Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470666 times)

Online cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #2180 on: July 06, 2020, 12:03:05 AM »
For NJ, will you be able to get the $600 for the week of July 26- Aug 1?
The majority of the week is in July.
I've seen some writing above that it ends on July 25th, but is that true?, and why would that be, since the majority of the next week is still July.

No. You won't get it for July 26- Aug 1.
It ends on 7/25 in NJ, 7/26 in NY.
The law was written in a way that it ends with the UI week ending prior to 7/31.

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: July 06, 2020, 12:10:46 AM »
Thanks.
I've also seen that Pua for the self employed goes until Dec 31 2020.
That would not be for the $600 portion, just the part that's equivalent for the reg state unemployment amount?

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: July 06, 2020, 01:12:36 AM »
You're comparing apples to oranges.
The overwhelming majority of women who give birth take off a few weeks.
To claim that she was ready, willing and able to work is more often than not going to be viewed as a fraudulent claim which is a felony.
Go ahead and do what you want.
I am only trying to keep fellow yidden out of jail.
Apparently, I was made aware of a few stories.
The end.

You know verified stories of people in jail for this?
and I was replying to someone who says his wife usually does work from home after a baby. That should be fairly easy to prove. And even the LRRC, who is telling everyone the most machmir opinion on everything, is saying that if you usually continue working after a baby you can continue collecting UI now

Offline ae123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: July 06, 2020, 08:37:22 AM »
You know verified stories of people in jail for this?
I know people in serious trouble.
Where things end up is up to Hashem.

and I was replying to someone who says his wife usually does work from home after a baby
Fine. And I'm trying to make clear that won't apply for the vast majority of people.

And even the LRRC, who is telling everyone the most machmir opinion on everything, is saying that if you usually continue working after a baby you can continue collecting UI now
Which is highly unusual and difficult to prove, which can lead to serious issues.

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: July 06, 2020, 09:38:18 AM »
Thanks.
I've also seen that Pua for the self employed goes until Dec 31 2020.
That would not be for the $600 portion, just the part that's equivalent for the reg state unemployment amount?

Correct.
It goes through the UI week ending prior to 12/31/20.
That's 12/26 in NJ, and 12/27 in NY.
Note that while PUA is normally limited to a total of 39 weeks, NJ has added an additional 20 weeks to all claims, but since PUA cannot go past 12/31/20, it's effectively a maximum of 46 weeks for PUA applicants (59 for regular claimants).

Offline davidd75

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: July 06, 2020, 10:20:16 AM »
There's something more to it. Perhaps their WBR was adjusted and now they are owed a payment for that week? Perhaps the $600 is for a different week?
It's very clear that the $600 is only triggered by a UI payment. No payment= no $600.
what could it be? there was a $0 amount no partial payment.  can they keep certifying while declaring all income or is this not good behavior?

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: July 06, 2020, 10:44:29 AM »
what could it be? there was a $0 amount no partial payment.  can they keep certifying while declaring all income or is this not good behavior?

They can keep certifying but I seriously doubt the $600 payment is as result of that $0 certification.

Offline avrumy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: July 06, 2020, 10:46:25 AM »
There was one week where i did not get the $600, and only got the $231.  I need to call or will it eventually come? its been a month.

Offline est

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: July 06, 2020, 11:32:47 AM »
In nj when ppl are saying to call to get packpay is this talking about from beginning of when they were unemployed or from when they filed UI?
I have been receiving from when I first applied, but on the application I wrote the date I first became unemployed which was a few weeks prior. I’m self employed so did not realize I could file for UI until a few weeks in...
Thanx

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: July 06, 2020, 11:41:05 AM »
In nj when ppl are saying to call to get packpay is this talking about from beginning of when they were unemployed or from when they filed UI?
I have been receiving from when I first applied, but on the application I wrote the date I first became unemployed which was a few weeks prior. I’m self employed so did not realize I could file for UI until a few weeks in...
Thanx

In NJ you can certify from when you file your application, but you cannot certify from your layoff date til you filed unless you call in. That's the backpay being referenced.

Offline 159dallas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
  • Programs: IHG Platinum Premier, Hertz PC, Enterprise EE
« Reply #2190 on: July 06, 2020, 11:45:41 AM »
what is the minimum you make and still certify?

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: July 06, 2020, 12:08:04 PM »
I know people in serious trouble.
Where things end up is up to Hashem.

These are current stories of people on PUA due to Covid-19? I didn't think that the unemployment office has the manpower to do audits if they can't even process applications...

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: July 06, 2020, 12:10:59 PM »
In NJ you can certify from when you file your application, but you cannot certify from your layoff date til you filed unless you call in. That's the backpay being referenced.

are you sure you have to call in? has anybody been successful yet in NJ?

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: July 06, 2020, 12:35:12 PM »
are you sure you have to call in? has anybody been successful yet in NJ?

They might come up with an automated backpay system eventually, but right now there is none.

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: July 06, 2020, 12:35:59 PM »
what is the minimum you make and still certify?

You need to provide more information.

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: July 06, 2020, 12:50:13 PM »
They might come up with an automated backpay system eventually, but right now there is none.
any data points of anybody in nj getting UB back to date last worked?

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: July 06, 2020, 12:53:18 PM »
any data points of anybody in nj getting UB back to date last worked?

A few have reported getting backpay from layoff date through application filing after calling in. None have received it automatically without a call.

Offline helpusout

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: July 06, 2020, 03:05:18 PM »
Help! I applied for unemployment.
The first week it said this
The responses you provided while certifying require manual review in order to determine your eligibility for benefits. Please allow up to 5 business days for review of your certification responses before contacting a Reemployment Call Center regarding this certification.

If your payment can be processed, you will receive another email when your payment has been sent to the bank, for deposit into your  direct deposit account. In most cases, eligible claims will be paid within 2 business days.

If your payment cannot be processed, you will be scheduled for an appointment with a Claims Examiner and notified of your appointment via US Postal Service mail. If we have a valid email address on file, you may be sent a questionnaire via email for faster processing, instead of a Claims Examiner appointment.

then I tried for the following weeks and got this response:
Your claim is not payable at this time.

If you have a pending appointment or if you have appealed a disqualification and are awaiting a determination, you have been given pended credit for week-ending . If a determination or an appeal decision is in your favor and no other disqualification(s) exist, you will be paid for the week claimed.

If you do not know why your claim is not payable, please call your nearest Reemployment Call Center.

Any idea why? Who can I call to discuss?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 03:14:26 PM by helpusout »

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: July 06, 2020, 03:11:28 PM »
Help! I applied for unemployment.
The first week it said this
The responses you provided while certifying require manual review in order to determine your eligibility for benefits. Please allow up to 5 business days for review of your certification responses before contacting a Reemployment Call Center regarding this certification.

If your payment can be processed, you will receive another email when your payment has been sent to the bank, for deposit into your  direct deposit account. In most cases, eligible claims will be paid within 2 business days.

If your payment cannot be processed, you will be scheduled for an appointment with a Claims Examiner and notified of your appointment via US Postal Service mail. If we have a valid email address on file, you may be sent a questionnaire via email for faster processing, instead of a Claims Examiner appointment.

then I tried for the following weeks and got this response:
Your claim is not payable at this time.

If you have a pending appointment or if you have appealed a disqualification and are awaiting a determination, you have been given pended credit for week-ending 05/02/20. If a determination or an appeal decision is in your favor and no other disqualification(s) exist, you will be paid for the week claimed.

If you do not know why your claim is not payable, please call your nearest Reemployment Call Center.

Any idea why? Who can I call to discuss?

You can call 732-761-2021. Keep redialing, fairly easy to get through compared to a few weeks ago.
Likely you filled something out wrong the first time which put your claim under review. Are you claiming full or partial unemployment?

Offline helpusout

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: July 06, 2020, 03:13:23 PM »

You can call 732-761-2021. Keep redialing, fairly easy to get through compared to a few weeks ago.
Likely you filled something out wrong the first time which put your claim under review. Are you claiming full or partial unemployment?

full