Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 478044 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #1160 on: May 19, 2020, 10:16:43 PM »
So is 18 the maximum amount of weeks one can possibly receive the $600/wk (3/30-7/31=18 wks)?

Yes, unless the Federal Government extends it.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline googwallet

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: May 19, 2020, 11:14:59 PM »
NY - My wife has the ability to telework but is unable to do so because she is caring for our children. She filled out the UI (or maybe PUA) form a month ago and now they are requesting that she fill another form. She has a W-2 job but I believe is not eligible for regular UI since she only took this job recently after being out of a job for a few months. The problem is, with this new form, there is no option to select childcare as the reason for applying. Once you select that you are able to work your regular hours via telework, the form questionnaire is done and you are (I assume) denied.
How can she apply using the childcare covered reason when she has the option to telework?

Offline tov hashem

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: May 19, 2020, 11:21:40 PM »
They may be burning the midnight oil.Text came in at 9.08 pm
got it at 9:38pm
i did it with pua, i wonder if that means that its not a $0 approval since my last year income was $0 

Offline Realshlomo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: May 19, 2020, 11:30:45 PM »
NY - My wife has the ability to telework but is unable to do so because she is caring for our children. She filled out the UI (or maybe PUA) form a month ago and now they are requesting that she fill another form. She has a W-2 job but I believe is not eligible for regular UI since she only took this job recently after being out of a job for a few months. The problem is, with this new form, there is no option to select childcare as the reason for applying. Once you select that you are able to work your regular hours via telework, the form questionnaire is done and you are (I assume) denied.
How can she apply using the childcare covered reason when she has the option to telework?
If shes unable to telework while watching the children, then I don't think she actually has the ability to telework.

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: May 19, 2020, 11:42:59 PM »

Here's the thing about telework:
According to the NY DOL if you're offered a telework option you don't qualify even with the childcare exception.
https://dol.ny.gov/pandemic-unemployment-assistance

According to the US DOL however, you do qualify if your child/ren would require constant attention and can't fend for themselves.
https://www.dol.gov/coronavirus/unemployment-insurance

So looks like it's a question that needs human communication... you might even need to point out the US DOL rules to them.

Not sure how to read this but this is NY DOL guidelines on the telework question:
https://twitter.com/NYSLabor/status/1261620913633624064?s=19

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: May 19, 2020, 11:44:02 PM »
got it at 9:38pm
i did it with pua, i wonder if that means that its not a $0 approval since my last year income was $0
On PUA in NY you get the minimum of $182, even if you had a loss on your Schedule.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: May 19, 2020, 11:45:19 PM »
If shes unable to telework while watching the children, then I don't think she actually has the ability to telework.
@Realshlomo would love that to be the case but have a look at the DOL language in the post I just wrote up. It says "regardless of meeting a category listed above".

Offline ah giten

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: May 20, 2020, 12:00:08 AM »
Just got a text message from nys labor.
Has anyone else got one?
Told me benefit can now be paid. No request for personal info.
Anyone else got one?
Same, and Email as well.

Offline TBD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: May 20, 2020, 12:12:33 AM »
@Realshlomo would love that to be the case but have a look at the DOL language in the post I just wrote up. It says "regardless of meeting a category listed above".
In the post is written...
You will not be eligible for PUA if you can telework, or if you are receiving paid sick leave or other paid leave benefits (regardless of meeting a category listed above).

Its not written if you were OFFERED to Telework (as in the Tweet) only If you "CAN", If you need to take care of child care, than you CAN'T TELEWORK and should be eligible.

[Rules are not setup by tweets)

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: May 20, 2020, 12:24:33 AM »
In the post is written...
You will not be eligible for PUA if you can telework, or if you are receiving paid sick leave or other paid leave benefits (regardless of meeting a category listed above).

Its not written if you were OFFERED to Telework (as in the Tweet) only If you "CAN", If you need to take care of child care, than you CAN'T TELEWORK and should be eligible.

[Rules are not setup by tweets)
My understanding of the term "regardless of meeting a category listed above" is that taking away all those reasons, can you telework? If the answer is yes you are not eligible for PUA.

Tweets do give you an understanding of the DOLs intention in interpreting the laws they make...

Offline TBD

• View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: May 20, 2020, 12:31:11 AM »
My understanding of the term "regardless of meeting a category listed above" is that taking away all those reasons, can you telework? If the answer is yes you are not eligible for PUA.

Tweets do give you an understanding of the DOLs intention in interpreting the laws they make...
The answer in "NO" I CAN'T TELEWORK Because I have children at home

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: May 20, 2020, 12:42:05 AM »
These things get processed in queues.

I just realized, they might intentionally run these batches after hours so that processing them (which might include a lot more than sending texts/emails) doesn't bog down their systems during regular business hours.

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: May 20, 2020, 12:59:38 AM »
@cgr or anyone else,  Do you know the procedure to apply in PA?  Where would I look it up?  partial unemployment
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: May 20, 2020, 01:19:55 AM »
@cgr or anyone else,  Do you know the procedure to apply in PA?  Where would I look it up?  partial unemployment

Here you go: https://www.uc.pa.gov/unemployment-benefits/benefits-information/Pages/Partial-Benefit-Credit.aspx

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: May 20, 2020, 01:36:51 AM »
I just realized, they might intentionally run these batches after hours so that processing them (which might include a lot more than sending texts/emails) doesn't bog down their systems during regular business hours.
Correct, and why the “consumer” side of the website is closed after hours. Easier to track and process everything when nothing else is being submitted.

We're sorry, we are unable to serve you at this time due to technical difficulties or scheduled downtime for internal processing.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: May 20, 2020, 07:57:55 AM »
Correct, and why the “consumer” side of the website is closed after hours. Easier to track and process everything when nothing else is being submitted.

Modern systems shouldn’t have these limitations, but they’re apparently still running on COBOL mainframes, so...

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #1176 on: May 20, 2020, 09:12:32 AM »
I shouldn't 'Like' this but it makes sense
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Geshmak25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: May 20, 2020, 09:32:22 AM »
Re partial unemployment in NJ, if I earn $1 less than my adjusted WBR (= WBR × 1.2) would I receive $1 benefit or $231 minimum benefit (+ $600)?
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: May 20, 2020, 09:58:30 AM »
Re partial unemployment in NJ, if I earn $1 less than my adjusted WBR (= WBR × 1.2) would I receive $1 benefit or $231 minimum benefit (+ $600)?

When earning more than 20% of your benefit rate your benefit rate is recalculated with an additional 20%. This is your partial weekly rate. Your employment earnings for each week will then be deducted from your partial weekly benefit rate and you’ll be paid the remaining balance from the state.

As long as you receive at least $1 in unemployment, you'll receive the additional $600 (up until 7/31)

(If you earn less than 20% of your benefit rate you will receive your full benefit amount.)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: May 20, 2020, 10:13:53 AM »
So odd, now I get a text reminding me to claim my weekly benefits if I haven’t yet, and this message from 4/23/2020 about a form (PUA application?) I already filled out is marked urgent in my inbox:

Dear xxxxx,

You may be eligible for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA). Please click the link below to complete the online application for PUA. You may also reach My Online Forms from the My Online Services homepage.

https://apps.labor.ny.gov/OnlineServices/Ext/onlineforms/

Please note: If you have already completed the PUA Online Form you do not need to do it again.

Thank You,
NYS Department of Labor

My PUA seems to be stuck between a rock and a hard place...