold.
It was only a few weeks of UI so hopefully not a huge difference but we'll see what the accountant can do.

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: January 27, 2022, 01:32:34 PM »

Offline gogreen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: January 27, 2022, 01:55:42 PM »
Per this link it looks like UI benefits are not included in the EITC calculations
https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/earned-income-and-earned-income-tax-credit-eitc-tables

It doesn't count as earned income, but it does count towards your AGI. It can put you over the limit for eligibility.

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: January 27, 2022, 01:57:37 PM »
It doesn't count as earned income, but it does count towards your AGI. It can put you over the limit for eligibility.
aha thanks

Offline fromt911

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: February 27, 2022, 11:29:36 AM »
Back in march 2020 I applied and successfully received PUA. I just received an email from DOL that I need to prove that I was planning to begin employment. I'm looking for an accountant to speak to that can help and guide me or does anyone have any other ideas?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: February 27, 2022, 12:12:16 PM »
Back in march 2020 I applied and successfully received PUA. I just received an email from DOL that I need to prove that I was planning to begin employment. I'm looking for an accountant to speak to that can help and guide me or does anyone have any other ideas?
How did you qualify for PUA? Is it because you're self-employed? Received a job offer and were unable to start due to the pandemic?

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #4030 on: March 01, 2022, 09:27:41 AM »
pretty interesting that they're waking up now.
  Basically anyone who got UI aside for the PUA should not need to fill this out. As you can see clearly I was in the workforce at one point and now wasn't working.

Dear New Yorker,

Our records show that you received Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) benefits for one or more weeks between December 27, 2020 and September 5, 2021. According to federal law, you must now provide documentation to verify that:

You were eligible for PUA benefits when you filed your original PUA application, and
You made your weekly certifications to claim benefits
You must prove that you were part of the workforce, by providing proof of:

Employment
Self-employment, or
That you were planning to begin employment or self-employment
To submit documentation of your eligibility for PUA benefits, please visit pua.labor.ny.gov. Follow all of the instructions.

You must provide proof no later than June 1, 2022. You can find a full list of documents to prove employment at: dol.ny.gov/pua-documentation

Claimants who received a week or more of unemployment benefits on or after December 27, 2020 must send in documentation. You must do this even if you believe you have provided this information before.

If you fail to provide your documentation to substantiate your employment, self-employment, or the planned beginning of employment or self-employment prior to the COVID-19 pandemic by June 1, 2022, you will be issued an appealable determination. This determination will deem you ineligible for PUA benefits for the entire period of your claim. You will also be determined overpaid for any benefits paid to you on or after December 27, 2020 and you will be responsible for paying back this overpayment to NYS DOL.

Once you have submitted your documentation by June 1, 2022, NYS DOL will contact you again if:

We need additional information, or
You are deemed ineligible for benefits via a determination letter
Please see our FAQ page at dol.ny.gov/pua-documentation for more information and a list of documents you can use to prove employment, self-employment, or the planned beginning of employment or self-employment.

Thank you.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #4031 on: March 01, 2022, 09:32:00 AM »
How did you qualify for PUA? Is it because you're self-employed? Received a job offer and were unable to start due to the pandemic?
You were eligible for PUA benefits when you filed your original PUA application, and
You made your weekly certifications to claim benefits.

If one got the pua because he filed for UA and by default it came along, or was is in fact true that I needed to file for that separately?

And what exactly do they want for me to obtain in regards to the weekly benefits? If I got the money for those weeks then obviously I claimed the weekly benefits. How do they want me to prove I got the weekly benefits? A screenshot of the payments?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: March 01, 2022, 09:41:05 AM »
If one got the pua because he filed for UA and by default it came along, or was is in fact true that I needed to file for that separately?
PUA was unemployment for those that don't generally qualify such as the self-employed or those that entered the workforce right before covid hit. (It's not the bonus that was added weekly on top of the UI/PUA funds).

Offline JuryDuty

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: March 01, 2022, 11:02:38 PM »
Yes, what exactly is needed to be provided? Got unemployment bec previously self employed
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline yosefsv

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: March 01, 2022, 11:26:51 PM »
Yes, what exactly is needed to be provided? Got unemployment bec previously self employed
One of the following:

Tax Return Form 1040 SE or Schedule C - Your Form 1040 SE or Schedule C must be for the year prior to year you applied for PUA benefits. For example, if you applied for PUA benefits in March 2020, your Form 1040 SE or Schedule C must be for calendar year 2019. You are not required to upload your entire tax return – please just submit Schedule SE (Form 1040) or Schedule C (Form 1040).
Copies of 1099 Form(s) - The 1099 Form must be for the year prior to year you applied for PUA benefits. For example, if you applied for PUA benefits in March 2020, your 1099 Form must be for calendar year 2019.
State or Federal Employer Identification Numbers
Business License
Business Receipts
Signed affidavits from person(s) verifying your self-employment
- The affidavit must include the name and contact information for the person(s) verifying your pending self-employment.
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #4035 on: March 01, 2022, 11:28:13 PM »
Self employed individuals should provide a 2019 Schedule C (or K1).

Offline yosefsv

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: March 01, 2022, 11:42:55 PM »

And what exactly do they want for me to obtain in regards to the weekly benefits? If I got the money for those weeks then obviously I claimed the weekly benefits. How do they want me to prove I got the weekly benefits? A screenshot of the payments?
It looks like that they do not actually ask for proof of that now. There is no option to provide proof of this on the submission page.
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline Aaroncar

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: March 02, 2022, 11:11:01 AM »
Self employed individuals should provide a 2019 Schedule C (or K1).
If I am providing "Signed affidavits from person(s) verifying your self-employment"
Does that mean: I as the person working sign a notarized statement that I (for example) did some tutoring, or that the person I provided services for, sign?

Does it have to be notarized?

Is that enough proof, Or do I need more?

For which year did the self employment have to happen, sometime before December 2020
Or specifically in the year 2019 (as the official documents like schedule C have to be for)?

Offline shmoe joe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: March 02, 2022, 11:37:38 AM »
My brother got email
Dear New Yorker,

Our records show that you received Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) benefits for one or more weeks between December 27, 2020 and September 5, 2021. According to federal law, you must now provide documentation to verify that:

You made your weekly certifications to claim benefits
You must prove that you were part of the workforce, by providing proof of:

Employment
Self-employment, or That you were planning to begin employment or self-employment how does he proof the last option How does he proof that He looked every day in the classified?
P.s. reply’s in pm is appreciated too ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 11:41:34 AM by shmoe joe »
give some love (likes) to a brother!

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: March 02, 2022, 12:10:00 PM »
If I am providing "Signed affidavits from person(s) verifying your self-employment"
Does that mean: I as the person working sign a notarized statement that I (for example) did some tutoring, or that the person I provided services for, sign?

Does it have to be notarized?

Is that enough proof, Or do I need more?

For which year did the self employment have to happen, sometime before December 2020
Or specifically in the year 2019 (as the official documents like schedule C have to be for)?
The affidavit needs to be from someone else (for example a customer or supplier). It doesn't need to be notarized.
They're looking for proof prior to March 2020, so 2019 or early 2020 is good. The affidavit can be today but should reference work done in 2019/early 2020.