Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 477952 times)

Offline VY

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #2320 on: July 14, 2020, 02:13:36 PM »
NJ.
I was pending for 2 months and my status changed now to Filed with a $0 monetary determination, What do I need to do now?

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: July 14, 2020, 02:20:20 PM »
Wow.
https://www.nj.gov/labor/lwdhome/press/2020/20200701_20weekextension.shtml
The state extension kicks in after claimants exhaust up to 26 weeks of state unemployment plus 13 weeks of federal Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC). The additional 20 weeks of benefits brings to 59 the maximum number of weeks an eligible claimant may receive in benefits at this time.

Independent contractors, self-employed workers, and others receiving Pandemic Unemployment Assistance will see their benefits end in December, after a maximum of 46 weeks, which includes extended benefits.

Looks like they're giving the extension to PUA applicants as well, but not the full 20 weeks as PUA can't extend (as of now) past December 2020.

As of July 5, NY will be offering the Extended Benefits Program.
https://www.labor.ny.gov/ui/pdfs/extended-benefits-faq.pdf

The state extension kicks in after claimants exhaust up to 26 weeks of state unemployment plus 13 weeks of federal Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC). The additional 20 weeks of benefits brings to 59 the maximum number of weeks an eligible claimant may receive in benefits at this time.

Independent contractors, self-employed workers, and others receiving Pandemic Unemployment Assistance will see their benefits end in December, after a maximum of 46 weeks, which includes extended benefits.

Looks like they're giving the extension to PUA applicants as well, but not the full 20 weeks as PUA can't extend (as of now) past December 2020.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: July 14, 2020, 02:21:01 PM »
NJ.
I was pending for 2 months and my status changed now to Filed with a $0 monetary determination, What do I need to do now?

Wait some more...

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: July 14, 2020, 02:25:19 PM »
NJ.
I know someone that had the same and after it changed to filed he was scheduled for a "monetary appointment" in October! he called and a few days later they rescheduled for this week.

Offline doovid d

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: July 14, 2020, 02:46:03 PM »
I can't figure this out. Does the NY DOL not like certain callers? 95% of callers get through right away, no wait times at all. About 5% report not being able to get through no matter what. I know that those calling from an out-of-state area code have this issue, but seems to affect some in-state callers as well.
I have been trying off the hook can't get through at all doesn't even give option to wait it just hangs up right away..

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2325 on: July 14, 2020, 02:48:15 PM »
I have been trying off the hook can't get through at all doesn't even give option to wait it just hangs up right away..

Open a consolation/support group with @myi  :) :) :)

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #2326 on: July 14, 2020, 04:18:32 PM »
Open a consolation/support group with @myi  :) :) :)
what I'm going to do is try with two three family members social security and see if I can get through with theirs.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: July 14, 2020, 04:31:08 PM »
If it's a PUA application (no W2 history) chances are you'll be required to call and give some information about the company you last did work for. You're approved when you can a) certify and b) you've been assigned a benefit rate.
Now with PUA, prerequisites have been waived so pretty much any employment with any $ amount is eligible.
To qualify for regular unemployment you need to have earned at least $2,600 in 2 out of 4 of the last 5 quarters.

Note that you must also have some kind of pay/hour cut to qualify so if you always work an hour a week for $50 you're now eligible for PUA, but you must either be working/earning less or not at all, to qualify. Working the same one hour for $50 does not make you "unemployed"- partially or otherwise.
So to give you a scenerio;
   One who worked last on the books in December 2019 making a few k ,and then once again on the books in May 2020 for  few k.

Would they be qualified for UI for the months when the pandemic hit? Like March April and part of May?

Or would I legally only be able to claim after May 15th let's say when he got paid again for that week/month(meaning he was working on the books again, or rather he got paid on the books.)

Hence my question is there a prerequisite for one to collect unemployment.

I had applied for him for UI and he got paid the benefits from March through July with a week in May when he worked which I didn't file for him (but weird enough they paid him for that week as well.
   I had back claimed it and filled out he worked, so not sure why they gave him for that week).

And even more they didn't take off the taxes which I specifically said to take off 12.5% for New York.
   Didn't want to have to pay back the money for the taxes which wasn't taken off for.

What's your take on this ?
  Thanks @cgr you were really amazing all along. Very helpful.

I appreciate all your time that you spent helping out others. We all appreciate all your help!
   You should be blessed with many more happy and healthy years to be able to help others Amu"sh.

Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: July 14, 2020, 06:32:37 PM »
So to give you a scenerio;
   One who worked last on the books in December 2019 making a few k ,and then once again on the books in May 2020 for  few k.

Would they be qualified for UI for the months when the pandemic hit? Like March April and part of May?
Correct.

Or would I legally only be able to claim after May 15th let's say when he got paid again for that week/month(meaning he was working on the books again, or rather he got paid on the books.)

Hence my question is there a prerequisite for one to collect unemployment.

I had applied for him for UI and he got paid the benefits from March through July with a week in May when he worked which I didn't file for him (but weird enough they paid him for that week as well.
   I had back claimed it and filled out he worked, so not sure why they gave him for that week).
Definitely eligible for all months that he was unemployed in between, although the PUA program only started in 02/02/20 so he's not eligible from December.

You can check that week in your payment history to see if it was processed with 4 effective days- personally I'd call up to make the change and apply the difference to a future week. No point getting into trouble over one week's payment.

And even more they didn't take off the taxes which I specifically said to take off 12.5% for New York.
   Didn't want to have to pay back the money for the taxes which wasn't taken off for.

What's your take on this ?
You can't fix retroactively, but you can a) pay estimated withholding now to both NYS and IRS so you don't have to worry about spending the cash and not having it at year's end, and b) you can correct the issue going forward.

Thanks @cgr you were really amazing all along. Very helpful.

I appreciate all your time that you spent helping out others. We all appreciate all your help!
   You should be blessed with many more happy and healthy years to be able to help others Amu"sh.

Amen!! Thank you for the kind words.

Offline Abebee

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 735
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE
« Reply #2329 on: July 14, 2020, 07:35:38 PM »
Any help is appreciated.

DW got one paycheck back in September 2019 for around $600 and has been out of a job since. She just started working in a day camp June 30th. Does she qualify for either UI or PUA? TIA

Offline 159dallas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
  • Programs: IHG Platinum Premier, Hertz PC, Enterprise EE
« Reply #2330 on: July 14, 2020, 07:52:57 PM »
I missed my time by 15min in NJ any way to get in before friday again?

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: July 14, 2020, 07:58:50 PM »
I missed my time by 15min in NJ any way to get in before friday again?
After anyone you know finishes their certification, you can press "exit" and then you can click again to recertify and you can put in your social and certify. Or if anyone can give you their social and date of birth, you can enter in at their time slot and once you pass that page/paywall you click to recertify and enter your info.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: July 14, 2020, 08:05:29 PM »
Any help is appreciated.

DW got one paycheck back in September 2019 for around $600 and has been out of a job since. She just started working in a day camp June 30th. Does she qualify for either UI or PUA? TIA

She should be eligible for PUA from Feb through June 30th.

Offline Abebee

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 735
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE
« Reply #2333 on: July 14, 2020, 08:50:58 PM »
She should be eligible for PUA from Feb through June 30th.
Can I apply for PUA online?

Offline kishke

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: July 14, 2020, 09:15:38 PM »

My son got this txt on his phone few days after he applied, is this spam?

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: July 14, 2020, 09:35:55 PM »
Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: July 14, 2020, 09:42:42 PM »

My son got this txt on his phone few days after he applied, is this spam?
No it's from the DOL.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: July 14, 2020, 09:43:54 PM »
It goes hand in hand, if you qualify for the UI you'll get the PUI.

So however you're filing for the UI is how you'll get the PUI.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: July 14, 2020, 09:56:35 PM »
It goes hand in hand, if you qualify for the UI you'll get the PUI.

So however you're filing for the UI is how you'll get the PUI.

You're thinking about FPUC.

Here are the definitions again:
Unemployment- unemployment for those with W2 wage history
PUA- pandemic unemployment for those with limited W2 history, self employment income, or a rescinded job offer
FPUC- $600 supplemental payments for those receiving a UI or PUA payment from 03/27-07/31 (dates vary by state)
PEUC- additional 13 weeks after exhausting unemployment
EB- additional weeks after exhausting PEUC. Exact numbers of weeks vary by state.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: July 14, 2020, 09:57:41 PM »

Yes. If you want more detail you'll need to post your location.