Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470999 times)

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #1980 on: June 27, 2020, 10:34:56 PM »
If you look closely you'll see besides for self-employment.

Not including all your earnings from self-employment.

@etech0 if you read your certification question closely you'll see it's the same.

This has long been a point of contention between me and @thebudgetdeals. He feels that as long as you answer the question based on how it's phrased you can earn 1MM and still certify. I'm under the opinion that this question is a relic from the old system where you were only eligible with W2 employment and the self-employment income waiver was a perk. Now that PUA is around I don't see how you could earn and still be eligible. Are we saying that all SE who don't need to put in FT work to earn are eligible for PUA regardless of their income situation? Doesn't make sense to me that that's the purpose of PUA...

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: June 27, 2020, 10:36:55 PM »
NJ
My wife was just approved after waiting 1 month for unemployment. The few months before she made anywhere from $2-450 a week. Can I adjust the claim for the previous weeks to get the $600 bonus for those weeks?

When asked the question "when was the last day worked" on her application she should have entered the date she last earned more than her WBR. That would have been her effective claim date.
You should be able to correct by talking to an agent at the DOL, but I know that's close to impossible in NJ...

Offline schneury

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: June 27, 2020, 10:39:47 PM »
When asked the question "when was the last day worked" on her application she should have entered the date she last earned more than her WBR. That would have been her effective claim date.
You should be able to correct by talking to an agent at the DOL, but I know that's close to impossible in NJ...
is it possible to send them a message like in NY? Or can she make a new claim for the previous dates?

Offline ae123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: June 27, 2020, 11:04:47 PM »
FTFY

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: June 27, 2020, 11:08:55 PM »
is it possible to send them a message like in NY? Or can she make a new claim for the previous dates?

Post if you actually get a response or see the change made.

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=0cN2UAI4n0uzauCkG9ZCp8zTKxTpe0RMmjY7qrMr_3BUOFlVUklYTzhDQjlWR0NaMVk1NjBQODJDWCQlQCN0PWcu

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile

Offline LNS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: June 27, 2020, 11:53:59 PM »
i haven't been following this thread so sorry if this was discussed but i have hit a brick wall and need some help
i helped a few people apply for unemployment and all have since received payments except for one person
the only update i see online is that application is still pending as we are trying to determine how much money to send
but this has been going on for months with no changes
we tried calling but were never able to get thru
we haven't received any mail from them or any other form of communications
and we contacted UJO to send a message thru there forms but still no changes
we have been calling and claiming benefits every week
would really appreciate any help as this person is really dependent and waiting on the funds

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: June 28, 2020, 12:02:34 AM »
the only update i see online is that application is still pending as we are trying to determine how much money to send

Assuming NY it shouldn't be difficult to reach an agent at 888-209-8124
If that doesn't work you can try to move it along by submitting a Reconsideration Form. If you need instructions on how to complete feel free to email me at chaiplus1@gmail.com

Offline helpusout

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: June 28, 2020, 12:09:54 AM »
If they go with a 24-week covered period their weekly "wage" will be $208 ($5,000/24), and they'll be able to get a partial UI payment.

If you review the SBA thread you'll see I floated the possibility of claiming that the entire 5k should be paid out over the last 2.5 months of the 24-week period, which will be ~$455/week ($5,000/11 weeks) for the last 11 weeks, but $0 for the first 13. This will enable them to collect fully for the first 13 weeks of PPP, but they'll need to stop claiming for the final 11 weeks of PPP.

so if the ppp was paid over 8 week period( or less) can one apply for unemployment once those funds were depleted ?

Offline yosefsv

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: June 28, 2020, 12:55:32 AM »
Assuming NY it shouldn't be difficult to reach an agent at 888-209-8124
If that doesn't work you can try to move it along by submitting a Reconsideration Form. If you need instructions on how to complete feel free to email me at chaiplus1@gmail.com
If the initial application was done over the phone or via the old interface(UI), you could just complete the PUA application (new interface) and the monetary determination will be updated within 48-72 hours
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: June 28, 2020, 12:58:40 AM »
so if the ppp was paid over 8 week period( or less) can one apply for unemployment once those funds were depleted ?

Correct.

Offline boro boy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: June 28, 2020, 02:34:47 AM »
NJ
i was approved when can i expect payment?

thanks
👆hit the like button :-)

Offline pointer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: June 28, 2020, 11:28:40 AM »
NJ

Can you claim dependency benefits under PUA?

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: June 28, 2020, 01:31:28 PM »
Anyone in NJ get the 600 per week retroactively? Do I have to call in or is that just for reg UI?

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: June 28, 2020, 02:18:07 PM »
NJ

Filed and certified for someone, and while certifying I corrected the "last day worked" to make it a week earlier. The claim then said "not payable at this time" and "must be manually reviewed" (I'm assuming because of the change).

Now, got an email saying
"Dear Claimant,

Your claim has been updated and is payable at this time.  During the certification process you likely answered one of the 7 questions in a manner in which, under regular conditions, would require speaking with an agent to complete the process.  During the pandemic, these restrictions have been modified to allow claimants to answer the questions per the COVID-19 circumstances.  
Beginning Saturday, June 27, you may certify for your benefits, per the published schedule.
The email went on with the standard form email, listing how you are supposed to answer all the questions.

Question is: is this claim only from the listed date, of this week? Or will the weeks that I certified for in the past now go through and payment will be given on the past?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: June 28, 2020, 02:52:20 PM »
Now should one have work each day in that week, I would have assumed you don't have to bother filing or writing you worked that week 4+ days.

My point being here, now where I worked a full weeks I didn't bother filing, now jumping a month later, where work is slow again and I want to start filing again I see there's a break in claim which I need to fill out and then another form.

Claiming that you worked 4+ days or earned $504+ does not solve the break in claim issue. If you file that you worked fully one week, and then go back to partial or full certification, you still get the break in claim and employer info form, as they noticed that you worked fully and are now back to claiming fully or partially and want that employer's info.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #1996 on: June 28, 2020, 03:00:11 PM »
Claiming that you worked 4+ days or earned $504+ does not solve the break in claim issue. If you file that you worked fully one week, and then go back to partial or full certification, you still get the break in claim and employer info form, as they noticed that you worked fully and are now back to claiming fully or partially and want that employer's info.
I hear that.

I filled in everything as is and hope it works.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline helpusout

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: June 28, 2020, 03:56:15 PM »

since the ppp was for someone on a 1099, its not quite clear what period the payment was for. the entire amount was issued immediately upon receipt of ppp.  how do i know when i can apply for unemployment.  i want to do this legally but theres a lot of gray .
Correct.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: June 28, 2020, 04:05:45 PM »
since the ppp was for someone on a 1099, its not quite clear what period the payment was for. the entire amount was issued immediately upon receipt of ppp.  how do i know when i can apply for unemployment.  i want to do this legally but theres a lot of gray .

Since there is no official guidelines on this from the SBA or the DOL, you want to go with something you can defend. In my opinion the two most 'defendable' options are:
1) equal payments spread out over the chosen covered period (8 weeks or 24 weeks)
2) equal payments spread out over any 2.5 months when choosing a 24-week covered period (2.5 months of payments is the actual funding you received)

Offline helpusout

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: June 28, 2020, 04:09:54 PM »
yes id like to go with the 8 week option. so if payment was received may 1, can i safely go with july 1 for unemployment.  all the ppp money was spent by june 30..