Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470554 times)

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #780 on: May 14, 2020, 10:44:27 AM »
I'm confused. What's the difference between reg UI, PUA & FPUC?

Reg UI- W2 wages in the last 12-18 months
PUA- Self Employment/ 1099 income or insufficient W2 income
FPUC- Supplemental $600/weekly for weeks with an Unemployment payment between 3/28-7/31

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 14, 2020, 10:44:57 AM »
I'm confused. What's the difference between reg UI, PUA & FPUC?

UI - standard unemployment we always had for W2 employees.
PUA - expanded COVID unemployment for people who don’t qualify for UI
FPUC - an extra $600/week for anyone who gets UI or PUA from April through July (roughly)
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 14, 2020, 10:48:48 AM »
So I leave the income for schedule C as $0?
If you're a new business started in 2020 you don't have Schedule C income in 2019.

Where do I indicate that it's a new business?

Chances are you'll get a $0 benefit determination and you'll need to send in the reconsideration form with your business plan & P&L

Is there any minimum work or income requirements for this new business?

Haven't seen anything as to the work requirement, but I'm assuming it's like regular UI where you need to have lost a chunk of your hours (I think about 20%) to qualify for UI. Like I said before there doesn't seem to be much in terms of income requirements.

If you're asking these questions legitimately, kol hakavod.
If you're using these to game the system, please don't involve me.

Offline SwellCindy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 14, 2020, 10:52:26 AM »
Thank you @cgr and @AsherO , this helps. First day of employment was 12/23/19, so don't have 1 complete quarter. Under these circumstances, I wouldn't qualify for reg UI, but may qualify for PUA, correct? Is the PUA a given or is there a chance I might not be approved?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 14, 2020, 10:55:32 AM »
Thank you @cgr and @AsherO , this helps. First day of employment was 12/23/19, so don't have 1 complete quarter. Under these circumstances, I wouldn't qualify for reg UI, but may qualify for PUA, correct? Is the PUA a given or is there a chance I might not be approved?

You should be good.
Based on what I've seen you'll get a $0 determination because they'll try to put you on reg UI but you'll have insufficient wages. You'll need to send in the reconsideration (you can reach out to me for details) and then you'll get PUA.

Offline presidentialplus

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 14, 2020, 10:56:15 AM »
If you're a new business started in 2020 you don't have Schedule C income in 2019.

Chances are you'll get a $0 benefit determination and you'll need to send in the reconsideration form with your business plan & P&L

Haven't seen anything as to the work requirement, but I'm assuming it's like regular UI where you need to have lost a chunk of your hours (I think about 20%) to qualify for UI. Like I said before there doesn't seem to be much in terms of income requirements.

If you're asking these questions legitimately, kol hakavod.
If you're using these to game the system, please don't involve me.

Thanks for all the info.
A part time business that was just started in Feb, was picking up.
Is there a amount of days per week requirement?

Offline cozmohoot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 14, 2020, 11:00:07 AM »
Afaf again, last week I asked for her also.

: If I applied thru pandemic unemployed assistance (PUA) and not thru regular UI, do I still need to fill out a regular UI application?
[5/13, 3:50 PM] : And after filling out PUA application it said submitted and now a full day later it still just says submitted.... hasn't updated to anything else

Offline cozmohoot

• View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 14, 2020, 11:00:33 AM »

: If I applied thru pandemic unemployed assistance (PUA) and not thru regular UI, do I still need to fill out a regular UI application?
[5/13, 3:50 PM] : And after filling out PUA application it said submitted and now a full day later it still just says submitted.... hasn't updated to anything else

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 14, 2020, 11:04:02 AM »
What did they require other than your self-certification?
I did not need to send anything in.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 14, 2020, 11:13:26 AM »
I did not need to send anything in.

Let me guess:
1. You spoke to someone by phone.
2. All the funds you expected are already in your account?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #790 on: May 14, 2020, 11:15:39 AM »
Thanks for all the info.
A part time business that was just started in Feb, was picking up.
Is there a amount of days per week requirement?

I haven't seen that anywhere as a guideline in NY- if anyone has please point it out.
In NY previously you had to earn a certain amount of wages in previous quarters to be eligible, and to be able to certify a claim you had to work 3 days or less and earn $504 or less.

Now, with PUA in the picture it pretty much qualifies anyone who doesn't qualify for standard UI but had some sort of employment.

My suggestion is that you should apply and answer all the questions honestly. If they ask for income but no hours, provide that. If they ask for hours then be honest there as well.

If you get a $0 benefit determination go ahead with the reconsideration because many are getting that for lack of W2 wages- not because they don't qualify for PUA.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #791 on: May 14, 2020, 11:16:50 AM »

Please advise which state you're applying in.

Regardless, a day in today's days is nothing. PUA applications routinely take weeks to process.

Offline cozmohoot

• View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 14, 2020, 11:26:24 AM »
Please advise which state you're applying in.

Regardless, a day in today's days is nothing. PUA applications routinely take weeks to process.
Sorry , NY

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: May 14, 2020, 11:51:01 AM »
Let me guess:
1. You spoke to someone by phone.
2. All the funds you expected are already in your account?
1. Yes.
2. Not in my account yet, but listed on website as paid to debit card (which I did not receive yet, and even thou I registered to DD).
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline ae123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: May 14, 2020, 12:06:53 PM »
11. I’m having web and/or phone issues with the Unemployment system. What’s going on?
NJ’s Unemployment Insurance system is experiencing record levels of demand due to coronavirus and all in-person services statewide are currently closed due to COVID-19. Some people cannot get through online or on the phone. We understand your anxiety and frustration, and we apologize. We’re working diligently to serve all our customers and ask for your patience. Please keep trying. We’re committed to ensuring that everyone receives their benefits during this crisis. You will not lose a day’s benefits as all claims will be backdated to your first day of employment loss.
Thank you for your response above (by now two pages back!).
But you have to admit that the line you bolded sounds like even the PUA ($600) is retroactive to date of unemployment, as it doesn't differentiate between PUA & FPUC.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 12:10:24 PM by ae123 »

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #795 on: May 14, 2020, 12:17:58 PM »
Thank you for your response above (by now two pages back!).
But you have to admit that the line you bolded sounds like even the PUA ($600) is retroactive to date of unemployment, as it doesn't differentiate between PUA & FPUC.

FPUC is the $600.
PUA is self-employment UI.

PUA is retroactive to date of unemployment as far back as 2/2.
FPUC only exists from 3/29-7/31. There's no way around this unless they change the law in the new bill and extend it further.

Just like PUA won't be backdated further back than 2/2, FPUC won't be backdated to claims prior to 3/29.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 14, 2020, 12:18:56 PM »
Sorry , NY

Wait a week at least before getting worried. PUA applications can take a while to process.

Offline ROYA

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 14, 2020, 12:22:58 PM »
Hi to all,

Last I saw, NY Unemployment had the company info and amount earned without having to enter it. I am trying to help someone over the phone.. he says it didn't show the company info and it is asking him for amount earned on his last tax return. Is he in wrong thing? He didn't file 2019 and 2018 he was not working... so should the number be 0?

I'm not sure if he is mistakenly filing for PUA or they changed the system..

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #798 on: May 14, 2020, 12:31:03 PM »
Hi to all,

Last I saw, NY Unemployment had the company info and amount earned without having to enter it. I am trying to help someone over the phone.. he says it didn't show the company info and it is asking him for amount earned on his last tax return. Is he in wrong thing? He didn't file 2019 and 2018 he was not working... so should the number be 0?

I'm not sure if he is mistakenly filing for PUA or they changed the system..

Is he aiming for standard UI (W2 wages above the threshold for 2019) or PUA (self-employed/1099)?

Offline ROYA

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: May 14, 2020, 12:44:10 PM »
I would say (W2 wages above the threshold for 2019) Whats the threshold?