Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 471026 times)

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #1380 on: May 26, 2020, 04:07:26 PM »
Anyone receive a notice in the mail that they worked in a school system and possibly won't receive a payment for the summer months ,along with a questionnaire to fill out?
How are you going about it?
Technically we were laid off without a return date and so should not be considered vacation leave
Notice from who? What does your contract say regarding payments of summer months?

Offline maxie m

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: May 26, 2020, 04:15:31 PM »
Notice from who? What does your contract say regarding payments of summer months?
notice from DOL, the contract is officially a 10 month contract, Wich does not include the summer, although we were let off without a return date
Dumb people learn from their own mistakes,smart people,from the mistakes of others

Offline lubaby

• View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: May 26, 2020, 04:28:23 PM »
although we were let off without a return date
This has nothing to do with the end of your contract (job expires end of school year, Coronavirus / school closure aside)..

notice from DOL, the contract is officially a 10 month contract, Wich does not include the summer,
Per that contract, you were never supposed to be working in the summer, so you can't collect unemployment.

If you had another contract for summer work and that was cancelled, you can possibly get PUA.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #1383 on: May 26, 2020, 05:03:14 PM »
No idea why some are able to proceed while others are not. Odd.
How would you certify for 1 day if you're fully employed?
For example today I would certify that I worked 2 days? Monday and Tues?
Would that suffice?

Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Online cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: May 26, 2020, 05:12:49 PM »
For example today I would certify that I worked 2 days? Monday and Tues?
Would that suffice?

I can't remember offhand if you get to recertify for the week certified on the application or not. Anyone remember?

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: May 26, 2020, 05:14:01 PM »
I can't remember offhand if you get to recertify for the week certified on the application or not. Anyone remember?

Although you might be right- I'm pretty certain that the only certification that comes with the application is the first "waiting week" which dates all the way back to your last date worked.

Awesome hack if it works!

Offline ah giten

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: May 26, 2020, 05:43:21 PM »
This has nothing to do with the end of your contract (job expires end of school year, Coronavirus / school closure aside)..
Per that contract, you were never supposed to be working in the summer, so you can't collect unemployment.

If you had another contract for summer work and that was cancelled, you can possibly get PUA.
What if I worked the last 8 years in the schools summer program, but can't this year, does that make a dif?

Offline lubaby

• View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: May 26, 2020, 05:54:11 PM »
What if I worked the last 8 years in the schools summer program, but can't this year, does that make a dif?
If you have a letter of intent / proof you were supposed to have been hired for this summer as well, sure.

If you’re just basing off circumstantial evidence (worked there in the past, no reason to not have been hired now), I doubt it.

Offline maxie m

• View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: May 26, 2020, 06:51:14 PM »

(small edit- there was no contract in my case,(it's month to month)) it's pretty clear from the questionnaire sent that it's not necessarily contingent on whether  I was supposed to work in the summer,but rather if I can expect to return to the same job after vacation,
If one is let off indefinitely in June,it would appear its no longer considered vacation period  between successive terms
See here as well

: What constitutes reasonable assurance if I am a ‘regular’ employee?

A: You would have reasonable assurance of a job, if you receive:

A letter for hire
A letter for re-hire
Verbal assurance that you are to return to work for the following term
Or
If you have a history of re-hire (unless you have been told that you will not return) AND you can expect to earn at least 90% of the prior term's wages and benefits
Dumb people learn from their own mistakes,smart people,from the mistakes of others

Offline Abe100

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: May 26, 2020, 07:09:54 PM »
Does partial unemployment receive the full minimum of 182 in NY and the full 600? or does it all get pro-rated?

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: May 26, 2020, 07:11:03 PM »
It's pretty clear from the questionnaire sent that it's not necessarily contingent on whether I was supposed to work in the summer, but rather if I can expect to return to the same job after vacation,

Found this upthread- apparently it's been discussed:

A college professor who had been teaching Spring Semester classes was assigned to teach Sumner classes but they were cancelled due to the virus. When does she apply? When Spring 2020 ends (and she is now unemployed) or when the Summer semester would have started...?

Does she usually get paid for the break?

No.

Looks like she can file from when the semester ends. See below.

https://www.jobs.ny.gov/ui/claimantinfo/unemployment-guidance-for-teachers-and-other-school-employees.shtm

So to sum it up:
If you usually get paid for 12 months and are laid off, you're eligible during summertime even if you're going back in September.
If you usually get paid for 10 months and are laid off, you're eligible during summertime as long as you don't have a definite job in September.

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: May 26, 2020, 07:11:35 PM »
Does partial unemployment receive the full minimum of 182 in NY and the full 600? or does it all get pro-rated?

25% deduction from your weekly benefit rate for each day worked.
$600 is a flat amount.

Offline Abe100

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: May 26, 2020, 07:13:44 PM »
25% deduction from your weekly benefit rate for each day worked.
$600 is a flat amount.

Thanks

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #1393 on: May 26, 2020, 07:45:03 PM »
Although you might be right- I'm pretty certain that the only certification that comes with the application is the first "waiting week" which dates all the way back to your last date worked.

Awesome hack if it works!
I think I was able to sign up, right before the page crashed on me.
  Now I would need to certify at least one week for all the weeks to come in I suppose?
 So I would do that tonight if I can, if not I'll try tomorrow and write how many days I worked so far from the day I certified?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: May 26, 2020, 07:50:41 PM »
Now I would need to certify at least one week for all the weeks to come in I suppose?

No. You'll need to certify for each missed week. Either via your account if you have the option available, or if you don't you'll need to wait for the DOL email.

Offline Geshmak25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: May 26, 2020, 09:15:09 PM »
In NJ is there a max number of hours you can work in order to receive partial unemployment or does only the salary matter?
PUTPAC = PITA

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: May 26, 2020, 09:19:06 PM »
In NJ is there a max number of hours you can work in order to receive partial unemployment or does only the salary matter?

You need a 20% reduction in hours.
https://myunemployment.nj.gov/before/about/calculator/

Offline Abe100

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: May 27, 2020, 03:05:50 PM »
I applied in NY for a guy who was self employed and in addition had an older W-2 from earlier in 2019. As soon as I indicated that he had wages it asked for that employers name. Never asked for how much he earned in Self employed income. How can I add the SE income to his account?

On another note, how will this effect eligibility for section 8 assistance in NYC?

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: May 27, 2020, 03:12:36 PM »
I applied in NY for a guy who was self employed and in addition had an older W-2 from earlier in 2019. As soon as I indicated that he had wages it asked for that employers name. Never asked for how much he earned in Self employed income. How can I add the SE income to his account?

On another note, how will this effect eligibility for section 8 assistance in NYC?

He can submit a reconsideration request, but they might choose to look at his W2 income only and leave him on regular UI instead of PUA.
NYC Section 8 Income limits: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nycha/section-8/applicants.page no mention of earned vs unearned income so not sure how it will affect.

Offline maxie m

• View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: May 27, 2020, 03:41:29 PM »
(ny)
Any way to claim/expedite backpay these days? Or need to wait for DOL to correct?