Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 471046 times)

Online cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #2640 on: July 28, 2020, 06:03:16 PM »
If someone is self-employed and made only $1k or so on their 2019 tax return, is that enough "income" to file for unemployment and PUA in New York?

If there is other income on the tax return from investments, etc. (i.e. money made not by working a job), does that have any impact (whether positive or negative) on the eligibility for NY UI & PUA?
You can file for PUA with 1k in income.

Investment income definitely doesn't have any negative impact, but I doubt it will have a positive impact because it's not considered income while on unemployment, so it's generally not considered income to substantiate a claim either.

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #2641 on: July 28, 2020, 06:07:08 PM »
You can file for PUA with 1k in income.

It's possible to file for PUA without first filing for regular UI? I though you have to get regular UI first, and then PUA ends up being on top of that automatically...

Sorry for my extreme ignorance... this whole topic is completely out of my wheelhouse. :(

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: July 28, 2020, 06:11:07 PM »
It's possible to file for PUA without first filing for regular UI? I though you have to get regular UI first, and then PUA ends up being on top of that automatically...

Sorry for my extreme ignorance... this whole topic is completely out of my wheelhouse. :(
All claimants apply via the same application, and the DOL puts you on the program you're eligible for based on your wage history.

If you're self employed you're not eligible for regular UI, you are only eligible for PUA. The PUA rate ranges from $182-$504. With 1k in income you'd receive $182 weekly each week that you're eligible.

If you're eligible to backdate your claim, you'll receive the additional $600 FPUC payment for each week from 03/30-07/26 that you receive a PUA payment.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #2643 on: July 28, 2020, 06:17:25 PM »
All claimants apply via the same application, and the DOL puts you on the program you're eligible for based on your wage history.

If you're self employed you're not eligible for regular UI, you are only eligible for PUA. The PUA rate ranges from $182-$504. With 1k in income you'd receive $182 weekly each week that you're eligible.

If you're eligible to backdate your claim, you'll receive the additional $600 FPUC payment for each week from 03/30-07/26 that you receive a PUA payment.

Thank you! Two more questions: what do you mean by "if you're eligible to backdate your claim" - what determines such eligibility? And secondly, why have I been hearing from people who filed with a "job lost" date in March about only needing to certify for ten weeks backward - are you only eligible for 10 weeks of backpay, or do they only require you to certify 10 weeks, but the actual backpay is more than that?

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: July 28, 2020, 06:44:04 PM »
Thank you! Two more questions: what do you mean by "if you're eligible to backdate your claim" - what determines such eligibility? And secondly, why have I been hearing from people who filed with a "job lost" date in March about only needing to certify for ten weeks backward - are you only eligible for 10 weeks of backpay, or do they only require you to certify 10 weeks, but the actual backpay is more than that?
You need to be eligible for unemployment to file a claim, meaning you can't be working more than 3 days and earning more than $504, you're not eligible if you voluntarily quit, you're not eligible if you have no prior employment of any kind, etc.

They need to certify for all weeks to get their funds released. Apparently the Docusign- the automated email to claim for backpay- has only been listing 10 weeks lately. They are eligible for all weeks if they are unemployed/partially unemployment during that time, but the funds will not be released unless certified for. If your Docusign includes 10 weeks only, you'll need to call in to get the remaining weeks released.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: July 28, 2020, 06:45:44 PM »
Thank you for all your time and patience. :)

Online flyingace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: July 28, 2020, 07:16:03 PM »
Thank you for all your time and patience. :)
+100000000000

Online cgr

• View Profile

Offline TBD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: July 29, 2020, 12:01:02 AM »
Hearing from multiple people that if you were advised by filing for UI to reach out to a rep to finalize a claim, you have no chance of reaching a live rep, anyone with workarounds on this?
NY

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: July 29, 2020, 12:07:46 AM »
Hearing from multiple people that if you were advised by filing for UI to reach out to a rep to finalize a claim, you have no chance of reaching a live rep, anyone with workarounds on this?
NY

I don't find that to be the case overall, a good chunk of callers get through easily enough.
If you can't reach someone message them via the message center. Keep on pestering til they either resolve the issue or put you on a callback list.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: July 29, 2020, 12:28:42 AM »

got the docusign.
It only had from the beginning through the end of May.
Will I get another for June and the beginning of July?

I've been seeing this more and more in the last week or so.
Use your message center to reach out and request backpay for the rest. They (probably) won't let you certify over message, but they'll either send you an additional docusign, or put you on a callback list.
I got this message as the response:

I want to request backdating of my claim.

You cannot file a claim for a given week outside the claim window for that week using the online or Tel-Service system. In the above example, you cannot file a claim for the week ending October 25, 2020 after October 31, 2020. If you miss claiming benefits for a week during which you were unemployed, you can request credit for this week by secure message, fax or regular mail. Do not call the Telephone Claims Center* to request back credit for a week.

You may submit a request by secure message at labor.ny.gov/signin. Enter your NY.gov username and password. Click on the envelope icon at the top right corner of the page. This will bring you to your message inbox. Click on the menu button (the square with three lines). Select “Compose New.” Select Subject: “Filing a UI Claim.” Select Second Subject: “I want to request backdating of my claim.”In the body of the message, list the weeks for which you want to request credit.

You can also fax your request to 518-457-9378 or mail it to:

New York State Department of Labor

PO Box 15130

Albany, NY 12212-5130

Be sure to include the beginning and ending dates of the time period for which you did not claim benefits and the reason you did not claim benefits promptly in your request. Also, include the last four digits of your Social Security number on the upper right corner.

We will review your request and decide if you are eligible to receive benefits for that time period.

This review can take two to three weeks unless more information is needed, in which case may take longer. During this time, be sure to continue claiming benefits for all weeks you are unemployed and eligible for benefits. If we write or call you to request more information, please respond promptly so the review is not delayed.

For assistance with an unemployment claim, you can call (888) 209-8124, Monday through Friday, 8 am to 7:30 pm, Saturday and Sunday, 7:30 am to 8:00 pm.

Please note that the telephone claims center cannot help you with issues related to your NY.gov account, such as difficulty logging in, changing your personal information or resetting your password. For NY.gov assistance, please visit http://on.ny.gov/techhelp or call (800) 833-3000.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: July 29, 2020, 09:56:43 AM »
My wife is from Ohio. She is legally a New Yorker now - listed on my NY tax return, etc. - but still has an Ohio driver’s license. The NYS UI filing process asks for a NY driver’s license number, or a box to check that says “I don’t have a driver’s license at all.” Should she just check off that she doesn’t have a license, since she indeed doesn’t have an NYS license? Also, will this fiasco potentially affect her chances of getting approved without having to speak to someone, provide additional paperwork, and/or other headaches?

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: July 29, 2020, 10:54:22 AM »
My wife is from Ohio. She is legally a New Yorker now - listed on my NY tax return, etc. - but still has an Ohio driver’s license. The NYS UI filing process asks for a NY driver’s license number, or a box to check that says “I don’t have a driver’s license at all.” Should she just check off that she doesn’t have a license, since she indeed doesn’t have an NYS license? Also, will this fiasco potentially affect her chances of getting approved without having to speak to someone, provide additional paperwork, and/or other headaches?
Don't check off the box and it shouldn't affect her claim in any way.
A nice chunk of applicants get asked to send in their ID and it's not necessarily weighed towards those without NY ID.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: July 29, 2020, 11:08:38 AM »
Don't check off the box and it shouldn't affect her claim in any way.
A nice chunk of applicants get asked to send in their ID and it's not necessarily weighed towards those without NY ID.

Seems like it’s either or - if you don’t fill in a number, you have to check the box.

If they ask for ID, can she send in a copy of her passport? That’s state-neutral, so would be much better.

Offline yosefsv

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: July 29, 2020, 11:11:13 AM »
Seems like it’s either or - if you don’t fill in a number, you have to check the box.

If they ask for ID, can she send in a copy of her passport? That’s state-neutral, so would be much better.
IME they accepted a passport instead of the state ID
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #2655 on: July 29, 2020, 11:12:05 AM »
IME they accepted a passport instead of the state ID

Excellent, thanks.

Offline greatdeals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: July 29, 2020, 12:21:00 PM »
I bh finally got a callback from NJ dol

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: July 29, 2020, 12:25:04 PM »
**CLAPPING**

Online flyingace

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: July 29, 2020, 01:03:36 PM »
Did you email or you had gotten through to a live person?

Offline greatdeals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: July 29, 2020, 01:30:17 PM »
Did you email or you had gotten through to a live person?
I called a few times and they said I would receive call back finally i got a callback yesterday bh