Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470757 times)

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #760 on: May 14, 2020, 09:53:55 AM »
Is there a minimum of self employment income one must have to qualify for unemployment?
I originally thought so, but I filed for PUA in NY and I got accepted with me stating what my net income on my last filed tax statement was, which was a tiny amount, and I got accepted.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: May 14, 2020, 10:03:21 AM »
I originally thought so, but I filed for PUA in NY and I got accepted with me stating what my net income on my last filed tax statement was, which was a tiny amount, and I got accepted.

Thanks. Good news for someone I’m helping. What is your weekly benefit determination?

My understanding is: UI - same limitations as always, maybe just waiving the waiting week.
PUA - 1099, limited work history possibly acceptable, no minimum for hours, broad eligibility.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Online cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: May 14, 2020, 10:13:17 AM »
Is there a minimum of self employment income one must have to qualify for unemployment?

Normally, states have minimum income requirements for UI. CARES Act clearly states that anyone not meeting those requirements is eligible for PUA. I'm not sure what that means- what if I earned $10 am I eligible?
Regardless, they don't penalize you for applying for UI so you can always try.

Here's the official text if you're interested in the legalities:
https://wdr.doleta.gov/directives/attach/UIPL/UIPL_16-20_acc.pdf
The PUA WBA is equal to the WBA authorized under state UC law where the individual was employed. In no case will the amount be less than the minimum WBA described in 20 C.F.R 625.6. For individuals without reported wages sufficient to establish a WBA, the WBA will be calculated according to processes for DUA benefits set out in 20 C.F.R. 625.6.

Now for 20 C.F.R. 625.6:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/20/625.6#b
If the weekly amount computed under paragraph (a) of this section is less than 50 percent of the average weekly payment of regular compensation in the State, as provided quarterly by the Department, or, if the individual has insufficient wages from employment or insufficient or no net income from self-employment (which includes individuals falling within paragraphs (a)(3) and (b)(3) of § 625.5) in the applicable base period to compute a weekly amount under paragraph (a) of this section, the individual shall be determined entitled to a weekly amount equal to 50 percent of the average weekly payment of regular compensation in the State.

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #763 on: May 14, 2020, 10:19:16 AM »
So, only the PUA (60% in NJ) is retroactive to the date of unemployment?

Correct.

Here's the link you wanted to see:
html: https://myunemployment.nj.gov/labor/myunemployment/covidFAQ.shtml
PDF: https://myunemployment.nj.gov/labor/myunemployment/assets/pdfs/NJWorkersFAQs.pdf
Quote from: myunemployment.nj.gov
11. I’m having web and/or phone issues with the Unemployment system. What’s going on?
NJ’s Unemployment Insurance system is experiencing record levels of demand due to coronavirus and all in-person services statewide are currently closed due to COVID-19. Some people cannot get through online or on the phone. We understand your anxiety and frustration, and we apologize. We’re working diligently to serve all our customers and ask for your patience. Please keep trying. We’re committed to ensuring that everyone receives their benefits during this crisis. You will not lose a day’s benefits as all claims will be backdated to your first day of employment loss.

You don't lose the $600/weekly on backdated claims either, but they only backdate as far as 3/29.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: May 14, 2020, 10:24:40 AM »

Very informative. So in NY, hypothetically speaking, if you earn just over the standard threshold for the minimum income ($2,600/quarter) you get 25%, but if you earn just below it you get 50%?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: May 14, 2020, 10:26:30 AM »
Thanks. Good news for someone I’m helping. What is your weekly benefit determination?

My understanding is: UI - same limitations as always, maybe just waiving the waiting week.
PUA - 1099, limited work history possibly acceptable, no minimum for hours, broad eligibility.
They didn't require me to show my 1099, and my benefit is 182+600. Not sure why 182, because that's more than I was making a week before.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: May 14, 2020, 10:27:58 AM »
They didn't require me to show my 1099, and my benefit is 182+600. Not sure why 182, because that's more than I was making a week before.

$182 is the minimum.

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #767 on: May 14, 2020, 10:28:50 AM »
Very informative. So in NY, hypothetically speaking, if you earn just over the standard threshold for the minimum income ($2,600/quarter) you get 25%, but if you earn just below it you get 50%?

It's like that in every single state.
Example NY- minimum PUA benefit $182, minimum UI benefit $104

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: May 14, 2020, 10:32:27 AM »

$182 is 50% of what? The average weekly payment?

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #769 on: May 14, 2020, 10:33:25 AM »

Offline presidentialplus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: May 14, 2020, 10:34:29 AM »
Now for 20 C.F.R. 625.6:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/20/625.6#b
If the weekly amount computed under paragraph (a) of this section is less than 50 percent of the average weekly payment of regular compensation in the State, as provided quarterly by the Department, or, if the individual has insufficient wages from employment or insufficient or no net income from self-employment (which includes individuals falling within paragraphs (a)(3) and (b)(3) of § 625.5) in the applicable base period to compute a weekly amount under paragraph (a) of this section, the individual shall be determined entitled to a weekly amount equal to 50 percent of the average weekly payment of regular compensation in the State.

So if you write $0 as the reported income on the schedule C you receive $182?

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #771 on: May 14, 2020, 10:35:08 AM »
So if you write $0 as the reported income on the schedule C you receive $182?

could be a loss as well, not just $0.

Offline presidentialplus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: May 14, 2020, 10:35:50 AM »
could be a loss as well, not just $0.

Do you need any proof that you worked?

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #773 on: May 14, 2020, 10:37:12 AM »

Not sure how you would have a Schedule C if you didn't. Schedule C isn't passive income.

Offline presidentialplus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: May 14, 2020, 10:38:25 AM »
Not sure how you would have a Schedule C if you didn't. Schedule C isn't passive income.

What if you don't have a schedule C?

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #775 on: May 14, 2020, 10:39:16 AM »
What if you don't have a schedule C?

If you're a new business submit a business plan and a P&L of what you have so far.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: May 14, 2020, 10:39:32 AM »

What did they require other than your self-certification?

Offline SwellCindy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: May 14, 2020, 10:39:38 AM »

I'm confused. What's the difference between reg UI, PUA & FPUC?

Offline presidentialplus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: May 14, 2020, 10:41:26 AM »
If you're a new business submit a business plan and a P&L of what you have so far.

So I leave the income for schedule C as $0?
Where do I indicate that it's a new business?
Is there any minimum work or income requirements for this new business?

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #779 on: May 14, 2020, 10:42:57 AM »

Obviously there are people gaming the system. I've heard (not firsthand) that a bunch of bochurim applied for PUA saying that they landed a job and were unable to start working... I'm assuming there will be audits and they will find themselves in trouble.