Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 478770 times)

Offline ah giten

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #1200 on: May 20, 2020, 07:23:30 PM »
I got this when signing in today, do I need to do anything to get retroactive benefits?

Offline WhiteWolf

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: May 20, 2020, 07:25:07 PM »
We all got same email

Lets hope the 5/24 Date is correct!

Offline coffeebean

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: May 20, 2020, 07:39:11 PM »
Nj: What can be done for someone who missed the weekly certification deadline?

Offline cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: May 20, 2020, 07:51:25 PM »
I got this when signing in today, do I need to do anything to get retroactive benefits?

You might have the option to certify all missed weeks in your account under "Online Forms". Not everyone has this option available, and unfortunately those who do have it and certify have not seen their funds released yet, or have only seen a part of the funds released.

Other option is to wait for the DOL docusign email. Funds from that are released in an efficient manner.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: May 20, 2020, 07:52:00 PM »
Nj: What can be done for someone who missed the weekly certification deadline?

File 2 weeks in next week's certification.

Offline coffeebean

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: May 20, 2020, 08:31:16 PM »
Unemployment was filed in February it says that I missed certification when I tried to certify on the correct day and time

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: May 20, 2020, 09:27:46 PM »
what will they do? Re the basic ui and $600.

Offline ae123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: May 20, 2020, 10:01:57 PM »
Did they all respond? Who was the most helpful?
They all responded.
Hard to say who was more helpful. Singer & Kean forwarded my email to the DOL. Kean asked me to be in touch if I have any update. Smith had me fill out a prepared form for people having issues.

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: May 20, 2020, 10:04:18 PM »
NJ
A friend of mine got this email earlier today. His Application was 4/24. A little more patience, it looks like NJ DOL is finally getting somewhere.
"Department of Labor anticipates that applications like yours will be payable the week beginning May 24, 2020."

Thank you for your patience. We understand that these are difficult weeks, and knowing your unemployment application has not been approved does nothing to ease the burden. We are writing to update you on our progress.

Over the past few weeks we have been working on processing, by order of submission, applications that qualify for the federal Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program (PUA).  We are currently assessing applications like yours for this new federal program.

Once approved, you will be able to claim all the weeks of benefits owed to you. Depending on when you filed your claim, there may be approved weeks of benefits on your claim up to and including the week that ends March 28. When you certify for benefits for those weeks, you will receive your weekly benefit amount. Starting with the week ending April 4, for each week that you certify for benefits, you will also receive the additional federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (PUC) of $600 per week, through the week of July 25.
Please monitor your email for a message from "NJDOL [ui-noreply@dol.nj.gov]." This email will notify you that your claim is ready for you to begin certifying weekly and describe the steps you must follow to ensure there are no further delays to your assistance payments.

Pandemic Unemployment Assistance is available for up to 39 weeks total; the NJ Department of Labor anticipates that applications like yours will be payable the week beginning May 24, 2020.

We recognize that the pandemic has made life difficult for many NJ workers. We will not stop working until every NJ worker is receiving the unemployment assistance they deserve.

Sincerely,
Division of Unemployment Insurance
New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development
I thought PUA was supposed to be retroactive to the date of unemployment, which for many people was before the week ending in March 28.  :-\

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: May 20, 2020, 10:07:35 PM »
I thought PUA was supposed to be retroactive to the date of unemployment, which for many people was before the week ending in March 28.  :-\

PUA is retroactive to the date of unemployment, as far back as 2/2.
FPUC is only retroactive to 3/30

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: May 20, 2020, 10:22:55 PM »
PUA is retroactive to the date of unemployment, as far back as 2/2.
FPUC is only retroactive to 3/30
In the context of that letter it seems to be referring to PUA not FPUC.
And besides, FPUC is supposed to be retroactive to the week ending 4/4 not 3/28.
So either way something is off.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: May 20, 2020, 10:30:26 PM »
In the context of that letter it seems to be referring to PUA not FPUC.
And besides, FPUC is supposed to be retroactive to the week ending 4/4 not 3/28.
So either way something is off.

It mentions both PUA and FPUC.

It does state that FPUC is retroactive to the week ending in 4/4. The 3/28 is a referral to that individuals unemployment date/week.

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: May 20, 2020, 11:19:12 PM »
NJ.
How can I check the status of my FPUC payments?
The NJ unemployment site only shows the PUA status.

Offline maxie m

• View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: May 21, 2020, 10:49:27 AM »
(ny)
How long after approval, are pua/fpuc payments being sent out? So far just see my last week worked in payment history
Dumb people learn from their own mistakes,smart people,from the mistakes of others

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: May 21, 2020, 10:53:08 AM »
(ny)
How long after approval, are pua/fpuc payments being sent out? So far just see my last week worked in payment history

I'd say for 85%+ payments get released as you certify (the backpay is a separate issue).
Then there are a few lucky guys like @AsherO who are stuck in limbo...

Offline maxie m

• View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: May 21, 2020, 10:55:13 AM »
I'd say for 85%+ payments get released as you certify (the backpay is a separate issue).
hmm, already certified from mid March till now. But was approved yesterday.
Dumb people learn from their own mistakes,smart people,from the mistakes of others

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: May 21, 2020, 11:05:21 AM »
hmm, already certified from mid March till now. But was approved yesterday.

Regarding backpay certifications:
You might have the option to certify all missed weeks in your account under "Online Forms". Not everyone has this option available, and unfortunately those who do have it and certify have not seen their funds released yet, or have only seen a part of the funds released.

Other option is to wait for the DOL docusign email. Funds from that are released in an efficient manner.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: May 21, 2020, 11:06:18 AM »

Thanks for the shout out.

I got a letter in the mail today asking me to certify for a week during mid-March. If they included a time-machine I’d happily oblige...
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline springles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: May 21, 2020, 11:19:00 AM »
Not sure if anyone has addressed my question before. If someone works in a school so is employed 10 months a year and then usually has a summer job (let's say they work in a camp but every year is different). Can they apply for PUA if the summer job doesn't work out this year?
Thanks

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: May 21, 2020, 11:32:00 AM »
Not sure if anyone has addressed my question before. If someone works in a school so is employed 10 months a year and then usually has a summer job (let's say they work in a camp but every year is different). Can they apply for PUA if the summer job doesn't work out this year?
Thanks

You can if you have a written offer of employment and it falls through.
If you can't find one because of the pandemic, then you're out of luck.