Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470924 times)

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #800 on: May 14, 2020, 12:51:20 PM »
I would say (W2 wages above the threshold for 2019) Whats the threshold?

https://www.labor.ny.gov/formsdocs/factsheets/pdfs/p832.pdf
For claims filed in 2019, you must have been paid at least $2,400 in one calendar quarter (this amount increases to $2,600 for claims filed in 2020)

In NY there's only one initial application regardless if you end up on standard UI or PUA.
If they're not picking up his employer automatically make sure he entered his SS # correctly. If he did then just manually put in their info (EIN can be found on his W2).

Offline ROYA

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: May 14, 2020, 12:59:56 PM »
He qualifies. Thanks for the response.

I see you have been very active on this thread. Much appreciated! Helping people at no charge = great Mitzvah!!
Follow my lead and like a post from cgr on this thread!!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: May 14, 2020, 01:26:55 PM »
He qualifies. Thanks for the response.

I see you have been very active on this thread. Much appreciated! Helping people at no charge = great Mitzvah!!
Follow my lead and like a post from cgr on this thread!!

cgr is accepting donations:

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here. If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=ZJYQXNG59C4NU&currency_code=USD&amount=18&source=url

For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

Edited to fix the URL
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 01:45:13 PM by AsherO »
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: May 14, 2020, 01:46:37 PM »
After filing UI in New York is there anything I need to do other than wait to get a call or an email from the state?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #804 on: May 14, 2020, 01:47:37 PM »
After filing UI in New York is there anything I need to do other than wait to get a call or an email from the state?

Check your account to see if you can certify (Unemployment Services> Certify). They don't always tell you that your application has processed.

Offline cozmohoot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: May 14, 2020, 01:50:42 PM »
Wait a week at least before getting worried. PUA applications can take a while to process.
What about the 1st part of question, she seems to have applied for pua and not regular UI,
Should she also be applying for UI?

I thought the app was streamlined to include both...

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #806 on: May 14, 2020, 01:54:00 PM »
What about the 1st part of question, she seems to have applied for pua and not regular UI,
Should she also be applying for UI?

I thought the app was streamlined to include both...

It is. If they need more info to get you on PUA they send you a dedicated PUA link. Otherwise it's the same application for all.
Why do you think she completed PUA?

Offline mgarfin

• View Profile
« Reply #807 on: May 14, 2020, 02:16:45 PM »
Unemployment Insurance Benefits Online

You may not use this system because you have only partially completed your claim for unemployment insurance benefits.
To complete your claim, you must call our Telephone Claims Center at 1-888-209-8124.

Do I really need to call?
Any way to get them on the phone?

Offline cozmohoot

• View Profile
« Reply #808 on: May 14, 2020, 02:19:26 PM »
It is. If they need more info to get you on PUA they send you a dedicated PUA link. Otherwise it's the same application for all.
Why do you think she completed PUA?
I think she went from dol website and accidentally applied for pua instead of standard UI.
She is a regular employee that should have applied for UI.

Should I just tell her to fill out the 10 step application for UI?
Thanks again.

Offline Ellen

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: May 14, 2020, 02:52:07 PM »
I apologize if this was asked before; if yes, maybe somebody can direct me to the correct post.
I was out of work from mid-March until late April. Recently started working again for about 2 hours a day 3-4 times a week.
Anyone know if i qualify? Also, where can i contact DOL to get backpay for the 6 weeks I was home? Does that time qualify?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #810 on: May 14, 2020, 02:56:58 PM »
I think she went from dol website and accidentally applied for pua instead of standard UI.
She is a regular employee that should have applied for UI.

Should I just tell her to fill out the 10 step application for UI?
Thanks again.

I don't think that's possible as there isn't a PUA link out there to apply to.

Offline ah giten

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: May 14, 2020, 03:00:10 PM »
I also applied, and when I was done I noticed it was PUA.
 "Thank you for submitting your Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) claim with the New York State Department of Labor.
 If necessary, a Department of Labor representative will contact you to complete your claim. You do not need to contact the Department of Labor – we will contact you at the number that is listed on your claim. To confirm that the caller is from the Department of Labor, the representative will verify the date you filed your claim."

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: May 14, 2020, 03:03:47 PM »
I apologize if this was asked before; if yes, maybe somebody can direct me to the correct post.
I was out of work from mid-March until late April. Recently started working again for about 2 hours a day 3-4 times a week.
Anyone know if i qualify? Also, where can i contact DOL to get backpay for the 6 weeks I was home? Does that time qualify?

Assuming NY
If you worked FT til mid-March you should qualify:

Definitely mid-March until late April. When you file a claim be sure to enter that date in mid-March as your last day worked so that you can file retroactively for all weeks. They'll contact you after your claim is filed for retroactive claims.

For partial work from late April you will only qualify for the weeks where you earned less than $504 and worked 3 days or less. For every day you work your benefit rate gets cut by 25%, but the $600 supplemental remains a flat rate.
If you're eligible for some weeks only based on the above, certify a) either for those weeks only or b) for all weeks and they'll compute when you are eligible and when you're not.
Any weeks that you certify and are ineligible your Benefit Days Available won't be decreased. (Or if you're eligible for 1,2, or 3 days only you'll only receive a partial deduction instead of the usual 4 days). This means you'll be able to be on UI longer as your days and total amount available will be deducted over a longer period of time. If they extend the $600 FPUC past 7/31 you'll be a real winner (assuming you're still able to claim partial unemployment then.)

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #813 on: May 14, 2020, 03:04:34 PM »
I also applied, and when I was done I noticed it was PUA.
 "Thank you for submitting your Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) claim with the New York State Department of Labor.
 If necessary, a Department of Labor representative will contact you to complete your claim. You do not need to contact the Department of Labor – we will contact you at the number that is listed on your claim. To confirm that the caller is from the Department of Labor, the representative will verify the date you filed your claim."

I believe this is if you complete the second section after the regular UI claim section. They only look at it if you don't qualify for regular UI.

Offline ah giten

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: May 14, 2020, 03:08:38 PM »
I believe this is if you complete the second section after the regular UI claim section. They only look at it if you don't qualify for regular UI.
I didn't see a second section.
but I think I dont qualify for regular UI since I didn't work for 2 quarters.

Offline mgarfin

• View Profile
« Reply #815 on: May 14, 2020, 03:16:27 PM »
Assuming NY
If you worked FT til mid-March you should qualify:

Definitely mid-March until late April. When you file a claim be sure to enter that date in mid-March as your last day worked so that you can file retroactively for all weeks. They'll contact you after your claim is filed for retroactive claims.

I have a similar situation. I'm trying to file UI retroactive for 2 weeks, but I'm currently working (PPP).
Do I need to certify now, probably no as I'm getting paid? But how will I get the money for those back days

Offline cozmohoot

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: May 14, 2020, 03:30:59 PM »
Not sure what she did but it does look like she would be able to apply on ui site under unemployment services. It doesn't show any app status.
But from dol site it does show the exact message "ah gitten" just posted.

It was very odd when I was helping her yesterday.

I think she should just try and apply for UI.
Any issue with that?

Offline unavailable

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: May 14, 2020, 03:47:49 PM »
I didn't see a second section.
but I think I dont qualify for regular UI since I didn't work for 2 quarters.

First I wanted to say thank you @cgr

I too didnt apply for reg ui,
On the ny.gov site i went to "get unemployment assistance" I hit file and submitted the application. at the end it said thank you for submitting your pua. i didnt need to put in any employee/income info

should i go back and file the reg ui - if i can find it?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: May 14, 2020, 03:48:12 PM »
Not sure what she did but it does look like she would be able to apply on ui site under unemployment services. It doesn't show any app status.
But from dol site it does show the exact message "ah gitten" just posted.

It was very odd when I was helping her yesterday.

I think she should just try and apply for UI.
Any issue with that?

This is the link for everyone in NY: https://unemployment.labor.ny.gov/login
If she can apply through here let her do so, but if it tells her she already did she's good.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: May 14, 2020, 03:50:00 PM »
I have a similar situation. I'm trying to file UI retroactive for 2 weeks, but I'm currently working (PPP).
Do I need to certify now, probably no as I'm getting paid? But how will I get the money for those back days

Every week that it certifies it tells you which dates it is for. If you can't certify for those dates you currently have on our certification application don't (or certify and get rejected- same thing).
They're starting to send out DocuSigns for missing certifications from weeks past, so keep an eye out on our email.