Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470774 times)

Online cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #2120 on: July 02, 2020, 01:17:57 PM »
if one started to work again in NJ do they have the option keep certifying and declaring their wages earned or do they have to stop logging in to certify?

You can always certify your claim if you have one open and have days/weeks left. Question is why would you go through the bother.

Offline Pupashtetl

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: July 02, 2020, 01:47:17 PM »
Anyone had luck getting through to a live agent in New York?

Also, any update on NJ Backpay?

I'm sorry if these questions might have been addressed in the tens of pages beforehand, but I don't have time to scroll through all of them. Anyone with information on this should please answer.

Thank you very much!

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: July 02, 2020, 02:11:27 PM »
I'm sorry if these questions might have been addressed in the tens of pages beforehand, but I don't have time to scroll through all of them. Anyone with information on this should please answer.

Thank you very much!

You shouldn't have any crazy wait times with the NY DOL (unless you ask to be transferred- that takes a little longer).
My understanding is that currently NJ backpay is not automated and you need to talk to an agent to request.

Offline nucheiner

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: July 02, 2020, 02:55:51 PM »
You shouldn't have any crazy wait times with the NY DOL (unless you ask to be transferred- that takes a little longer).
My understanding is that currently NJ backpay is not automated and you need to talk to an agent to request.
Just a DP. After successfully getting someone the dependency allowance they got an email that she will be getting an amount of XXX, which is back pay for this increase in the rate. But this kind of back pay is nothing new and is probably automated. (I also cant confirm that the money actually came , but id assume so)

Offline TBD

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: July 02, 2020, 03:00:06 PM »
Thank you for contacting the New Jersey Department of Labor's Division of Unemployment Insurance.  Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have experienced a significant increase in the number of email inquiries to the Division.  A new site now allows applicants to view claim status information which is updated daily; please click the following link to the NJUI Claim Status App to view your claim information.

Please review the resources and recommended next steps below regarding your topic of concern.

To get a status on your claim, please go to our website at https://myunemployment.nj.gov and select the ‘Check claim status here’ option.  Enter your information for the status of your claim.  Keep checking daily until your Claim Status shows ‘Filed’.  Once it’s in that status and shows your Weekly Benefit Rate (WBR), you may Certify for Weekly Benefits (which is the next option next to the one for checking your claim status).

- If your claim status is showing as "Pending," please continue to check until it is showing as "Filed".  Please check back regularly for an update to your status, but be aware that due to the unprecedented volume of claims filed, there may be a 2-3 week delay.

- If your claim status is showing as "Filed", with an amount in the WBR field, you are ready to claim your weekly benefits. For more information on when to claim your weekly benefits please visit: https://myunemployment.nj.gov/labor/myunemployment/schedule.shtml

- If your claim status is showing as "Filed", with a zero ($0) amount in the WBR, your claim is still being reviewed.  Certain individuals, such as those who are self-employed, with a $0 balance will be processed under the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) program. Please check your email regularly for more information on what may be required for determining your eligibility for benefits.

For additional information, please visit:

Guide to interpreting unemployment filing questions during COVID-19: https://myunemployment.nj.gov/labor/myunemployment/covidinstructions.shtml

How to File Weekly for Benefits: https://myunemployment.nj.gov/labor/myunemployment/before/about/howtoapply/howtocertify.shtml

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions during COVID-19: https://www.nj.gov/labor/NJWorkers

Additional COVID-19 Resources: https://www.nj.gov/labor/covidFAQ

Guidance for Self-Employed Individuals:
https://myunemployment.nj.gov/assets/pdfs/UI_process_selfemployed.pdf

Thank you for your patience as we deal with a historic volume of claims.

Sincerely,

Division of Unemployment Insurance

NJ Department of Labor and Workforce Development

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: July 02, 2020, 03:14:15 PM »
Interesting news... I found someone in NJ who's claim was backdated! She applied after Pesach, just got approved, and when she went in to certify for the first time, it offered all the weeks since March 22! We can't figure out why though, she didn't do anything different.

Offline davidd75

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: July 02, 2020, 04:56:40 PM »
You can always certify your claim if you have one open and have days/weeks left. Question is why would you go through the bother.
why not? always worth a chance rather than doing nothing?

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: July 02, 2020, 05:12:23 PM »
why not? always worth a chance rather than doing nothing?

A chance at what? If you're below your WBR you should certify because you'll get a payment, and if you're above it you won't. Simple as that.

Offline boro boy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: July 02, 2020, 11:36:49 PM »
in nj
i had a baby can i certify the weekly benefits?
i would usually do some work from home and get pay'd
Thanks
👆hit the like button :-)

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: July 02, 2020, 11:54:55 PM »
in nj
Thanks

If you always work when you have a baby, no reason why not. (Not really sure why you can't even if not, but I know the LRRC disagrees with me)

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: July 03, 2020, 12:00:56 AM »
in nj
Thanks

If you're W2 you can go on Family Leave Unemployment. Will definitely prevent them from disqualifying you.
Not sure if you'll get the $600 though.

Offline boro boy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: July 03, 2020, 12:08:46 AM »
If you're W2 you can go on Family Leave Unemployment. Will definitely prevent them from disqualifying you.
Not sure if you'll get the $600 though.

nice thanks
Were you able and available for work?
Were you actively seeking work?
whats the answer ?
👆hit the like button :-)

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: July 03, 2020, 01:14:37 AM »
nice thanks
Were you able and available for work?
Were you actively seeking work?
whats the answer ?

There are instructions there. Basically if you are out of work due to corona then you can say yes to those questions

Offline qwerty123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: July 03, 2020, 10:29:53 AM »
I just got my WBR updated on the website and its much lower then 60% . How would i get them to update that?

Online YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: July 03, 2020, 10:35:19 AM »
I just got my WBR updated on the website and its much lower then 60% . How would i get them to update that?
location?

Offline helpusout

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: July 03, 2020, 11:43:04 AM »

I went to certify today for NJ unemployment, its making me do all the back weeks that I missed, after one week it says this:

Any help? The next time for me is on Shabbos..
A system error occurred while processing your certification. Please check the schedule at

https://myunemployment.nj.gov/labor/myunemployment/schedule.shtml

for your next chance to certify during the "Missed Your Time" window at the end of the day. We are working to correct this issue and apologize for this inconvenience.

Online YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: July 03, 2020, 11:59:36 AM »
According to the website, you are supposed to "contact them" for a "monetary review", though the agent I spoke to said she has no power to change it, and that I should file an appeal. It probably pays to file an appeal and also try to get through to them.

Offline greatdeals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: July 03, 2020, 03:05:08 PM »
I missed my time on Tuesday it says either Friday or Saturday is makeup day but it's not letting me certify now

Online zevi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: July 03, 2020, 03:07:22 PM »
I missed my time on Tuesday it says either Friday or Saturday is makeup day but it's not letting me certify now
There’s still only certain times you can certify, check the website for your time slot.

Offline greatdeals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: July 03, 2020, 03:19:30 PM »
I just checked again I made a mistake I missed my makeup time what do I do can't do it tomorrow?