Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470608 times)

Offline shulem92

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #500 on: May 04, 2020, 11:20:44 AM »
nj. finally went from pending to filed after 4 weeks. filed on april 5th.
online i get this now:
Claim Status: Filed
Date of Claim: 04/05/2020
Weekly Benefit Rate: $xxx
Remaining Balance: $xxx
Next Payable Week: 05/02/2020
Last Week Paid: 04/25/2020
Last Paid Amount: $xxx

what is the process now? i didn't get any money yet, and how do i get my money for the last 4 weeks.
why does it say last week paid was 4/25 when i didnt get anything yet?
FTR i didnt receive any emails yet or physical mail

didnt certify anything yet, but got a DD for $1800 today. assuming thats for the last 3 weeks. i guess theyre not backdating automatically? because i filed on 4/5 but was laid off 3/16

Offline cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 04, 2020, 11:29:56 AM »
didnt certify anything yet, but got a DD for $1800 today. assuming thats for the last 3 weeks. i guess theyre not backdating automatically? because i filed on 4/5 but was laid off 3/16

Check your account to see what it's for.

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 04, 2020, 11:34:43 AM »
Check your account to see what it's for.
doesnt say. unless im looking in the wrong place?

Offline coffeebean

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 04, 2020, 11:35:39 AM »
Just received debit card in the mail even though I requested DD

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #504 on: May 04, 2020, 11:37:30 AM »
I know someone that happened too, the next week he got DD. I guess it took time to verify the bank account.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 04, 2020, 01:38:09 PM »
DW got $600 DD today (in NJ). Filed two weeks ago, got first regular UI last week.

Offline SwellCindy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 04, 2020, 01:38:33 PM »

NY or NJ?

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #507 on: May 04, 2020, 01:39:58 PM »
Sounds like you’ve only been getting the extra $600, not the regular State part of the unemployment, and that’s only applicable from the week ending 4/5 and on
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline coffeebean

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 04, 2020, 01:44:39 PM »

Offline ah giten

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 04, 2020, 03:13:31 PM »
Is there a minimum amount of, money, or months, of prior earnings to be eligible to file for PUA?
If I made $1000 the last 6 months before COVID, am I eligible?
If I made $1000 the last 2 months before COVID, am I eligible?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #510 on: May 04, 2020, 03:38:39 PM »
Is there a minimum amount of, money, or months, of prior earnings to be eligible to file for PUA?
If I made $1000 the last 6 months before COVID, am I eligible?
If I made $1000 the last 2 months before COVID, am I eligible?
Normally, states have minimum income requirements for UI. CARES Act clearly states that anyone not meeting those requirements is eligible for PUA. I'm not sure what that means- what if I earned $10 am I eligible?
Regardless, they don't penalize you for applying for UI so you can always try.

Here's the official text if you're interested in the legalities:
https://wdr.doleta.gov/directives/attach/UIPL/UIPL_16-20_acc.pdf
The PUA WBA is equal to the WBA authorized under state UC law where the individual was employed. In no case will the amount be less than the minimum WBA described in 20 C.F.R 625.6. For individuals without reported wages sufficient to establish a WBA, the WBA will be calculated according to processes for DUA benefits set out in 20 C.F.R. 625.6.

Now for 20 C.F.R. 625.6:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/20/625.6#b
If the weekly amount computed under paragraph (a) of this section is less than 50 percent of the average weekly payment of regular compensation in the State, as provided quarterly by the Department, or, if the individual has insufficient wages from employment or insufficient or no net income from self-employment (which includes individuals falling within paragraphs (a)(3) and (b)(3) of § 625.5) in the applicable base period to compute a weekly amount under paragraph (a) of this section, the individual shall be determined entitled to a weekly amount equal to 50 percent of the average weekly payment of regular compensation in the State.

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 04, 2020, 05:40:32 PM »
Where do I find the state employer payroll number (NJ)?

Offline coffeebean

• View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 04, 2020, 05:42:46 PM »
Are you self employed?

Offline shapsam

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 04, 2020, 05:44:40 PM »
Are you self employed?
Asking for someone on a W2.

Offline shapsam

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 04, 2020, 05:46:21 PM »

Offline yitzf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 04, 2020, 07:06:50 PM »
One of the eligible scenarios for PUA is:
"Individual is primary caregiver for child or family member unable to attend school or another facility closed due to COVID-19"

How does that interplay with FFCRA? (Paid family leave at 60% and the employer gets tax credits for the amount)
"18. I am unable to work because I must be home to watch my children. What assistance is available?
The federal government created a program to help employers continue to pay their employees during COVID-19 through the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA).

If someone is the primary caregiver of kids out of school, can you choose which program to use?
Can you just file for unemployment and get the additional $600?

Thanks!

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 04, 2020, 07:07:10 PM »
It's on the w-2

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 04, 2020, 07:08:31 PM »
"Individual is primary caregiver for child or family member unable to attend school or another facility closed due to COVID-19"

How does that interplay with FFCRA? (Paid family leave at 60% and the employer gets tax credits for the amount)
If someone is the primary caregiver of kids out of school, can you choose which program to use?

Thanks!
Why can't you pick?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 04, 2020, 07:15:09 PM »

Thanks!

Someone upthread mentioned going on PUA in order to be able to collect UI due to caring for kids at home, but right now it doesn't look like the states have a mechanism of putting individuals who are eligible for standard UI on PUA.
If you're eligible for standard UI that's the program they have to put you on, and if you're on standard UI you're not eligible to stay home and care for kids so it's a bit of a conundrum.

Offline yitzf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 04, 2020, 07:24:45 PM »
Someone upthread mentioned going on PUA in order to be able to collect UI due to caring for kids at home, but right now it doesn't look like the states have a mechanism of putting individuals who are eligible for standard UI on PUA.
If you're eligible for standard UI that's the program they have to put you on, and if you're on standard UI you're not eligible to stay home and care for kids so it's a bit of a conundrum.

Do you mean aren't?

They are fully employed now. Can they quit and get unemployment?