Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470683 times)

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #180 on: April 24, 2020, 01:34:40 PM »
Thank you @cgr for the informative wiki!

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 24, 2020, 05:50:36 PM »
DP: Just got my PUA in NY. 8 days after filling out the PUA form online. DD into Capital One
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 24, 2020, 06:47:15 PM »
DP: Just got my PUA in NY. 8 days after filling out the PUA form online. DD into Capital One

Mazal Tov, did they pay you for all the weeks you didn’t work?

Just the PUA or the $600 as well?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 24, 2020, 06:52:11 PM »
Mazal Tov, did they pay you for all the weeks you didn’t work?

Just the PUA or the $600 as well?
PUA is $600 IINM

Only got $600 no clue for what period. Doesnt show up in the Payments section of my NYS claim. Came in as NYS DOL UI DD
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 24, 2020, 06:55:58 PM »
PUA is $600 IINM

Only got $600 no clue for what period. Doesnt show up in the Payments section of my NYS claim. Came in as NYS DOL UI DD

Then you probably just got the federal $600 flat bonus, dunno what that’s called. PUA is extended eligibility for people not typically eligible for UI (such as self-employed or independent contractors). If you got PUA then you’d end up getting your weekly benefits + $600 week.

Unlikely to be UI because as NYS caps weekly benefits at $504.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 24, 2020, 06:59:21 PM »
Then you probably just got the federal $600 flat bonus, dunno what that’s called. PUA is extended eligibility for people not typically eligible for UI (such as self-employed or independent contractors). If you got PUA then you’d end up getting your weekly benefits + $600 week.

Unlikely to be UI because as NYS caps weekly benefits at $504.
So I got the bonus. I was denied by NYS as self employed so i guess thats all Im getting?

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 24, 2020, 07:01:38 PM »
So I got the bonus. I was denied by NYS as self employed so i guess thats all Im getting?

Something doesn’t make sense, my understanding is that:
1. As self employed you should be eligible for PUA
2. The $600 is supposed to be for anyone who is eligible for UI/PUA, which wouldn’t apply to you if you’re denied.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 24, 2020, 07:18:53 PM »
1. As self employed you should be eligible for PUA
2. The $600 is supposed to be for anyone who is eligible for UI/PUA, which wouldn’t apply to you if you’re denied.
Welcome to my world. I just say Thank You Hashem.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 25, 2020, 10:35:53 PM »
Welcome to my world. I just say Thank You Hashem.

Does your online account show your status as pending, or denied?

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 25, 2020, 11:32:48 PM »
Does your online account show your status as pending, or denied?
Says pending. Got letter today cant make heads or tails out of it. Says my benefit is $0

Online Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #190 on: April 25, 2020, 11:33:08 PM »
My sister in NY also just got the $600 flat.  I guess this is easy to calculate and its extra so first things first they are giving this and worrying later about the regular UI

Says pending. Got letter today cant make heads or tails out of it. Says my benefit is $0

I think easiest is to wait until this blows over a bit and collect all back money then. 
#TYH

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 25, 2020, 11:34:10 PM »
My sister in NY also just got the $600 flat.  I guess this is easy to calculate and its extra so first things first they are giving this and worrying later about the regular UI

Was she also “denied”?

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 25, 2020, 11:39:32 PM »
hopefully tomorrow is your lucky day ;)
Still nothing. :)

Online Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #193 on: April 25, 2020, 11:49:31 PM »
Was she also “denied”?
I'm not sure.  Will keep you posted.  Thanks
#TYH

Offline cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 26, 2020, 12:02:19 AM »
I know someone who got a $0 determination and is definitely eligible for regular UI (W2, long work history). Hasn't been able to talk to anyone of course, but looks like these errors are happening here and there. At least you're getting your $600...

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 26, 2020, 12:38:41 AM »

Being denied for UI(because of self employed) should not ruin eligibility for PUA

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 26, 2020, 12:56:53 AM »
Being denied for UI(because of self employed) should not ruin eligibility for PUA

I believe @hvaces42 said he applied for PUA.

Offline 12HRS

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 26, 2020, 01:00:29 AM »
I believe @hvaces42 said he applied for PUA.

in ny you have to first apply for UI and then they send you a PUA application a couple days later

Offline 12HRS

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 26, 2020, 01:03:15 AM »
Didn't the recently make it a combined application?

maybe but he applied before me and mine was that way (need a shrug emoji)

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 26, 2020, 01:03:51 AM »
in ny you have to first apply for UI and then they send you a PUA application a couple days later

1. He filled out the PUA form:

2. As of approx a week ago there's a combined application for both.