Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470588 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #200 on: April 26, 2020, 01:04:50 AM »
maybe but he applied before me and mine was that way (need a shrug emoji)

See my revised post where I quote that he applied for PUA. One of us is confused and considering the hour I wouldn't be surprised if it's me :)
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline maxie m

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 26, 2020, 10:01:24 AM »
 what's the average wait time these days for a call back? (Ny)
Dumb people learn from their own mistakes,smart people,from the mistakes of others

Online zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 26, 2020, 10:05:01 AM »
what's the average wait time these days for a call back? (Ny)

I applied before they started the callback system, but I got a call about a week after it started.

Offline maxie m

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 26, 2020, 11:03:05 AM »
I applied before they started the callback system, but I got a call about a week after it started.
thanks
Dumb people learn from their own mistakes,smart people,from the mistakes of others

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 26, 2020, 11:16:34 AM »
I am self-employed in NJ.
We applied a month ago and received an email two weeks ago that we are denied the regular unemployment benefits but should be getting the PUA and should just wait.
In the meantime I keep re-certifying every week. Although, today the site wasn't working.
Haven't gotten anything yet.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 26, 2020, 11:21:36 AM »
We applied a month ago and received an email two weeks ago that we are denied the regular unemployment benefits but should be getting the PUA and should just wait.
In the meantime I keep re-certifying every week. Although, today the site wasn't working.

Apparently it’s only 10-20 states that have figured out the $600 and PUA, don’t remember where I read this.

Some of these UI mainframe systems are build on COBOL which is older than most of the people claiming benefits :D
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 26, 2020, 11:33:37 AM »
Curious why you recertified, they write not do do anything until they figure out how to process it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 11:36:57 AM by shapsam »

Offline beeweegee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 26, 2020, 11:33:42 AM »
Are people who have lost their job applying for SNAP benefits? If so, how would it work if you qualify for SNAP due to current (lack of) income but in a month, unemployment may kick in and will also be backdated...?

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 26, 2020, 11:35:22 AM »
I know someone who got a $0 determination and is definitely eligible for regular UI (W2, long work history). Hasn't been able to talk to anyone of course, but looks like these errors are happening here and there. At least you're getting your $600...
Letter was Benefits determination letter with $000.00 weekly rate.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 26, 2020, 11:39:26 AM »
Letter was Benefits determination letter with $000.00 weekly rate.

I’m seeing $0 benefits but my status is pending, not denied.

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 26, 2020, 11:56:40 AM »
Apparently it’s only 10-20 states that have figured out the $600 and PUA, don’t remember where I read this.

Some of these UI mainframe systems are build on COBOL which is older than most of the people claiming benefits :D
Well, I'm supposed to be getting 2/3 of my weekly income from the State + $600 a week from Federal.
So far, haven't received a penny.
It's been 5 1/2 weeks.
Not so simple financially.

Offline cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 26, 2020, 11:57:18 AM »
Are people who have lost their job applying for SNAP benefits? If so, how would it work if you qualify for SNAP due to current (lack of) income but in a month, unemployment may kick in and will also be backdated...?
Wondering it the UI counts as income for programs as these. CARES Act clearly states that the additional $600 won't count as income towards Medicaid and CHIP eligibility, but haven't seen anything about other programs. Safe to assume it does count? Regarding Medicaid is it possible to be on for a month or two (assuming you can start a new plan after being kicked off)? Do they look at monthly income or annual?

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 26, 2020, 11:58:35 AM »
Curious why you recertified, they write not do do anything until they figure out how to process it.
I was afraid if I don't re-certify they may later deny me for these weeks.
Anyways, their site was down this morning.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 26, 2020, 11:59:50 AM »
Well, I'm supposed to be getting 2/3 of my weekly income from the State + $600 a week from Federal.
So far, haven't received a penny.
It's been 5 1/2 weeks.
Not so simple financially.

Every week these funds are delayed could cause the economic recovery to be delayed by multiple weeks.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 26, 2020, 12:01:42 PM »
Wondering it the UI counts as income for programs as these. CARES Act clearly states that the additional $600 won't count as income towards Medicaid and CHIP eligibility, but haven't seen anything about other programs. Safe to assume it does count? Regarding Medicaid is it possible to be on for a month or two (assuming you can start a new plan after being kicked off)? Do they look at monthly income or annual?

If UI is your current income you’re probably income-eligible for SNAP. The max for UI isn’t that high, especially for married people with children (who can have a higher income and still be eligible for SNAP).

Offline cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 26, 2020, 12:07:18 PM »
If UI is your current income you’re probably income-eligible for SNAP. The max for UI isn’t that high, especially for married people with children (who can have a higher income and still be eligible for SNAP).
Since I'm helping a diverse population of people- single, married, childless, etc was wondering about the actual rule if it counts or not. SNAP office phones seem just as bad as the DOL, and I have a feeling even if I get through they won't necessarily know. (Like when I called the PFL office to ask about the new rules, and the agent had to call her supervisor with my questions and his response was "I'm sorry, we don't know the rules".)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 26, 2020, 12:11:11 PM »
Since I'm helping a diverse population of people- single, married, childless, etc was wondering about the actual rule if it counts or not. SNAP office phones seem just as bad as the DOL, and I have a feeling even if I get through they won't necessarily know. (Like when I called the PFL office to ask about the new rules, and the agent had to call her supervisor with my questions and his response was "I'm sorry, we don't know the rules".)

Apply for snap before you get unemployment, by the time you need to recertify things will hopefully be better 

Online zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 26, 2020, 12:26:52 PM »

FYI, in NY they increased the SNAP benefits for March and April to the Maximum Monthly Benefit Amount. Not sure how it will work for people who apply now.

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 27, 2020, 11:17:59 AM »
i applied in nj around 3 weeks ago, and still show pending. every week i get an email explaining how to recertify every week. am i supposed to be answering those questions every week if i was never even approved yet?