Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 482016 times)

Offline Proisrael

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #2520 on: July 23, 2020, 08:56:05 AM »
IF there is anyone who can help me I would be extremely grateful. I was applying for PUA in NJ and got approved back in March/April (I think) Then when I got PPP I stopped applying. Now when those funds have stopped I still cannot get approved and keep getting "This request is not payable" I have tried calling but that has proven to be impossible. I am in a really tight spot and need this money to pay bills.
Does anyone have an idea what to do?

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: July 23, 2020, 09:15:02 AM »
i certified while applying originally.

Hmmm. Certifications that are filed with the application often don't get recorded and need to be redone.
I would go for the Docusign and submit that- just make sure it jibes exactly with what you told the agent.
Note that you can't use it if you need to certify days worked for some weeks. It only works if you worked 0 or 4+ days.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: July 23, 2020, 09:30:59 AM »
Sort of. You are eligible with no employment history if you had a job offer, which is not the same as having employment history so you can technically phrase that either way. I guess they manufacture an offer for you?

So I reached out to a CPA who advertises that he files claims with no employment history. I wanted to hear his take on how this is in line with the rules. My assumption is that as a professional he has something to back this up.
The response was: "since it's a pandemic the government wants to give everyone money, so saying that you were looking for a job is enough".

My experience has not been like this. I've had a few people reach out who filed based on this reason (reached out to me after the fact of course) and had their funds clawed back when an agent reached out requesting proof and they were unable to provide.

I just want to put this out here so that you're aware that professionals out there are taking this approach, but also note that this has not been my experience on the ground (and there is no documentation to back up that this is a qualifying reason, so as far as I know there's nothing to submit if you want to appeal the rejection).

Offline meezewho1122

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: July 23, 2020, 10:32:42 AM »
Does anyone know if a person has medicaid and food stamps with no job, can they still file for unemployment? Will it be effected?

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: July 23, 2020, 10:45:46 AM »
Does anyone know if a person has medicaid and food stamps with no job, can they still file for unemployment? Will it be effected?
UI will count as income toward some programs (IINM SNAP yes, possibly Medicaid as well) and may make them ineligible for other benefits, depending on household size / income limit.

Offline meezewho1122

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: July 23, 2020, 10:49:44 AM »
UI will count as income toward some programs (IINM SNAP yes, possibly Medicaid as well) and may make them ineligible for other benefits, depending on household size / income limit.

Ok thank you

Offline YesThatsMe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: July 23, 2020, 11:02:47 AM »
Has anyone had any success in backdating a NJ claim?

If yes, how?

(When I call the number daily it says they are full and need to call back next day)

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: July 23, 2020, 11:03:07 AM »

Check my signature block, first post first paragraph, for a chart on which programs consider what part of UI/FPUC as income.

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: July 23, 2020, 11:37:27 AM »
Has anyone had any success in backdating a NJ claim?

If yes, how?

(When I call the number daily it says they are full and need to call back next day)

I don't know that calling helps, but that message saying to call back tomorrow is just a busy signal. If you keep redialing, it is possible to get through

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: July 23, 2020, 11:43:51 AM »
https://twitter.com/NJLaborDept/status/1283787905790509057?s=20

A bit concerned about the verbiage of this tweet. Seems to indicate that any certifications not submitted by July 25 will not receive the additional $600, even if it's for a week that is during the FPUC time-frame.

Now this is better.
https://twitter.com/NJLaborDept/status/1284196806126182400?s=19

And finally one that puts me at ease:

https://twitter.com/NJLaborDept/status/1286322744783777793?s=19

Offline ah giten

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: July 23, 2020, 12:10:27 PM »
I had to recertify for Medicaid and the system right away denied me since I'm getting UI.
So yes, it does see it, and it does count.

Offline flatbush guy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: July 23, 2020, 01:17:05 PM »
i'm not sure you are right.
See this  "Q. Will my Unemployment Insurance Benefit (UIB) count as income for purposes of Medicaid eligibility?

Yes and no. Although income received through UIB is typically countable income for purposes of Medicaid budgeting, some eligible individuals who are collecting UIB will receive an additional weekly compensation payment of $600. This is known as the Pandemic Unemployment Compensation, The CARES Act specifically directed states to disregard the additional $600 weekly Pandemic Unemployment benefit when determining eligibility for Medicaid. So, the regular UIB payments received are still counted as income, while the additional $600 weekly Pandemic Unemployment benefit is not counted as income, Guidance can be found here."

taken from here https://empirejustice.org/resources_post/covid-19-faq-nys-medicaid/

If i correctly understand the ADDITIONAL $600 pua is NOT taken into account, although the basic unemployment is.
Double check to make sure

Offline ah giten

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: July 23, 2020, 01:33:06 PM »
i'm not sure you are right.
See this  "Q. Will my Unemployment Insurance Benefit (UIB) count as income for purposes of Medicaid eligibility?

Yes and no. Although income received through UIB is typically countable income for purposes of Medicaid budgeting, some eligible individuals who are collecting UIB will receive an additional weekly compensation payment of $600. This is known as the Pandemic Unemployment Compensation, The CARES Act specifically directed states to disregard the additional $600 weekly Pandemic Unemployment benefit when determining eligibility for Medicaid. So, the regular UIB payments received are still counted as income, while the additional $600 weekly Pandemic Unemployment benefit is not counted as income, Guidance can be found here."

taken from here https://empirejustice.org/resources_post/covid-19-faq-nys-medicaid/

If i correctly understand the ADDITIONAL $600 pua is NOT taken into account, although the basic unemployment is.
Double check to make sure
That is true.
I fell off because of the UI not the FPUA

Offline oldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: July 23, 2020, 03:51:49 PM »

And finally one that puts me at ease:

https://twitter.com/NJLaborDept/status/1286322744783777793?s=19
Is it the same in NY?
In other words even though the claim does not get filed before Jul 25, U can still claim for those weeks?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: July 23, 2020, 04:07:00 PM »
Is it the same in NY?
In other words even though the claim does not get filed before Jul 25, U can still claim for those weeks?
Yes. They're constantly reiterating that backpay will be paid regardless. I do think that eventually they'll have a deadline by when claimants wishing to file for backpay must claim, but knowing the NY DOL we'll get ample notice.

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: July 23, 2020, 04:18:11 PM »
From the LRRC Newsletter:

-If you are waiting for benefits for the time between when you lost your job and when you filed for Unemployment, you need to request those retroactive benefits by speaking to a Department of Labor representative. You can try calling 201-601-4100 or 732-761-2021. Sunday morning may be the shortest wait time. It is difficult to get through to them, but do not worry. The Department of Labor confirmed that all benefits will be retroactive.

-A student who was planning on continuing education and was not searching for a job when COVID-19 hit is not eligible for Unemployment. As a general rule, those who were not working when COVID-19 started are only eligible for Unemployment if they were “scheduled to commence employment” and are “unable to reach the job as a direct result [of the pandemic].” Also, “The individual must have an attachment to the labor market and must have experienced a loss of wages and hours or was unable to start employment following a bona fide job offer.” Please note that the Department of Labor is approving all Pandemic Unemployment applications, and will be going back to review eligibility at a later date.

-For the full LRRC COVID-19 related paid work leaves FAQ document, visit: https://bit.ly/lrrc19ghfaq

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: July 23, 2020, 04:20:27 PM »
-A student who was planning on continuing education and was not searching for a job when COVID-19 hit is not eligible for Unemployment. As a general rule, those who were not working when COVID-19 started are only eligible for Unemployment if they were “scheduled to commence employment” and are “unable to reach the job as a direct result [of the pandemic].” Also, “The individual must have an attachment to the labor market and must have experienced a loss of wages and hours or was unable to start employment following a bona fide job offer.” Please note that the Department of Labor is approving all Pandemic Unemployment applications, and will be going back to review eligibility at a later date.

Thank you!!
Now can we let the whole wide world know that no, you cannot file if you were just thinking of maybe one day looking for a job....

Offline neveryou

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: July 23, 2020, 05:54:50 PM »
Any news on if pua will be extended?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: July 23, 2020, 05:55:43 PM »
Any news on if pua will be extended?
You mean FPUC? Nothing yet.

Offline Another20yrOLD

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: July 23, 2020, 06:01:42 PM »
Thank you!!
Now can we let the whole wide world know that no, you cannot file if you were just thinking of maybe one day looking for a job....
OK so I was told that and signed up...

Ok.. so I'm going to ask for every "student" who did receive the unemployment benefits . What should be done now.

Also what do I do if I applied under self-employed  received all the backpay and now received the letter to provide documentation of earnings and have no earnings history  and can't provide any.  When I signed up I wrote by income : $0

Thank you
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 06:11:02 PM by Another20yrOLD »