Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470857 times)

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #840 on: May 14, 2020, 05:13:00 PM »
im not sure what you're referring to first option/second option.
If you google ny unemployment it takes you to straight to unemployment assistance, and they only give you 1 application to do. The pua app.

They don't consider that the PUA application. They consider it a "streamlined application" which basically asks for all info they can need, and based on that they determine which program you go on.

Offline unavailable

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: May 14, 2020, 05:19:48 PM »
its much less detailed than the reg ui - i think. I only did the the beginning of the reg ui

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: May 14, 2020, 05:20:38 PM »
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Luvisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: May 14, 2020, 06:40:00 PM »
So I have an interesting scenario. Someone worked for a company, than quit and moved onto another job that happened to have been off the books. A few months later started with a 3rd job and got laid off due to Covid-19. When this person filed for UI, it went back to the first employer and will presumably affect their tax rates. How can this be rectified?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: May 14, 2020, 06:44:05 PM »
So odd.

Today I got a letter from the DOL dated 4/24/2020 asking me to submit identity verification documents (passport, state ID, SS card etc) within 10 days of mailing date of the letter (it arrived 20 days after the date it’s dated) or my claim will be denied. Meanwhile my claim is approved since they mailed the letter. Hmmm.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #845 on: May 14, 2020, 06:44:52 PM »
So I have an interesting scenario. Someone worked for a company, than quit and moved onto another job that happened to have been off the books. A few months later started with a 3rd job and got laid off due to Covid-19. When this person filed for UI, it went back to the first employer and will presumably affect their tax rates. How can this be rectified?

That's how it works. All employers of the last 18 months contribute toward the pool. I believe the most recent one is most adversely affected and contributes the largest %.

Offline menachemd1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 14, 2020, 06:46:59 PM »
So odd.

Today I got a letter from the DOL dated 4/24/2020 asking me to submit identity verification documents (passport, state ID, SS card etc) within 10 days of mailing date of the letter (it arrived 20 days after the date it’s dated) or my claim will be denied. Meanwhile my claim is approved since they mailed the letter. Hmmm.
Same here, but not approved yet :(

Offline ae123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: May 14, 2020, 06:50:02 PM »
So odd.

Which state?

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #848 on: May 14, 2020, 06:52:31 PM »
That's how it works. All employers of the last 18 months contribute toward the pool. I believe the most recent one is most adversely affected and contributes the largest %.
can the middle employer retroactively “claim” employer-ship for this?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 14, 2020, 06:53:44 PM »
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #850 on: May 14, 2020, 06:56:12 PM »
can the middle employer retroactively “claim” employer-ship for this?

If he was paid off the books? I guess if he's looking for a lawsuit right now he can take a shot at it...

Offline cgr

• View Profile

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 14, 2020, 07:02:24 PM »

Offline ae123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: May 14, 2020, 07:06:32 PM »
NJ light at the end of the tunnel?

https://twitter.com/NJLaborDept/status/1260992475315003400?s=19
I saw that. Maybe. Hopefully.
So far, every single person I know has some sort of issue.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 14, 2020, 07:07:37 PM »
NJ light at the end of the tunnel?

https://twitter.com/NJLaborDept/status/1260992475315003400?s=19

Gimmick. How many of these 139k are funded? If not yet, when will they be?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #855 on: May 14, 2020, 07:10:24 PM »
Gimmick. How many of these 139k are funded? If not yet, when will they be?

are being made newly eligible in other words, they aren't yet.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: May 14, 2020, 07:12:48 PM »
are being made newly eligible in other words, they aren't yet.

I have no idea what that means, do you?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #857 on: May 14, 2020, 07:17:06 PM »
I have no idea what that means, do you?

Not precisely but this part I got:
This includes 82K claims that may have been pending for weeks due to non-monetary appointments, SSN issues, and those stuck due to lingering certification response errors.

To me it seems to allude to action that will be taken not "we managed to get 140k applications resolved and processed"

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: May 14, 2020, 07:24:39 PM »
Not precisely but this part I got:
This includes 82K claims that may have been pending for weeks due to non-monetary appointments, SSN issues, and those stuck due to lingering certification response errors.

To me it seems to allude to action that will be taken not "we managed to get 140k applications resolved and processed"

Meaning the tweet is a gimmick. They’re taking credit when the needle hasn’t moved.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #859 on: May 14, 2020, 07:26:05 PM »
Meaning the tweet is a gimmick. They’re taking credit when the needle hasn’t moved.
Oh for sure. I'm just hopeful that it indicates movement in the next few days.