Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470656 times)

Online zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #160 on: April 24, 2020, 12:46:03 AM »
Did you have W2 income in 2019 even though you were self-employed after?

I am still on W2, but not qualified for regular unemployment because I'm clergy.

Online Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #161 on: April 24, 2020, 01:06:51 AM »
Thanks. Regular DD came a couple of days ago, no sign of the extra $600 yet.
hopefully tomorrow is your lucky day ;)
#TYH

Offline JunkYardUnz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 24, 2020, 01:10:00 AM »
I am still on W2, but not qualified for regular unemployment because I'm clergy.
Are you asking if you get the PUA on the parsonage?

Offline Proisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #163 on: April 24, 2020, 02:38:09 AM »
Can anyone please guide me regarding PUA? I was self employed/contractor. I live in NJ. I was approved for 0$ benefit rate. I am completely lost and not sure who to talk to.

thank you!

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #164 on: April 24, 2020, 03:03:07 AM »
Can anyone please guide me regarding PUA? I was self employed/contractor. I live in NJ. I was approved for 0$ benefit rate. I am completely lost and not sure who to talk to.

thank you!
You applied for PUA or through reg unemployment?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 24, 2020, 07:08:35 AM »
If I’m self-employed and I am making a lot less money because my hours are limited because I’m now busy with childcare, can I apply for unemployment? PUA?

Offline Proisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 24, 2020, 07:11:18 AM »
You applied for PUA or through reg unemployment?

Regular....I didn't see an option for PUA

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 24, 2020, 07:15:08 AM »
Regular....I didn't see an option for PUA

In NY there wasn’t a PUA option until a week or so ago.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 24, 2020, 07:16:48 AM »
If I’m self-employed and I am making a lot less money because my hours are limited because I’m now busy with childcare, can I apply for unemployment? PUA?

This is classic PUA, depending on how much you work/earn would determine your exact eligibility/benefits. Great to qualify for unemployment (via PUA) even if the unemployment payout is low, because it makes you eligible for the extra/flat $600/week for the federal government.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Proisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 24, 2020, 07:23:20 AM »
In NY there wasn’t a PUA option until a week or so ago.

So NJ does not have a PUA option?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 24, 2020, 07:32:20 AM »

I have no idea what the NJ application process, but PUA is federally funded and I’m sure it’s available in NJ, not sure how you apply.

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 24, 2020, 08:58:24 AM »
Not yet, they say they're working on it and in the meantime you should apply for regular UI.

https://myunemployment.nj.gov/independentcontractors.shtml

Offline Proisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 24, 2020, 09:08:15 AM »
Not yet, they say they're working on it and in the meantime you should apply for regular UI.

https://myunemployment.nj.gov/independentcontractors.shtml

I applied but it shows 0$ as how much I get.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 24, 2020, 09:35:57 AM »
This is classic PUA, depending on how much you work/earn would determine your exact eligibility/benefits. Great to qualify for unemployment (via PUA) even if the unemployment payout is low, because it makes you eligible for the extra/flat $600/week for the federal government.
Thanks!

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 24, 2020, 09:39:16 AM »
I applied but it shows 0$ as how much I get.
Check upthread but that seems to be normal for NJ right now. You'll need to wait for further instructions on how to proceed with PUA.

Offline ae123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 24, 2020, 10:10:55 AM »
Alert by email to read message in Labor Dept Inbox
Strange.
All I got was an email saying to wait with a link to this https://myunemployment.nj.gov/labor/myunemployment/assets/pdfs/UI_process_selfemployed.pdf
which doesn't either say anything about applying for PUA.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 24, 2020, 11:23:45 AM »
Can someone wikify the process for NY/NJ? Having a difficult time understanding it.
Took a stab at it. Need someone with more info on NJ process to update.

Offline chinagel

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 24, 2020, 12:13:27 PM »
Took a stab at it. Need someone with more info on NJ process to update.
Thanks.

Offline yoshapman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 24, 2020, 12:48:10 PM »
Laid off 4/17, so started first filing in NY last Wednesday corresponding with the letter of my name. Said "To complete your claim, a Department of Labor call center agent will call you within 72 hours." Has this been happening, meaning have people been getting calls, or do I actually have to call up to complete something before they would start paying? Also, is all I have to do is login for 2 minutes every Wednesday and confirm that I am looking for work and have not been paid anything that week, or is there something more to it? First time ever doing this, and after original filing didn't receive any email confirmation or further instructions, so just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 24, 2020, 12:59:04 PM »
Said "To complete your claim, a Department of Labor call center agent will call you within 72 hours." Has this been happening, meaning have people been getting calls, or do I actually have to call up to complete something before they would start paying?

They haven't been calling many, but some are getting approvals even if they got that message, so just log into your account to see if you're able to certify. If you are, you're approved (assuming you didn't get a $0 benefit determination).

Also, is all I have to do is login for 2 minutes every Wednesday and confirm that I am looking for work and have not been paid anything that week, or is there something more to it?

Just that. Shouldn't take more than a min each week.