Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 477578 times)

Offline ae123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #360 on: April 30, 2020, 09:20:55 PM »
For the weeks that included pesach, when certifying I wrote that there were 2 days that I was not "ready, willing, or able to work". They sent me a letter that they will deduct from my benefits. Anyone know if there's a way to get them not to deduct due to religious reasons or something?
No idea but thumbs up for your honesty.

Offline shulem92

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 30, 2020, 10:00:33 PM »

i applied in nj around 3 weeks ago, and still show pending. every week i get an email explaining how to recertify every week. am i supposed to be answering those questions every week if i was never even approved yet?
I would reply. Atleast in NY it can take up to 3 weeks and once approved youll get a few worth

Cant reply to the email, and when attempting certifying at my correct time, it errors out and says i need to speak to an agent.
yes.
Source? Even if claim is still pending? Because the email i received (quoted below) sounds like thats the not the case.
Same in NJ.
Source? Even if claim is still pending? Because the email i received (quoted below) sounds like thats the not the case.

Quote from: AN EMAIL I JUST RECEIVED IN RESPONSE TO A QUESTION I ASKED THEM
To get a status on your claim, please go to our website at https://myunemployment.nj.gov and select the ‘Check claim status here’ option.  Enter your information for the status of your claim.  Keep checking daily until your Claim Status shows ‘Filed’.  Once it’s in that status and shows your Weekly Benefit Rate (WBR), you may Certify for Weekly Benefits (which is the next option next to the one for checking your claim status).

- If your claim status is showing as "Pending," please continue to check until it is showing as "Filed".  Please check back regularly for an update to your status, but be aware that due to the unprecedented volume of claims filed, there may be a 2-3 week delay.

It would seeem like fom this email that you cant certify until your case transitions from pending to filed.

See this link https://myunemployment.nj.gov/help/contact-us/
Click on To send us an email

maybe try including your status bar that has the date in the screenshot.

These contact-us emails are all auto responses...

Thanks.
We actually got through on the phone to an office in NJ, though not the Ocean County one.
Hopefully, it'll all work out.
Try calling the Cumberland number.
We got through.
All the numbers end up on the same queue. I tried today at 8:45AM and they were already at max call volume for the day “please call back the next business day”.

PSA: i don’t know the legality of this advice, but the fact that you have to certify at a certain time, is really only like a “paywall”. If you make up the last 4 of the SSN to match the correct time slot, you will get into the actual certification window, and can then put in your correct info

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 30, 2020, 10:04:17 PM »

PSA: i don’t know the legality of this advice, but the fact that you have to certify at a certain time, is really only like a “paywall”. If you make up the last 4 of the SSN to match the correct time slot, you will get into the actual certification window, and can then put in your correct info
I did this too, wasn't sure if I should post it...

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 30, 2020, 10:06:13 PM »
Shulem92 -
I can only tell you what worked for us.
The Cumberland number picked up while the others never worked out.
I believe you should re-certify every week even before your claim is "filed". You have nothing to lose.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #364 on: April 30, 2020, 10:08:51 PM »

Cant reply to the email, and when attempting certifying at my correct time, it errors out and says i need to speak to an agent.Source? Even if claim is still pending? Because the email i received (quoted below) sounds like thats the not the case.Source? Even if claim is still pending? Because the email i received (quoted below) sounds like thats the not the case.

It would seeem like fom this email that you cant certify until your case transitions from pending to filed.

These contact-us emails are all auto responses...
All the numbers end up on the same queue. I tried today at 8:45AM and they were already at max call volume for the day “please call back the next business day”.

I'm not sure your question but I know that you need to certify your hours each week
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline nucheiner

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 30, 2020, 11:07:00 PM »
No idea but thumbs up for your honesty.
This isn't honesty its incorrect. If your daughter was getting married that day, you are still "ready, willing, or able to work". In short regular circumstances which would have caused you to take a day off, not quit your job, should be ok. A litmus test would be if there exist an industry norm to receive pay for such days. I'm not a lawyer though.

This is like reporting to NJ Family care that you got a $20 tip. Yes the law REQUIRES you to and i'm sure the FBI can use this in the absence of a Mail Fraud charge. But this isn't the intent.

Online etech0

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #366 on: April 30, 2020, 11:09:52 PM »
This isn't honesty its incorrect. If your daughter was getting married that day, you are still "ready, willing, or able to work". In short regular circumstances which would have caused you to take a day off, not quit your job, should be ok. A litmus test would be if there exist an industry norm to receive pay for such days. I'm not a lawyer though.
Do you have a source for that?
I've heard of people who went to work the day their daughter got married. It's not the same as yom tov when halachically we are not allowed to work.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #367 on: April 30, 2020, 11:11:57 PM »

your probably right. my went from pending to filed with $0 payable
#TYH

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 30, 2020, 11:20:45 PM »
your probably right. my went from pending to filed with $0 payable
Either way if they are backdating claims, do they have a system for you to certify for the prior weeks? Or do they just assume?

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 30, 2020, 11:22:01 PM »
Shulem92 -
I can only tell you what worked for us.
The Cumberland number picked up while the others never worked out.
I believe you should re-certify every week even before your claim is "filed". You have nothing to lose.
the system wont let me...

I'm not sure your question but I know that you need to certify your hours each week
my original question was if i have to certify every week if my claim is still pending. As per the email i received, and the fact that the system doesnt allow me to certify, i am assuming that i cant. I just wanted to verify if all those here who were saying i have to certify every week were talking in general, or specifically in my scenario where my claim is still pending as opposed to filed.

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 30, 2020, 11:23:13 PM »
Either way if they are backdating claims, do they have a system for you to certify for the prior weeks? Or do they just assume?
i havent been able to succesfully certify since my application 3.5 weeks ago. If only i can get through to an agent to find out the answers to all these questions

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 30, 2020, 11:24:58 PM »
the system wont let me...
my original question was if i have to certify every week if my claim is still pending. As per the email i received, and the fact that the system doesnt allow me to certify, i am assuming that i cant. I just wanted to verify if all those here who were saying i have to certify every week were talking in general, or specifically in my scenario where my claim is still pending as opposed to filed.
Got it. After your claim is approved you will claim back to the start date. You do not need to do it every week if you don't mind waiting for your check either.

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 30, 2020, 11:29:41 PM »
Got it. After your claim is approved you will claim back to the start date. You do not need to do it every week if you don't mind waiting for your check either.
Do you know if it's the same in NY?

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 30, 2020, 11:32:15 PM »
No clue. I only know because I helped my daughter.

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 30, 2020, 11:32:31 PM »
No clue. I only know because I helped my daughter.
Thanks anyways

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #375 on: April 30, 2020, 11:34:43 PM »
in NJ they are opening the new system tomorrow morning for PUA claims. see my post above.  hopefully many questions will be answered
#TYH

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 30, 2020, 11:38:30 PM »
I wouldn’t mind the check already, but i have no way of certifying. BH our stimulus check came in the mail today.

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 01, 2020, 02:01:13 AM »

I certified for the past weeks when they called me to complete the application.

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 01, 2020, 03:12:39 AM »
Do you have a source for that?
I've heard of people who went to work the day their daughter got married. It's not the same as yom tov when halachically we are not allowed to work.
Do you deduct a day for Shabbos as well?

https://www.labor.ny.gov/formsdocs/ui/TC318.3e.pdf
Ready, willing and able: When filing for Unemployment Insurance benefits, you must be prepared to
take a job right away, even at a moment’s notice. You must also be able to work (not sick, hospitalized
or unable to get childcare). Every week, you must verify that you were ready, willing and able to work.

I'm no expert, but this is how I'm interpreting the below (based off your question):
Effective Day: Each day in a week (Monday through Sunday) that you qualify for benefits is called an
effective day. There is a maximum of four effective days each week, and you must qualify for all four
effective days in order to receive your total weekly benefit rate.
For each day in the week that you
are not eligible to receive benefits, you will receive one less effective day, which is equivalent to one
fourth of your weekly benefit rate. For example, if you are not available to work one day in a week, or
if you have worked any part of a day, or have received vacation or holiday pay for one day in a week,
your benefits will be reduced by one effective day (the same as one-quarter of your benefit rate). You
can receive a maximum of 104 effective days on your claim, which is equivalent to 26 full weeks (4
effective days per week x 26 weeks = 104 effective days).

Each week that included Pesach, there were 4 days that you were "available" to work, and would count those as your "effective" "ready, willing and able to work" days. The fact that there were also 3 days that you were not available (due to Shabbos and Yom Tov), should not make a difference, as you already reached the "max allowed effective days".

Online YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 01, 2020, 09:23:30 AM »
Got this email (in NJ). Is it legit? Just want to make sure before I give any personal info...

The application was submitted last night. The email is from newjerseyunemploymentbenefits-donotreply@dol.nj.gov. The link leads to adjudicate-newjerseyunemployment.force.com/.

This is an automatically generated email.  This inbox is not monitored and any emails received will not be responded to.

Our records indicate one or more unresolved issues on your unemployment claim, which must be addressed before any benefits can be paid to you. Your response to this fact-finding questionnaire constitutes your full statement to a claims examiner. It will be used to decide your eligibility for benefits. Provide complete and detailed information. Once you have submitted your questionnaire, you cannot make any changes to your statement.

It is possible you may receive multiple emails with a link to a questionnaire that must be filled out. Please follow the link for each email, and fill out all questionnaires sent to you.

Your form has not been submitted until you click the Submit button on the Certify & Submit page. You will receive a confirmation email upon successful submission of your completed form. If you do not receive an email, your form may not have been submitted properly and we will be unable to use your statement to make a determination on your eligibility for benefits.

A written decision will be mailed to your home address of record to notify you of the results of your fact-finding. If you do not submit the questionnaire by 5/11/2020, this link will become inactive and a decision may be made based on available information.

Click on the link below to answer a series of questions regarding the issue(s) identified on your claim:

Form Link: Claimant Form

You have the following rights when providing a statement via electronic questionnaire: 1) You may represent yourself or you may be represented at your own expense by an attorney or non-attorney, 2) You may request a postponement, if you require additional time to prepare your response to this questionnaire, 3) You may request that your employer produce any documents which relate to your eligibility for benefits, 4) You may request that statements be taken from your witnesses who have firsthand knowledge of the case, 5) You or your representative will have the opportunity to provide witness statements, present documents and provide a closing statement or summary, and 6) If the reason for the questionnaire is related to your employment, any questions that you may have for your former employer may be included on the form and the reviewing claims examiner may, at his/her discretion, pose the question(s) to your former employer.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 09:26:44 AM by YitzyS »