Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 471016 times)

Offline doovid d

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #2300 on: July 13, 2020, 10:23:43 AM »
Wife is a teacher and to my knowledge only has a 10 month contract and the school disputed her claim how do I go forward in getting her ui (applied from the day school finished as she can't work in summer)

Online cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: July 13, 2020, 11:12:40 AM »
Wife is a teacher and to my knowledge only has a 10 month contract and the school disputed her claim how do I go forward in getting her ui (applied from the day school finished as she can't work in summer)

With a 10 month contract she's not eligible in the summer unless she a) was fired/laid off for September or b) she had a summer job offer that was rescinded. If b, the school is right in rejecting her claim as they're not responsible- the DOL should put her on PUA instead.

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #2302 on: July 13, 2020, 12:02:17 PM »
Asking for someone in NY:

She is currently on unemployment due to furlough from current job. Just took a teaching job which starts in September. Can she continue to claim UI until her job starts (and she gets a paycheck) in September? Does it make a difference if she is preparing in the summer (in which case try to keep it to under 4 days/week)?

TIA
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: July 13, 2020, 12:24:16 PM »
Asking for someone in NY:

She is currently on unemployment due to furlough from current job. Just took a teaching job which starts in September. Can she continue to claim UI until her job starts (and she gets a paycheck) in September? Does it make a difference if she is preparing in the summer (in which case try to keep it to under 4 days/week)?

TIA

She can continue claiming, but yes, prep is considered work and needs to be accounted for (this is especially important for work which will result in eventual compensation).

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: July 13, 2020, 12:25:17 PM »
She can continue claiming, but yes, prep is considered work and needs to be accounted for (this is especially important for work which will result in eventual compensation).
Thanks! So as long as it's 3 days or less she should be good, since she won't be paid for her time in the summer so no need to worry about the $504 limit. Correct?

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: July 13, 2020, 01:24:14 PM »
Thanks! So as long as it's 3 days or less she should be good, since she won't be paid for her time in the summer so no need to worry about the $504 limit. Correct?

Correct.

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: July 13, 2020, 01:26:20 PM »
Correct.
Great, thanks for your help!

Offline doovid d

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: July 13, 2020, 05:01:42 PM »
With a 10 month contract she's not eligible in the summer unless she a) was fired/laid off for September or b) she had a summer job offer that was rescinded. If b, the school is right in rejecting her claim as they're not responsible- the DOL should put her on PUA instead.
this summer she couldn't get a job though other summers she had a job(this year she wasn't offered anything concrete because of corona)

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: July 13, 2020, 05:18:09 PM »
this summer she couldn't get a job though other summers she had a job(this year she wasn't offered anything concrete because of corona)

She needs to have actually been offered a job and then received notice that it was rescinded.
If she wasn't offered anything in the first place, she's not eligible (and unlike last week+ when you were able to call in and get a claim started without an offer, the NY DOL finally taught their agents the requirements and they've stopped processing these fraudulent claims).

Offline doovid d

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: July 13, 2020, 07:01:24 PM »
She needs to have actually been offered a job and then received notice that it was rescinded.
If she wasn't offered anything in the first place, she's not eligible (and unlike last week+ when you were able to call in and get a claim started without an offer, the NY DOL finally taught their agents the requirements and they've stopped processing these fraudulent claims).
can she claim not being able to do self employed work due to corona for the summer
Also how can I speak to someone in the dol I literally called 70 times from last week until now and it hi es me the message that we have too much volume of callers... And I even called at 8 in the morning and got the same response

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2310 on: July 13, 2020, 07:17:29 PM »
can she claim not being able to do self employed work due to corona for the summer
Also how can I speak to someone in the dol I literally called 70 times from last week until now and it hi es me the message that we have too much volume of callers... And I even called at 8 in the morning and got the same response

If she's self-employed and had a decrease in pay/hours that puts her within the partial unemployment limits then she can file.

If you're referring to the NY DOL I'm very surprised. I myself called a few times today and had absolutely no wait times. Try selecting a different prompt perhaps.

Offline easydoesit

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: July 13, 2020, 10:24:50 PM »
Hi everyone ,

I would greatly appreciate any help.

I live in NJ and I am self employed. I applied for unemployment about two weeks ago, even though I have been affected since March 18 when the schools closed. I realized it may be the last week I am eligible and I want to eventually get everything retroactively From March 18.

On July 7,  I received a “request for wage separation information” from the New Jersey Department of labor and workforce development In Toms River.

On July 8, I received a “notice of invalid claim” form from the New Jersey Department of labor and workforce development located in Trenton.

The reason for the denial was “during the base year there were fewer than 20 base weeks and earned less than $9999 in wages covered by the....” they wrote this, I am assuming, because I have still not filed a 2019 return yet so they have no wages on file.

On July 10 I received an email from NJDOL that I am eligible for payment of PUA. They also wrote that I am eligible for an additional $600 per week through FPUC.

They Then gave me a long list of how to certify for my benefits every week.

Here are my questions:

1. Can I get the pua $600 from the federal government regardless of the NJ denial letter?
2. How can I fight the NJ denial being that I have never even filed taxes in 2019 and It’s not even July 15 and I have an extension letter anyway?
3. Will my denial affect all my past months of eligibility (from March 18) that I plan on eventually getting)
4. How can I go about getting all the money from March 18?
5. If the email was dated after the two letters what does that mean? Is the $600 separate from the NJ money? Did they retract the rejection letter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: July 14, 2020, 10:03:52 AM »
1. Can I get the pua $600 from the federal government regardless of the NJ denial letter?
2. How can I fight the NJ denial being that I have never even filed taxes in 2019 and It’s not even July 15 and I have an extension letter anyway?
3. Will my denial affect all my past months of eligibility (from March 18) that I plan on eventually getting)
4. How can I go about getting all the money from March 18?
5. If the email was dated after the two letters what does that mean? Is the $600 separate from the NJ money? Did they retract the rejection letter?

The DOL first attempted to put you on regular unemployment, which caused the rejection letters. They then validated your claim as eligible for PUA. So:

1) The denial letters are moot once you're on PUA. You'll file benefits weekly same as with unemployment, and you'll get the $600 for all weeks from 03/29 through 07/25 where you receive at least a $1 PUA payment. For the weeks before and after you'll receive the PUA payment only. (minimum of $231 in NJ)
2) The denial is valid based on W2 wage history. You'll be placed on PUA instead which is for those with self-employment income or limited W2 history.
3) Again- denial doesn't matter as you're approved for PUA. All moneys from March 18 is owed to you.
4) At this point to get retroactive payments released in NJ you need to call the DOL.
5) Yes- they realized you're ineligible for regular UI but eligible for PUA hence the email. Both PUA ($231) and FPUC ($600) is federally funded, but it is being administered via the state and is their responsibility. The regular unemployment denial is not retracted, instead you're eligible for PUA.

Offline RSM

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: July 14, 2020, 10:47:13 AM »
In NJ. Didn't apply until about a month after last date of work. When I finally got approved it only allowed me to re-certify back to the week that I applied but not to when I stopped working. How do I get the additional weeks?
If this has been answered, Can you post a link to the answer? Thanks. I see discussion about it but some of the posts aren't clear if they are referring to NY or NJ.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 10:51:11 AM by RSM »

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: July 14, 2020, 10:54:29 AM »
In NJ. Didn't apply until about a month after last date of work. When I finally got approved it only allowed me to re-certify back to the week that I applied but not to when I stopped working. How do I get the additional weeks?
If this has been answered, Can you post a link to the answer? Thanks. I see discussion about it but some of the posts aren't clear if they are referring to NY or NJ.

In NJ there's no automated system for this.
You'll need to talk to an agent about certifying for backapy from your layoff date through your application date.

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: July 14, 2020, 11:38:28 AM »
I'm here to report back:

NJ,

Filed two appeals, May 15 and June 5.

Got a determination in the mail finally, I think from my first appeal.

Determination: I'm not eligible even though I lost self-employment income because my W2 income is more than the benefit rate. They didn't address what I raised in my second appeal that my benefit rate of $231 was set too low. I am now appealing this determination by mail, and enclosing the details of my past employment. Hopefully they'll adjust my WBR, and hopefully they'll do it quicker than my last appeal!

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #2316 on: July 14, 2020, 01:34:03 PM »
I've been trying for the last week to reach someone in NY for the unemployment.

Anyone other numbers you guys used in the past to reach them?

1888-209-8124
Is the number I tried multiple times.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #2317 on: July 14, 2020, 01:39:55 PM »
   Just curious if I had applied for unemployment, and they didn't ask me any questions regarding my work force about how much I make, where I worked and what did I do...

Does that mean they approved you for the unemployment?

To be more precise does that mean they did a background check and saw that you were eligible for it, or they believing you with what you had to say and being that you're filing for UI that would mean you didn't work and ...

Is there a prerequisite to qualify for unemployment?
 Meaning is there any set amount of hours that one needs to be qualified to get unemployment insurance?

did I have to work for six weeks before March in order for me to file for unemployment?

In essence is there some requirements that are needed to allow me to file?

Or can I say I worked for 1 hour and now I'm unemployed?

Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: July 14, 2020, 01:53:22 PM »
I've been trying for the last week to reach someone in NY for the unemployment.

Anyone other numbers you guys used in the past to reach them?

1888-209-8124
Is the number I tried multiple times.

I can't figure this out. Does the NY DOL not like certain callers? 95% of callers get through right away, no wait times at all. About 5% report not being able to get through no matter what. I know that those calling from an out-of-state area code have this issue, but seems to affect some in-state callers as well.

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: July 14, 2020, 01:58:53 PM »
   Just curious if I had applied for unemployment, and they didn't ask me any questions regarding my work force about how much I make, where I worked and what did I do...

Does that mean they approved you for the unemployment?
If it's a PUA application (no W2 history) chances are you'll be required to call and give some information about the company you last did work for. You're approved when you can a) certify and b) you've been assigned a benefit rate.

Is there a prerequisite to qualify for unemployment?
 Meaning is there any set amount of hours that one needs to be qualified to get unemployment insurance?

did I have to work for six weeks before March in order for me to file for unemployment?

In essence is there some requirements that are needed to allow me to file?

Or can I say I worked for 1 hour and now I'm unemployed?
Now with PUA, prerequisites have been waived so pretty much any employment with any $ amount is eligible.
To qualify for regular unemployment you need to have earned at least $2,600 in 2 out of 4 of the last 5 quarters.

Note that you must also have some kind of pay/hour cut to qualify so if you always work an hour a week for $50 you're now eligible for PUA, but you must either be working/earning less or not at all, to qualify. Working the same one hour for $50 does not make you "unemployed"- partially or otherwise.