Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470700 times)

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #640 on: May 10, 2020, 08:00:14 PM »
I know someone who lives in Israel but is an American citizen and works for a company in NY.
She tried to make a UI claim online but got a rejection notice that said something about being out of the usa...

The link 3 posts up says this.
"You may not be eligible to claim benefits outside the United States...

If you travel to a foreign country (except Canada), you should not claim benefits while you are in the foreign country. Call the Telephone Claim Center before your trip to find out if you can protect your benefit rights while you're away. "

Does this mean she should just try and call and would be eligible?

She should definitely call. They're flagging claims filed via locations out of state/country.
There's a 99% chance that her claim would be approved (she needs to explain that she works for a NY based company that has all its operations in NY- a company's operations being located in NY is usually the key for eligibility). There is a 1% chance that they'll deny her claim due to telecommuting. Haven't personally heard this happening to anyone, but I've read up on legal cases where they rejected telecommuting claims.

Another point- she's not travelling out of country and trying to claim from there.
See this:
For sure doesn't because you can collect unemployment in NY if you work for a NY employer even if you work out-of-state/country.
Telecommuting is not clear...

https://labor.ny.gov/ui/dande/covered1.shtm
Generally, services performed entirely outside NYS are excluded. However, if such services are not covered under the laws of any other state, they are covered under NYS law if performed: (1) outside the United States (except Canada and the Virgin Islands) by a citizen of the US for an American employer whose principal place of business is located in NYS; (2) within the United States, Canada or the Virgin Islands, if the place from which the services are directed and controlled is in NYS.

Filing from out-of-state because you live there and work for a NY employer is not the same as filing out-of-state because you're travelling while unemployed when your principal place of work is physically in NY.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 08:04:03 PM by cgr »

Offline ae123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: May 11, 2020, 10:26:12 AM »
NJ. Self-employed.

We just finally received a lump sum for 6 weeks of PUA (approximately 60% of earnings), retroactive to the week of claim filing.

1 - What happened to the FPUC of $600 per week? Do we need to do anything to get that or just wait?
2 - Weren't we supposed to get benefits retroactively from the date of unemployment, which was 1 1/2 weeks before the date the claim was filed?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:05:53 PM by ae123 »

Offline beeweegee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: May 11, 2020, 10:29:03 AM »
NJ.

We just finally received a lump sum for 6 weeks of PUA (approximately 60% of earnings), retroactive to the week of claim filing.

1 - What happened to the FPUC of $600 per week? Do we need to do anything to get that or just wait?
2 - Weren't we supposed to get benefits retroactively from the date of unemployment, which was 1 1/2 weeks before the date the claim was filed?

Thanks.
It seems that the answer to just about every question these days, including both of these questions, is - wait it out and it will get fixed over time, but it'll take some time for them to get the system right...

Offline pointer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: May 11, 2020, 11:34:32 AM »
NJ.

Thanks.
What specifically do you mean by PUA, you're a 1099 worker?

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 11, 2020, 12:06:37 PM »
What specifically do you mean by PUA, you're a 1099 worker?
Yes, self-employed. 1099.
Should have been more clear. Sorry.

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: May 11, 2020, 12:09:28 PM »
Did you get the email to fill out the special form?

Offline shulem92

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 11, 2020, 12:13:20 PM »

i got regular UI and have the same issue. just gonna wait it out

Offline TBD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 11, 2020, 12:20:28 PM »
Which proof did you had to submit?

Offline pointer

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 11, 2020, 12:29:53 PM »

I'm still waiting for mine, still says Weekly Benefit Rate: $0
What was the process by you?

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 11, 2020, 12:46:06 PM »
Yes.
2 days ago.
It was quick & easy.
But like I said, not retroactive to date of unemployment and no $600 per week.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:58:10 PM by ae123 »

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 11, 2020, 12:46:46 PM »
Which proof did you had to submit?
They didn't ask for any.
Supposedly, they are using the 2019 tax return.

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 11, 2020, 12:47:28 PM »
I'm still waiting for mine, still says Weekly Benefit Rate: $0
What was the process by you?
We filled out a form on March 29.
And kept re-certifying every week.
And kept waiting . . .

Offline pointer

• View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 11, 2020, 12:54:00 PM »
We filled out a form on March 29.
And kept re-certifying every week.
And kept waiting . . .
What form?
When I try to certify it gives me an error, tells me I have to call.

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 11, 2020, 12:57:12 PM »
What form?
When I try to certify it gives me an error, tells me I have to call.
We went through that a few times. But there are make-up times during the week and it always went through at some point.
It's almost impossible to get through on the phone. Best is to call exactly 8:30 AM or even a little earlier. See guidance from LRRC.

Offline pointer

• View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 11, 2020, 12:59:25 PM »
We went through that a few times. But there are make-up times during the week and it always went through at some point.

It went through by you even with a benefit rate of $0?

And what form did you fill out?

Thanks!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 11, 2020, 01:05:30 PM »

I’m still waiting for this...
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 11, 2020, 01:26:33 PM »
It went through by you even with a benefit rate of $0?
Yes, although upthread someone (Shulem?) said it wasn't working for him either.

And what form did you fill out?
Originally, the basic unemployment form on the website. After that, the re-certification form every week. 2 days ago, some new form they linked to in an email.

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 11, 2020, 01:28:43 PM »
I’m still waiting for this...
There's light at the end of the tunnel.
We waited many weeks.
Though like I said, we didn't get retroactive to the date of unemployment and not the $600 at all.

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 11, 2020, 01:33:41 PM »
Important data point.
When we finally received that email 2 days ago to fill out a new simple form, it asked us to certify separately for each week of unemployment, even though we already re-certified for all those weeks previously.
So my guess is that even those having trouble re-certifying will eventually be able to when they get the link to the new form.

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 11, 2020, 01:41:52 PM »
Important data point.
When we finally received that email 2 days ago to fill out a new simple form, it asked us to certify separately for each week of unemployment, even though we already re-certified for all those weeks previously.
So my guess is that even those having trouble re-certifying will eventually be able to when they get the link to the new form.
What's the subject line for that email?