Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470589 times)

Offline 123-Rosh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #1840 on: June 18, 2020, 01:12:41 PM »
Asking for a friend...
For a partner of an LLC who is on PUA, if the LLC earned money in a given week, but no money was distributed to partners during this week. Eventually a percentage of net profit will flow to all partners.
Is the partner on PUA considered to have earned money this week?
If yes, what about if there are LLC expenses? How do we compute net income for the week? What if the payroll expense is next week? DO we apply next week's expenses against this week's income?
Also, what if partner didn't work, but money earned was from employees working? What if partner DID work, but expenses excede income for the week?
So many questions......

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: June 18, 2020, 01:33:52 PM »
Asking for a friend...
For a partner of an LLC who is on PUA, if the LLC earned money in a given week, but no money was distributed to partners during this week. Eventually a percentage of net profit will flow to all partners.
Is the partner on PUA considered to have earned money this week?
If yes, what about if there are LLC expenses? How do we compute net income for the week? What if the payroll expense is next week? DO we apply next week's expenses against this week's income?
Also, what if partner didn't work, but money earned was from employees working? What if partner DID work, but expenses excede income for the week?
So many questions......

Unless its a C Corp it's considered as though he earned the money, as he's not a separate entity from the business.
In NY (not sure about other states) residual income is what counts as earnings, so profits less all expenses.
If the claimant works during a given week, it needs to be recorded when certifying for that week. His benefit rate will be reduced for each day worked (NY).

Offline 123-Rosh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: June 18, 2020, 02:08:44 PM »
Unless its a C Corp it's considered as though he earned the money, as he's not a separate entity from the business.
In NY (not sure about other states) residual income is what counts as earnings, so profits less all expenses.
If the claimant works during a given week, it needs to be recorded when certifying for that week. His benefit rate will be reduced for each day worked (NY).

Thank you for all your help.

Its in NJ.
So lets say the claimant works and earns $500 in a given week. His partner works and earns $500 in the same week. The LLC's employee works and earns
$500 in the same week for the business.
The business also has $1,000 payroll expense.
The partners are 50% each.

Does the claimant declare:
$500 (what he himself worked for and earned)
$750 (his share - 50% - of the gross revenue of the business)
$250 (his share - 50% - of net income for the week)

Taking it further: What if the $1,000 payroll expense will be paid out NEXT week, but its for both weeks. Does the claimant declare:
$500 (what he himself worked for and earned)
$750 (his share - 50% - of the gross revenue of the business)
$250 (his share - 50% - of net income for the TWO WEEKS)
$125 (his share - 50% - of net income for the TWO WEEKS, divided by the TWO WEEKS), in which case he would need to declare $125 each week

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: June 18, 2020, 02:23:15 PM »
$250 (his share - 50% - of net income for the week)
See above.

Taking it further: What if the $1,000 payroll expense will be paid out NEXT week, but its for both weeks.
Again, it's earnings, not payments. He can make an estimate of net earnings each week (incurred income less incurred expenses), and when these are actually paid if it's more or less than what he claimed for, he can pick up the difference that week.

Offline 123-Rosh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: June 18, 2020, 03:25:34 PM »
See above.
Again, it's earnings, not payments. He can make an estimate of net earnings each week (incurred income less incurred expenses), and when these are actually paid if it's more or less than what he claimed for, he can pick up the difference that week.

Got it.
So if the claimant doesn't actually work and stays home to watch his kids who's school was closed, but his business earns money because his employees are working, he wouldn't report any of it as income for PUA?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: June 18, 2020, 03:32:02 PM »
Got it.
So if the claimant doesn't actually work and stays home to watch his kids who's school was closed, but his business earns money because his employees are working, he wouldn't report any of it as income for PUA?

Yes, he would include his portion of net earnings.

Offline 123-Rosh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: June 18, 2020, 04:55:28 PM »
Yes, he would include his portion of net earnings.

Thanks

Offline Hiding

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: June 18, 2020, 06:43:46 PM »
I'm trying to certify in NJ and getting an error that says: Your certification cannot be processed.
Please call your local Reemployment Call Center during regular business hours, Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm at the following numbers

Anyone knows what that means?

I did miss last week certifying for the first time, but from what I have heard that isn't an issue and you should be able to certify for two weeks.

Another thing I noticed was my WBR has been raised since last week. Would that have to do with anything? It's interesting because I am waiting for it to be raised for dependancy benefits and for (hopefully) adding 1099 income to W2 income. However the number it was raised to doesn't seem high enough for either one of these reasons.

Offline ae123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: June 18, 2020, 07:21:58 PM »
NJ.
Can someone self-employed receive more because of dependents?
If yes, what's the process of claiming dependents?
Thanks.

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #1849 on: June 18, 2020, 07:30:01 PM »
NJ.
Can someone self-employed receive more because of dependents?
If yes, what's the process of claiming dependents?
Thanks.
Up to three dependants, yes.  Google it. Its quite complicated
#TYH

Offline yosefsv

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: June 18, 2020, 09:11:18 PM »
I got a single FPUC $600 payment that’s not showing on my account. I don’t think I’m the only one...
Did they ever adjust it?
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: June 18, 2020, 11:01:54 PM »
Would someone not entitled to more than the minimum $231 (due to low income) receive more because of dependents?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: June 18, 2020, 11:19:16 PM »
Did they ever adjust it?

It’s complicated. When they processed my Docusign they missed one FPUC, but they never explained that it was already paid, they told me multiple times they’d correct it, but haven’t yet. Another reason I think that’s not the case is because they missed another week (PUA + FPUC) on my Docusign.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline schneury

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: June 19, 2020, 08:29:47 AM »
Can someone who’s getting SSI and hasn’t worked in the past 3 years get unemployment?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: June 19, 2020, 10:02:34 AM »
Can someone who’s getting SSI and hasn’t worked in the past 3 years get unemployment?

No. You need employment in the last 18 months.
If you had employment and are receiving SSI, that's fine. It doesn't count as earnings and doesn't reduce your rate.

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: June 19, 2020, 10:30:20 AM »

It's not complicated... 7% for the first dependent, 4% for a second, 4% for a third. It maxes out at 15%, so if you have more dependents it doesn't help

Offline schneury

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: June 19, 2020, 10:34:03 AM »
No. You need employment in the last 18 months.
If you had employment and are receiving SSI, that's fine. It doesn't count as earnings and doesn't reduce your rate.
would it work with a letter that they were gonna start a new job in March? If yes what details does the letter need to have?

Offline Geshmak25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: June 19, 2020, 11:05:33 AM »
It's not complicated... 7% for the first dependent, 4% for a second, 4% for a third. It maxes out at 15%, so if you have more dependents it doesn't help
Only works if both spouses were unemployed, correct?
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline Luvisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: June 19, 2020, 11:15:41 AM »
(NJ)If I take a job as an Independant Contractor but with no income being made how will that affect this?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 11:33:31 AM by Luvisrael »

Offline yosefsv

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: June 19, 2020, 11:16:41 AM »
It’s complicated. When they processed my Docusign they missed one FPUC, but they never explained that it was already paid, they told me multiple times they’d correct it, but haven’t yet. Another reason I think that’s not the case is because they missed another week (PUA + FPUC) on my Docusign.
The friend of mine who got two random FPUC payments, got backdated for every week.
I told him to hold on to the $1200, as they may still ask for it.
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.