Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here:https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=ZJYQXNG59C4NU&currency_code=USD&amount=18&source=url
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for other benefits like Medicaid and CHIP. There are conflicting reports as to whether it counts for other social programs or not.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for retroactive claims.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so if your payment history shows $0 for the first week with a notation that it's your "waiting week" you will receive payment for that week as well (eventually).

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
After completing the original application, if you're deemed ineligible for standard UI, you'll receive a request to provide additional information, such as prior year tax returns to establish your base rate. You might be approved under standard UI even if you're an independant contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months and indicated it on your application.
It can take up to 2-3 weeks to receive the request for additional information.
If you disagree with your base rate, or accidentally entered the wrong income info on your application, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. You can then try calling and if you get through point them to your message center so that they can see the info live.
According to the CARES Act, you are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. If anyone has gotten approved and has no prior work history, please comment.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
Extended Benefits:
You can file for an additional 13 weeks of benefits (39 weeks total) if you exhausted your benefits after 7/1/19.
Requesting Backpay:
the NY DOL has started rolling out a new system for claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

NJ
You need to apply for standard UI regardless of your work history.
PUA:
As of now, all those ineligible for standard UI are receiving a benefit rate of $0, with no instructions on how to proceed to the actual PUA application. If you've successfully completed your NJ PUA application, kindly comment.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
Extended Benefits:
If you were able to apply kindly comment.
Requesting Backpay:
NJ residents kindly advise.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

« Last edited by cgr on May 18, 2020, 07:20:37 PM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 58693 times)

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #795 on: May 14, 2020, 12:17:58 PM »
Thank you for your response above (by now two pages back!).
But you have to admit that the line you bolded sounds like even the PUA ($600) is retroactive to date of unemployment, as it doesn't differentiate between PUA & FPUC.

FPUC is the $600.
PUA is self-employment UI.

PUA is retroactive to date of unemployment as far back as 2/2.
FPUC only exists from 3/29-7/31. There's no way around this unless they change the law in the new bill and extend it further.

Just like PUA won't be backdated further back than 2/2, FPUC won't be backdated to claims prior to 3/29.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 14, 2020, 12:18:56 PM »
Sorry , NY

Wait a week at least before getting worried. PUA applications can take a while to process.

Offline ROYA

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 14, 2020, 12:22:58 PM »
Hi to all,

Last I saw, NY Unemployment had the company info and amount earned without having to enter it. I am trying to help someone over the phone.. he says it didn't show the company info and it is asking him for amount earned on his last tax return. Is he in wrong thing? He didn't file 2019 and 2018 he was not working... so should the number be 0?

I'm not sure if he is mistakenly filing for PUA or they changed the system..

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #798 on: May 14, 2020, 12:31:03 PM »
Hi to all,

Last I saw, NY Unemployment had the company info and amount earned without having to enter it. I am trying to help someone over the phone.. he says it didn't show the company info and it is asking him for amount earned on his last tax return. Is he in wrong thing? He didn't file 2019 and 2018 he was not working... so should the number be 0?

I'm not sure if he is mistakenly filing for PUA or they changed the system..

Is he aiming for standard UI (W2 wages above the threshold for 2019) or PUA (self-employed/1099)?

Offline ROYA

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: May 14, 2020, 12:44:10 PM »
I would say (W2 wages above the threshold for 2019) Whats the threshold?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #800 on: May 14, 2020, 12:51:20 PM »
I would say (W2 wages above the threshold for 2019) Whats the threshold?

https://www.labor.ny.gov/formsdocs/factsheets/pdfs/p832.pdf
For claims filed in 2019, you must have been paid at least $2,400 in one calendar quarter (this amount increases to $2,600 for claims filed in 2020)

In NY there's only one initial application regardless if you end up on standard UI or PUA.
If they're not picking up his employer automatically make sure he entered his SS # correctly. If he did then just manually put in their info (EIN can be found on his W2).

Offline ROYA

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: May 14, 2020, 12:59:56 PM »
He qualifies. Thanks for the response.

I see you have been very active on this thread. Much appreciated! Helping people at no charge = great Mitzvah!!
Follow my lead and like a post from cgr on this thread!!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: May 14, 2020, 01:26:55 PM »
He qualifies. Thanks for the response.

I see you have been very active on this thread. Much appreciated! Helping people at no charge = great Mitzvah!!
Follow my lead and like a post from cgr on this thread!!

cgr is accepting donations:

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here. If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=ZJYQXNG59C4NU&currency_code=USD&amount=18&source=url

For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

Edited to fix the URL
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 01:45:13 PM by AsherO »
My barber needs your support, hes a real sweetheart.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/save-our-barber-shop

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: May 14, 2020, 01:46:37 PM »
After filing UI in New York is there anything I need to do other than wait to get a call or an email from the state?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #804 on: May 14, 2020, 01:47:37 PM »
After filing UI in New York is there anything I need to do other than wait to get a call or an email from the state?

Check your account to see if you can certify (Unemployment Services> Certify). They don't always tell you that your application has processed.

Offline cozmohoot

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: May 14, 2020, 01:50:42 PM »
Wait a week at least before getting worried. PUA applications can take a while to process.
What about the 1st part of question, she seems to have applied for pua and not regular UI,
Should she also be applying for UI?

I thought the app was streamlined to include both...

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #806 on: May 14, 2020, 01:54:00 PM »
What about the 1st part of question, she seems to have applied for pua and not regular UI,
Should she also be applying for UI?

I thought the app was streamlined to include both...

It is. If they need more info to get you on PUA they send you a dedicated PUA link. Otherwise it's the same application for all.
Why do you think she completed PUA?

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: May 14, 2020, 02:16:45 PM »
Unemployment Insurance Benefits Online

You may not use this system because you have only partially completed your claim for unemployment insurance benefits.
To complete your claim, you must call our Telephone Claims Center at 1-888-209-8124.

Do I really need to call?
Any way to get them on the phone?

Offline cozmohoot

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: May 14, 2020, 02:19:26 PM »
It is. If they need more info to get you on PUA they send you a dedicated PUA link. Otherwise it's the same application for all.
Why do you think she completed PUA?
I think she went from dol website and accidentally applied for pua instead of standard UI.
She is a regular employee that should have applied for UI.

Should I just tell her to fill out the 10 step application for UI?
Thanks again.

Offline Ellen

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: May 14, 2020, 02:52:07 PM »
I apologize if this was asked before; if yes, maybe somebody can direct me to the correct post.
I was out of work from mid-March until late April. Recently started working again for about 2 hours a day 3-4 times a week.
Anyone know if i qualify? Also, where can i contact DOL to get backpay for the 6 weeks I was home? Does that time qualify?