Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 471039 times)

Online Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #700 on: May 12, 2020, 04:12:42 PM »
Self-employed. NJ.

Someone collecting unemployment but then has a baby, what should she do?
I never stopped working when i had a baby...
#TYH

Offline yosefsv

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: May 12, 2020, 05:33:39 PM »
Great news!
Just found out that the DOL fine-tuned the definition (again) for the $600.
Here it is: The federal supplement would not affect eligibility for other benefits like Medicaid, CHIP, SNAP, and housing assistance.
I know a few who were rejected by SNAP because UI income was too high, if that happens you'll need to file for a conference/hearing to explain why you are eligible.
Here is the official source if they ask for it: https://waysandmeans.house.gov/sites/democrats.waysandmeans.house.gov/files/documents/UC%20FAQ.pdf
Sent in this document to the local SNAP office, but the supervisor got back that this was only proposed, and that the final bill does allow to count it as income.
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline ae123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: May 12, 2020, 05:37:15 PM »
She shouldn't certify until she considers herself "ready, willing, and able to work". (that's up to her of course... especially now with most having the ability to telework)

1 - Let's say she doesn't re-certify for 3 weeks or so, would she then need to completely re-apply afterwards or just start re-certifying again?
2 - Is there any other benefit (family leave, disability, etc.) that she can claim during those few weeks that she wouldn't be working? (Remember she's self-employed and in NJ).

Thank you.

Online cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: May 12, 2020, 05:39:32 PM »
Sent in this document to the local SNAP office, but the supervisor got back that this was only proposed, and that the final bill does allow to count it as income.

Wow. That's crazy. They circulated a doc with no mention that it's a proposed bill and it includes an FAQ???
Something seems off...

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #704 on: May 12, 2020, 05:41:35 PM »
1 - Let's say she doesn't re-certify for 3 weeks or so, would she then need to completely re-apply afterwards or just start re-certifying again?
2 - Is there any other benefit (family leave, disability, etc.) that she can claim during those few weeks that she wouldn't be working? (Remember she's self-employed and in NJ).

Thank you.

1- just start re-certifying
2- a) you need to be employed to be on any of those programs b) those are programs you need to pay into before being eligible. As self-employed she probably didn't.

Offline yosefsv

• View Profile
« Reply #705 on: May 12, 2020, 05:46:53 PM »
Wow. That's crazy. They circulated a doc with no mention that it's a proposed bill and it includes an FAQ???
Something seems off...
The title is "Provisions Related to Unemployment Compensation in the Take Responsibility for Workers and Families Act" afaik this bill never passed

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: May 12, 2020, 05:49:20 PM »
The title is "Provisions Related to Unemployment Compensation in the Take Responsibility for Workers and Families Act" afaik this bill never passed

wow. thanks for pointing that out. I've updated the wiki accordingly

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: May 12, 2020, 05:55:29 PM »
1- just start re-certifying
2- a) you need to be employed to be on any of those programs b) those are programs you need to pay into before being eligible. As self-employed she probably didn't.
Thank you!

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: May 12, 2020, 05:59:10 PM »
1 - Let's say she doesn't re-certify for 3 weeks or so

Btw I admire the honesty. I was dealing with someone who was convincing herself that she's "ready, willing, and able to work" for most of the week that she gave birth so she'll just file that she wasn't "ready, willing, and able to work" for 3 days that week...

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #709 on: May 12, 2020, 06:03:49 PM »
Btw I admire the honesty. I was dealing with someone who was convincing herself that she's "ready, willing, and able to work" for most of the week that she gave birth so she'll just file that she wasn't "ready, willing, and able to work" for 3 days that week...
Thanks.
This lady (and her husband) are straight shooters.  :D

Offline yosefsv

• View Profile
« Reply #710 on: May 12, 2020, 06:12:08 PM »
wow. thanks for pointing that out. I've updated the wiki accordingly
The text of the final bill mentions only Medicaid and Chip.
(Sec. 2104) "(h) Disregard Of Additional Compensation For Purposes Of Medicaid And CHIP.—The monthly equivalent of any Federal pandemic unemployment compensation paid to an individual under this section shall be disregarded when determining income for any purpose under the programs established under titles XIX and title XXI of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 1396 et seq., 1397aa et seq.)"
https://www.congress.gov/116/bills/hr748/BILLS-116hr748enr.pdf

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: May 12, 2020, 06:27:33 PM »
Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here. If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here:

https://www.paypal.com/donate/?token=GavQduBlacYmBHWk0MIZeI-wMuNjeGSGduckqNULJiMD2Qcvta_mFZmdk7rFMzTJpXZ1OG&country.x=US&locale.x=

For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.
This link is no longer valid. The correct link is in the wiki.

Offline shulem92

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: May 13, 2020, 01:05:20 AM »
Something seems off...
i asked lrrc about it and they told me that it counts as income for snap, but not for hud and jerseycare. after googling i did find this pdf from the usda, see a2
https://www.kark.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/85/2020/04/SNAP-COVID-QA1-April-11.pdf

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: May 13, 2020, 01:07:27 AM »
Self-employed. NJ.

Someone collecting unemployment but then has a baby, what should she do?

I just joined ddf to answer this question. In NJ there is something called disability during unemployment. You can switch your claim to disability so that you don't have to be ready able and willing to work. You wouldn't get the extra $600 for those weeks. The million dollar question would be how to do that since you can't get through to the unemployment office....
If I find a way to do it online I will update.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: May 13, 2020, 10:08:21 AM »
NY: On Sunday I got an email that my claim had been approved. This morning I got the same email again. Hmmm.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #715 on: May 13, 2020, 10:08:49 AM »
I just joined ddf to answer this question. In NJ there is something called disability during unemployment. You can switch your claim to disability so that you don't have to be ready able and willing to work. You wouldn't get the extra $600 for those weeks. The million dollar question would be how to do that since you can't get through to the unemployment office....
If I find a way to do it online I will update.
Thank you.
But usually there is no disability for self-employed.
Are you sure now there is?

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #716 on: May 13, 2020, 10:11:02 AM »
NJ.
How is it possible that every single self-employed person I know is receiving exactly $231 for UI.
It's supposed to be 60% of income.
(Not to mention that I don't know of any self-employed people who received the $600 per week yet.)

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: May 13, 2020, 10:12:04 AM »
NJ.
How is it possible that every single self-employed person I know is receiving exactly $231 for UI.
(Not to mention that I don't know of any self-employed people who received the $600 per week yet.)
Minimum wage?

Offline beeweegee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: May 13, 2020, 10:14:35 AM »
NJ.
I know self-employed ppl in NJ who got the $600.

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #719 on: May 13, 2020, 10:21:55 AM »
Minimum wage?
But it's supposed to be 60% of income, and the people I know have varied incomes.