Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 478883 times)

Offline springles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #1220 on: May 21, 2020, 01:07:27 PM »
You can if you have a written offer of employment and it falls through.
If you can't find one because of the pandemic, then you're out of luck.
what if someone was going to be self employed for the summer?

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: May 21, 2020, 01:12:07 PM »
what if someone was going to be self employed for the summer?

If you started working on a self-employment venture you're eligible (working on self-employment ventures is considered "work" under UI and needs to be reported). You'll need to submit a business plan or the like as proof.

Offline TBD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: May 21, 2020, 01:30:16 PM »
Thank you.That's a nice theory, but that's not the question on the form. The question is "Did your employer offer you remote work or work from home, doing your customary job for the same pay rate and same number of hours as you would normally work?". That doesn't leave any room for your interpretation.
An offer from your employer to work at home is not enough. He needs to provide you with with a Computer, Internet connection, and a quiet place to work. If you don't have that than he didn't provide you with an offer to Telework.

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #1223 on: May 21, 2020, 01:30:43 PM »
An offer from your employer to work at home is not enough. He needs to provide you with with a Computer, Internet connection, and a quiet place to work. If you don't have that than he didn't provide you with an offer to Telework.
And a live in babysitter?
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline TBD

• View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: May 21, 2020, 01:33:39 PM »
And a live in babysitter?
No. He can rent you a private office where you should go work, and than you will need to find a babysitter for you children, If you don't find than you can file for UI because a lack of childcare. But as long as he doesn't provide you with basics to work, it is not considered an offer to work

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #1225 on: May 21, 2020, 01:34:27 PM »
No. He can rent you a private office where you should go work, and than you will need to find a babysitter for you children, If you don't find than you can file for UI because a lack of childcare. But as long as he doesn't provide you with basics to work, it is not considered an offer to work
Interesting thanks
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: May 21, 2020, 01:46:33 PM »
Source?

Offline TBD

• View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: May 21, 2020, 01:57:25 PM »
Source?
If your employer doesn't provide you with an computer, internet, than it is considered an offer to Telework?

Offline TBD

• View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: May 21, 2020, 01:58:51 PM »
Interesting thanks
It is my opinion but I think it should work.
Lets say your employer decides he doesn't want to pay anymore rent, he is setting up the office on the street, will you be required to work on the street or you will be able to quit your job and file for Unemployment?

Requirements to receive benefits
You can apply for Unemployment Insurance benefits (file a claim for benefits) if you have worked in
New York or another state. In order to receive benefits, you must:
• Have lost employment through no fault of your own

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: May 21, 2020, 02:05:50 PM »
If your employer doesn't provide you with an computer, internet, than it is considered an offer to Telework?

The issue is that no new telework laws were released...

In general employment offers can go both ways- an employer can provide you with the space and materials, or your contract can stipulate that you will need to provide your own.

You are allowed to refuse job offers if they're 20% less than your usual salary. Perhaps the cost of setting up a telework space will set you back 20% so you can rightfully refuse, but again the question if you received an offer still stands, and I'm not sure how you can answer no to that. I'd love to know that you can but need a verifiable source.

Offline TBD

• View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: May 21, 2020, 02:18:14 PM »
The issue is that no new telework laws were released...

In general employment offers can go both ways- an employer can provide you with the space and materials, or your contract can stipulate that you will need to provide your own.

You are allowed to refuse job offers if they're 20% less than your usual salary. Perhaps the cost of setting up a telework space will set you back 20% so you can rightfully refuse, but again the question if you received an offer still stands, and I'm not sure how you can answer no to that. I'd love to know that you can but need a verifiable source.
As you pointed out very clearly, this is not a telework question.
 Till mow my employer provided me with office space to work and from now on he requires I should pay for an office. I can refuse the job.

Offline TBD

• View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: May 21, 2020, 02:30:40 PM »
As you pointed out very clearly, this is not a telework question.
 Till mow my employer provided me with office space to work and from now on he requires I should pay for an office. I can refuse the job.
If I will accept my employers offer and rent a new office, I can apply for UI because lack of child care

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: May 21, 2020, 02:33:35 PM »
If I will accept my employers offer and rent a new office, I can apply for UI because lack of child care

My concern is that the questions is employer-side phrased, not employee.
If you rent an office, as far as the employer is concerned that's telework and they have written proof of that, which does not give you the childcare exemption.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: May 21, 2020, 02:38:43 PM »
FYI- unemployment compensation is considered unearned income.
For unearned income you need to file a return if you have a over 1.1k in income- unlike earned income where the threshold is 12.2k (single filer).

Offline TBD

• View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: May 21, 2020, 02:44:23 PM »
HERE YOU GO
IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN AT HOME WHO REQUIRE CARE, YOU CAN FILE FOR PUA EVEN IF YOUR EMPLOYER OFFERED YOU TO TELEWORK.

https://www.dol.gov/coronavirus/unemployment-insurance

My employer will let me work from home with pay. However, because my children are out of school and my spouse is working, I need to care for them and it is too difficult to work from home. Under Section 2102(a)(3)(A)(ii)(I)(dd) of the CARES Act, I self-certify that I need my kids to be at school in order for me to be able to work. Do I qualify for PUA?

You may qualify. The CARES Act does provide PUA to an individual who is the “primary caregiver” of a child who is at home due to a forced school closure that directly results from the COVID-19 public health emergency. However, to qualify as a primary caregiver, your provision of care to the child must require such ongoing and constant attention that it is not possible for you to perform your customary work functions at home. For example, if your employer allows you to telework and you are caring for a more mature child who is able to care for him or herself for much of the day, you likely would not qualify for PUA because you are still able to work.

Offline TBD

• View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: May 21, 2020, 02:47:50 PM »
An individual is the primary caregiver of a child or household member who is unable to attend school or another facility that is closed due to COVID-19. Notably, this includes an individual whose job allows for telework, but where the provision of care to a child or household member requires such “ongoing and constant attention that it is not possible for the individual to perform work at home”;

https://www.lawandtheworkplace.com/2020/04/u-s-dol-issues-additional-guidance-on-cares-act-unemployment-programs/

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: May 21, 2020, 02:50:27 PM »
HERE YOU GO
IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN AT HOME WHO REQUIRE CARE, YOU CAN FILE FOR PUA EVEN IF YOUR EMPLOYER OFFERED YOU TO TELEWORK.

My employer will let me work from home with pay. However, because my children are out of school and my spouse is working, I need to care for them and it is too difficult to work from home. Under Section 2102(a)(3)(A)(ii)(I)(dd) of the CARES Act, I self-certify that I need my kids to be at school in order for me to be able to work. Do I qualify for PUA?

You may qualify. The CARES Act does provide PUA to an individual who is the “primary caregiver” of a child who is at home due to a forced school closure that directly results from the COVID-19 public health emergency. However, to qualify as a primary caregiver, your provision of care to the child must require such ongoing and constant attention that it is not possible for you to perform your customary work functions at home. For example, if your employer allows you to telework and you are caring for a more mature child who is able to care for him or herself for much of the day, you likely would not qualify for PUA because you are still able to work.

Here's the thing about telework:
According to the NY DOL if you're offered a telework option you don't qualify even with the childcare exception.
https://dol.ny.gov/pandemic-unemployment-assistance

According to the US DOL however, you do qualify if your child/ren would require constant attention and can't fend for themselves.

So looks like it's a question that needs human communication... you might even need to point out the US DOL rules to them.

Offline yosefsv

• View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: May 21, 2020, 04:03:44 PM »
You might have the option to certify all missed weeks in your account under "Online Forms". Not everyone has this option available, and unfortunately those who do have it and certify have not seen their funds released yet, or have only seen a part of the funds released.
I finally see a release date (of today) for all backdated weeks, certified on the online PUA form (not docusign).
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline yosefsv

• View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: May 21, 2020, 04:08:50 PM »
Thanks for the shout out.

I got a letter in the mail today asking me to certify for a week during mid-March. If they included a time-machine I’d happily oblige...
@AsherO  you still didn't get a monitory determination?

the friend of mine that got 2 FPUC payments randomly, has a release date for a few backdated weeks, form the missing 4 weeks he already got 2 FPUC payments randomly.
hopefully he will eventually also get the other 2 FPUC and 4 PUA deposits.
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: May 21, 2020, 04:15:53 PM »
@AsherO  you still didn't get a monitory determination?

the friend of mine that got 2 FPUC payments randomly, has a release date for a few backdated weeks, form the missing 4 weeks he already got 2 FPUC payments randomly.
hopefully he will eventually also get the other 2 FPUC and 4 PUA deposits.

I was at 0, then got a weekly benefit determination after sending in a fax as recommended above by cgr
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)