Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 471035 times)

Online cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #1000 on: May 18, 2020, 12:52:10 PM »
Thanks,
How do I request the alternate quarters calculation?

Fax in a reconsideration form https://www.labor.ny.gov/formsdocs/ui/TC403HR.pdf
It's also included with your Benefit Determination Letter.

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: May 18, 2020, 01:02:55 PM »
If I'm not able to work as I need to care for my kid's home.

Does my employer need to pay me 2/3 of salary?
How does he receive the reimbursement?

In the case, he pays me the 2/3 do I loos out on $600 F-PUA?

Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Employer Paid Leave Requirements
https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pandemic/ffcra-employer-paid-leave

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: May 18, 2020, 01:11:11 PM »
If I'm not able to work as I need to care for my kid's home.

Does my employer need to pay me 2/3 of salary?
How does he receive the reimbursement?

In the case, he pays me the 2/3 do I loos out on $600 F-PUA?

Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Employer Paid Leave Requirements
https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pandemic/ffcra-employer-paid-leave

Quote from: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pandemic/ffcra-employer-paid-leave
5. is caring for a child whose school or place of care is closed (or child care provider is unavailable) for reasons related to COVID-19

For leave reason (5): employees taking leave shall be paid at 2/3 their regular rate or 2/3 the applicable minimum wage, whichever is higher, up to $200 per day and $12,000 in the aggregate (over a 12-week period—two weeks of paid sick leave followed by up to 10 weeks of paid expanded family and medical leave).

If you max out your 12k before 12 weeks he no longer has to offer this.

Quote from: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pandemic/ffcra-employer-paid-leave

Covered Employers: The paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave provisions of the FFCRA apply to certain public employers, and private employers with fewer than 500 employees... Small businesses with fewer than 50 employees may qualify for exemption from the requirement to provide leave due to school closings or child care unavailability if the leave requirements would jeopardize the viability of the business as a going concern.

Tax Credits: Covered employers qualify for dollar-for-dollar reimbursement through tax credits for all qualifying wages paid under the FFCRA. Qualifying wages are those paid to an employee who takes leave under the Act for a qualifying reason, up to the appropriate per diem and aggregate payment caps. Applicable tax credits also extend to amounts paid or incurred to maintain health insurance coverage. For more information, please see the Department of the Treasury’s website.

On UI you'll get your Weekly Benefit Rate plus $600 for all claims 3/28-7/31.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 01:15:08 PM by cgr »

Offline dreaming

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: May 18, 2020, 01:25:44 PM »
I was a part time worker that lost my job due to covid 19. I applied for unemployment 2 weeks after I lost my job. A few weeks after I applied I saw that $600 was deposited in my account.  The next week I did not get any money in my account.  2 weeks later I got another $600. Then the next week I didn't get anything and then a week after that I got in my account  $525 and then $125. I am wondering how come I am not getting every week money. Should I ask them for the first 2 weeks that I didn't file for unemployment plus all the weeks that I don't see the money in my account.  I never know when I get money and why some weeks I get money and some weeks I don't get money. What could it be?

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: May 18, 2020, 01:31:21 PM »
I was a part time worker that lost my job due to covid 19. I applied for unemployment 2 weeks after I lost my job. A few weeks after I applied I saw that $600 was deposited in my account.  The next week I did not get any money in my account.  2 weeks later I got another $600. Then the next week I didn't get anything and then a week after that I got in my account  $525 and then $125. I am wondering how come I am not getting every week money. Should I ask them for the first 2 weeks that I didn't file for unemployment plus all the weeks that I don't see the money in my account.  I never know when I get money and why some weeks I get money and some weeks I don't get money. What could it be?

Which state are you located in?

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: May 18, 2020, 01:44:18 PM »
Tax Credits: Covered employers qualify for dollar-for-dollar reimbursement through tax credits for all qualifying wages paid under the FFCRA.
Qualifying wages are those paid to an employee who takes leave under the Act for a qualifying reason, up to the appropriate per diem and aggregate payment caps.
Applicable tax credits also extend to amounts paid or incurred to maintain health insurance coverage. For more information, please see the Department of the Treasury’s website.

Is this done on the quarterly 940?

On UI you'll get your Weekly Benefit Rate plus $600 for all claims 3/28-7/31.

Can I choose to get paid from the employer or go on UI?

Small businesses with fewer than 50 employees may qualify for exemption from the requirement to provide leave due to school closings or child care unavailability if the leave requirements would jeopardize the viability of the business as a going concern.
Is this a self-assessment?

P.S. It beyond me what @cgr  is are doing for the community

Offline Jellybelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: May 18, 2020, 02:00:38 PM »
For someone that wasn’t eligible for most programs, but now on unemployment is eligible, can they sign up for all those programs? Is there a different thread for other programs?
I’m asking about food stamps and Obamacare....

Offline Ellen

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: May 18, 2020, 02:03:18 PM »
Log out and log back in. For some reason that magically fixes the issue.
This doesnt work for me. I still get the same error.

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #1008 on: May 18, 2020, 02:12:40 PM »
For someone that wasn’t eligible for most programs, but now on unemployment is eligible, can they sign up for all those programs? Is there a different thread for other programs?
Obamacare Master thread
Losing insurance as a result of unemployment is a qualifying event for special enrollment period.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline yosefsv

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: May 18, 2020, 02:25:27 PM »
On a part time UI claim do i get the full FPUC ($600) or based on the amount of days worked? (in NY)
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: May 18, 2020, 02:32:50 PM »
Is this done on the quarterly 940?
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/covid-19-related-tax-credits-for-required-paid-leave-provided-by-small-and-midsize-businesses-faqs
941 but yes. If his credit is more than his taxes he'll get a refund check.

Can I choose to get paid from the employer or go on UI?
Not sure if your employer must offer you paid leave or if he as the option to let you go for this reason, but if your worksite has been closed or  you have been furloughed, you're not eligible for paid leave.

Is this a self-assessment?
No. Check the DOL link.

Thanks for the kind words.

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: May 18, 2020, 02:33:32 PM »
On a part time UI claim do i get the full FPUC ($600) or based on the amount of days worked? (in NY)

Full $600 as long as you have at least $1 payable on your claim.

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: May 18, 2020, 02:34:40 PM »

UI counts as income for food stamps, so you might or might not be eligible depending on the # of dependents.
Most states reopened open enrollment (NY as well) so you can sign up for a plan now.

Offline VY

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: May 18, 2020, 02:35:16 PM »
hi
i applied two weeks agoin NJ and the following is still showing.

""My Unemployment Insurance Claim Status
If you filed your claim online and your status below is "pending", your claim is currently being processed. Our team is working around the clock to process claims. Please check back for updates as this information is updated nightly.

Claim Status: Pending (Claims take up to 7 days to process.Information is updated nightly.)""

any one with some more info on how ong it could take?
thanks

Offline shwarmabob

• View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: May 18, 2020, 04:23:57 PM »
someone filed NYS UI + PUA. certified for past weeks between the filing and the approval. Received both UI + PUA for all except 2 weeks. There was no reason given why PUA is missing for these 2 weeks. anyone in similar shoes? what could be the reason?

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: May 18, 2020, 04:32:35 PM »
someone filed NYS UI + PUA. certified for past weeks between the filing and the approval. Received both UI + PUA for all except 2 weeks. There was no reason given why PUA is missing for these 2 weeks. anyone in similar shoes? what could be the reason?

Are you referring to the $600? That's FPUC, not PUA.
FPUC is for all weeks 3/30-7/31 (NY). Maybe those 2 claims are pre-3/30?

Offline Eb228

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: May 18, 2020, 04:35:04 PM »
I understand that UI & FPUC are taxable.

Are they considered regular income, i.e. will they be included in MAGI?  [Or are they somewhere esle on the tax return?]

Offline maxie m

• View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: May 18, 2020, 04:45:57 PM »
Received call today from DOL, was then forwarded to the automated telephone filing line for pua, when asked what my net gross income was for 2019, I don't have the option to select 0 and the system won't allow me to proceed. Just hangs up. anyone have this issue? (Ny)
Dumb people learn from their own mistakes,smart people,from the mistakes of others

Offline ah giten

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: May 18, 2020, 04:59:59 PM »
just got the callback, that I am approved for PUA. Agent didn't know how much I'm getting.
Will I also get the $600 on top of the reg PUA?

Offline unavailable

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: May 18, 2020, 05:03:44 PM »
just got the callback, that I am approved for PUA. Agent didn't know how much I'm getting.
Will I also get the $600 on top of the reg PUA?
did you do the reg ui application too, or only the pua?