Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470938 times)

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #420 on: May 01, 2020, 05:44:39 PM »
Sorry, but I didn't get that.

Last 5 quarters are Q1 '19,  Q2 '19, Q3 '19, Q4 '19, and  Q1 '20. The first 4 quarters of that is  Q1 '19,  Q2 '19, Q3 '19, and Q4 '19.

Offline ae123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 01, 2020, 05:49:00 PM »
Last 5 quarters are Q1 '19,  Q2 '19, Q3 '19, Q4 '19, and  Q1 '20. The first 4 quarters of that is  Q1 '19,  Q2 '19, Q3 '19, and Q4 '19.
Thanks.

Offline TBD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 01, 2020, 06:14:37 PM »
SIDE BENEFIT FROM NY UI :-*

In late April 2020 we discovered an issue with mailings that may have affected you. A letter containing your personally identifiable information may have been inadvertently included in an envelope addressed to another person. Out of an abundance of caution and concern for the integrity of your personal and confidential information, this e-mail is to advise you of the issue and to inform you that the New York State Department of Labor will be providing you with free credit monitoring for one year. Early next week you will receive a letter from the Department of Labor with information on how to sign up for the free credit monitoring service.

If you do not receive this letter next week please contact the Department of Labor at creditmonitoring@labor.ny.gov and we will get back to you as soon as possible

Offline cgr

• View Profile

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 02, 2020, 09:39:11 PM »
Correct. In NJ you need a 20% wage and hour cut to qualify for partial UI.
Does anyone know if the 20% is based on current income or that convoluted 4/5 recent quarters time period?
Thanks.

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 02, 2020, 09:50:09 PM »

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 02, 2020, 09:58:37 PM »
Does anyone know if the 20% is based on current income or that convoluted 4/5 recent quarters time period?
Thanks.

Just reread the rules and looks like 20% is for hours only. No mention of wages needing to be reduced.
Note that for you to receive a payment it must be less than your PWBR (partial benefit rate) so technically that means that your wages must be reduced by 20%- otherwise you're earning more than PWBR. (WBR is 60% of wages, PWBR is that plus 20% for a total of 80% of wages roughly)
The only scenario I see where you could be eligible with no pay cut is if you have a new job where pay is 20% less and you were employed somewhere else for 20% more in the first 4 of the last 5 quarters.

Anyone familiar with NJ want can confirm?
https://myunemployment.nj.gov/before/about/calculator/

@ae123 this might be useful to you too- although the actual rule seems to be different than I thought, the qualification to get payment seems to be the same so not sure it makes a difference.

Offline meilich

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 02, 2020, 10:04:05 PM »
For a self employed that was approved for unemployment would applying now for an eidl loan (not ppp) affect my unemployment benefits?

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 02, 2020, 10:07:54 PM »
@ae123 this might be useful to you too- although the actual rule seems to be different than I thought, the qualification to get payment seems to be the same so not sure it makes a difference.
Thank you.
Still not sure if I should apply or not.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 02, 2020, 10:13:29 PM »
I have a question, I hope someone here can help.

I filed a claim a week ago in NJ, being self-employed with a drop in income. I made a mistake on the application, checking off "not employed", as I didn't see an option for self-employed. On Friday, I found out how to properly fill out the application (thanks DDF) and I filed a new claim with the correct info.

My first claim was denied. Should I file an appeal on my first claim (saying that I made a mistake on the application), or will my second application kick in and supersede the first one?

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 02, 2020, 10:48:09 PM »
https://lwdwebpt.dol.state.nj.us/claimstatus-docs/What%20does%20your%20claim%20status%20mean.docx.pdf

*If your claim status is "filed" and there is a dollar amount in the WBR field, you should certify
for benefits according to the posted schedule on myunemployment.nj.gov.
*If your claim status is "filed" and there is a zero in the WBR field, more wage information is
needed to process your claim. Please check your Inbox for an email from e-Adjudication or for
an appointment for a telephone interview in the mail to request more information.
*If your claim status is "pending", additional information or a claims agent's review is needed to
process your claim. Please check your Inbox for an email from e-Adjudication or for an
appointment for a telephone interview in the mail to request more information.
*If your claim status is blank, we do not have a claim on record for you at this time. Please visit
myunemployment.nj.gov to file a claim.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 02, 2020, 11:49:49 PM »
For a self employed that was approved for unemployment would applying now for an eidl loan (not ppp) affect my unemployment benefits?

@meilich

I do not believe EIDL is accepting applications. You're in NY and were approved for PUA? What payments did you already get if any, and when did you apply?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline davidjw0914

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 03, 2020, 12:11:28 AM »
I was pending filled out the e adjudication and am still pending a month later. I am in NJ and can’t reach anyone , what do I do?

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 03, 2020, 10:44:37 AM »
Just reread the rules and looks like 20% is for hours only. No mention of wages needing to be reduced.
Note that for you to receive a payment it must be less than your PWBR (partial benefit rate) so technically that means that your wages must be reduced by 20%- otherwise you're earning more than PWBR. (WBR is 60% of wages, PWBR is that plus 20% for a total of 80% of wages roughly)
The only scenario I see where you could be eligible with no pay cut is if you have a new job where pay is 20% less and you were employed somewhere else for 20% more in the first 4 of the last 5 quarters.

Anyone familiar with NJ want can confirm?
https://myunemployment.nj.gov/before/about/calculator/

Thanks. Does anyone else know definitively?

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #435 on: May 03, 2020, 10:52:33 AM »
I was pending filled out the e adjudication and am still pending a month later. I am in NJ and can’t reach anyone , what do I do?
Mine is longer pending - it says filed, but we still have not received anything and it's been over a month.
When we re-certified today we got an email that our claim is not payable.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 03, 2020, 12:22:41 PM »
I've been doing some more research on housing allowance/parsonage.
NY asks for "net income" to determine PUA. No clear guidance on what to include.

Based on other states requirements, I'm advising to calculate and provide documentation for the following (don't add in losses to your total. Those count as 0)
1040 Return-  Line 7b
Schedule C-  Line 31
Schedule E-  Line 32

In other words- if it carries through to your personal return on one of these Schedules, you should include. If you receive a determination and they tell you that they specifically excluded one of these from your calculation, please let me know.

My mistake- it's just 1040 Return-  Line 7b. The others already flow through to this line. (not sure why some states are telling you to put in all 3...)

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #437 on: May 03, 2020, 12:25:49 PM »
Mine is longer pending - it says filed, but we still have not received anything and it's been over a month.
When we re-certified today we got an email that our claim is not payable.
Does it show a dollar amount by the benefit amount?
#TYH

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 03, 2020, 12:27:39 PM »
Anyone know how to request backpay in NJ?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #439 on: May 03, 2020, 12:36:35 PM »
Does it show a dollar amount by the benefit amount?
I filed as self employed before the new rules came out, was pending for a while, then it switched to filed and $0 amount. Got a letter in the mail yesterday saying to claim weekly benefits, but I never received an email asking for wage information. What to do? File again following PUA instructions? @Mordyk
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.