Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470662 times)

Online cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #3040 on: August 21, 2020, 04:11:40 PM »
https://twitter.com/waltkane/status/1296868798037884928
Is he saying that NJ would chip in the extra $100 if they go for it? Or is he just referring to the outdated policy?

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: August 22, 2020, 09:15:02 PM »

Offline neveryou

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: August 22, 2020, 09:38:19 PM »
Got this on WhatsApp

*YOU CAN STILL FILE FOR UNEMPLOYMENT!*

Att NY Residents

The upgraded federal unemployment benefits won't last.

*Even if you never worked before.*

Let an experienced, professional licensed CPA review eligibility.

Ages 16+

CALL NOW 718-207-4366

OR WHAT'SAPP US
https://wa.me/message/D3MIAUPKI6ATI1

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #3043 on: August 23, 2020, 12:58:10 AM »
In the first few weeks of Docusign, the form did include more than 10 weeks.
Good thing i skimmed through this thread, this was my concern.
  I had filed for x and x weeks and got a backpay docusign for select weeks, while for a month in-between i was missing.
 So i had sent them an email in the SM center and received like what you had mentioned a bounce back email. Will respond to that email and hope i get the form to file for those weeks missing in-between. (You recommend i send all the questions and answers as you posted together with the SM i sent them? wont they send me a form to fill it out?)
   There's another option called online forms, or was it a form they sent you and that's what i'm supposed to fill out?

Also for a sibling of mine who i had filed late and requested for the backpay docusign, there was one week in-between i skipped on purpose as i was back on the payroll for that week.  Now when i finally received the funds for all those prior weeks i had also received the funds for the week i had claimed i had worked 4 or more days.
  Here's a screenshot which you can see exactly what i wrote.  I thought that would deter the payment for that one week.
 Now even though its their mistake i would assume i would have to run after them to tell them to take away that week or ?
 (My mistake is i should have checked yes for all the 4 questions.)

Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: August 23, 2020, 10:16:50 AM »
Good thing i skimmed through this thread, this was my concern.
  I had filed for x and x weeks and got a backpay docusign for select weeks, while for a month in-between i was missing.
 So i had sent them an email in the SM center and received like what you had mentioned a bounce back email. Will respond to that email and hope i get the form to file for those weeks missing in-between. (You recommend i send all the questions and answers as you posted together with the SM i sent them? wont they send me a form to fill it out?)
If you send the questions like I indicated, they process the backpay using that as certification instead of sending you the Docusign.

There's another option called online forms, or was it a form they sent you and that's what i'm supposed to fill out?
You can check if you have a certification form in there but I haven't heard of anyone having one in the last 2-3 months.

Also for a sibling of mine who i had filed late and requested for the backpay docusign, there was one week in-between i skipped on purpose as i was back on the payroll for that week.  Now when i finally received the funds for all those prior weeks i had also received the funds for the week i had claimed i had worked 4 or more days.
  Here's a screenshot which you can see exactly what i wrote.  I thought that would deter the payment for that one week.
 Now even though its their mistake i would assume i would have to run after them to tell them to take away that week or ?
 (My mistake is i should have checked yes for all the 4 questions.)
You shouldn't have checked 'Yes' for all 4 questions unless the answer was actually 'Yes'... Inputting 4 days as worked and/or $504 earned should have been enough not to trigger a payment.

Regarding telling them: since the mistake is their's they won't (or if they do you can definitely fight it) levy a 15% penalty, they'll just take the $ back or apply it against a future week. I guess the choice is yours if you want the $ taken back now or wait til they realize their mistake (if they ever do?) and take it back then. Personally I would send them a Secure Message but not run after it- that way you've done your duty and informed them, but if it takes them weeks (or never) to go through those well...

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #3045 on: August 23, 2020, 02:25:10 PM »
If you send the questions like I indicated, they process the backpay using that as certification instead of sending you the Docusign.
You can check if you have a certification form in there but I haven't heard of anyone having one in the last 2-3 months.

You shouldn't have checked 'Yes' for all 4 questions unless the answer was actually 'Yes'... Inputting 4 days as worked and/or $504 earned should have been enough not to trigger a payment.

Regarding telling them: since the mistake is their's they won't (or if they do you can definitely fight it) levy a 15% penalty, they'll just take the $ back or apply it against a future week. I guess the choice is yours if you want the $ taken back now or wait til they realize their mistake (if they ever do?) and take it back then. Personally I would send them a Secure Message but not run after it- that way you've done your duty and informed them, but if it takes them weeks (or never) to go through those well...
Thanks, will take care of that ASAP and do as you suggest.

Will notify them about the over payment and will certify for those few weeks.

Have you heard of those who sent in a letter or fax and was certified any faster?

Thanks @crg You've really been a huge help throughout all this.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: August 23, 2020, 02:34:41 PM »

Have you heard of those who sent in a letter or fax and was certified any faster?

Thanks @crg You've really been a huge help throughout all this.

From what I've seen message center is fastest, then fax. Don't know anyone who actually mailed a letter in.
For some reason the phone call route sometimes results in some weeks not being recorded, and also sometimes in delayed payments (2-3 weeks).
I'd still say that none of the options are a sure thing though.

Glad to be of help :)

Offline elazarmn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: August 23, 2020, 02:41:23 PM »
@cgr is the email/message center open on sunday?
Meaning can i send them an email today during non business hours or should i wait

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: August 23, 2020, 03:05:30 PM »
@cgr is the email/message center open on sunday?
Meaning can i send them an email today during non business hours or should i wait

It's open in the sense that you can access it, but the DOL service center is closed so no one will see it til tomorrow (and it might possibly push it to the back of the pile if you send a message when there's no one to respond.)

Offline elazarmn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: August 23, 2020, 08:45:49 PM »
It's open in the sense that you can access it, but the DOL service center is closed so no one will see it til tomorrow (and it might possibly push it to the back of the pile if you send a message when there's no one to respond.)
oy we would never want to do such a thing!

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: August 23, 2020, 09:30:56 PM »

Offline yosefsv

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: August 23, 2020, 09:41:36 PM »
In FEMA's latest updated guidelines it states:

"States may instead provide claimants the lost wages supplement of $300 paid entirely from the $300 federal contribution and satisfy the match, with no additional state payout, by leveraging existing state funding used to pay regular state unemployment benefits. In this case, the state must demonstrate at the aggregate level that the total of its state-funded unemployment benefits to claimants receiving the lost wages supplement were at least 25 percent of the total lost wages assistance benefits paid in conjunction with all of the unemployment programs listed above."
https://www.fema.gov/disasters/coronavirus/governments/supplemental-payments-lost-wages-guidelines#eligibility

Does this mean that that someone who receives less then $100 will not be eligible?
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline yosefsv

• View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: August 23, 2020, 09:45:20 PM »
In FEMA's latest updated guidelines it states:

"States may instead provide claimants the lost wages supplement of $300 paid entirely from the $300 federal contribution and satisfy the match, with no additional state payout, by leveraging existing state funding used to pay regular state unemployment benefits. In this case, the state must demonstrate at the aggregate level that the total of its state-funded unemployment benefits to claimants receiving the lost wages supplement were at least 25 percent of the total lost wages assistance benefits paid in conjunction with all of the unemployment programs listed above."
https://www.fema.gov/disasters/coronavirus/governments/supplemental-payments-lost-wages-guidelines#eligibility

Does this mean that that someone who receives less then $100 will not be eligible?

Q: Is the calculation for the state’s, territory’s or the District of Columbia’s 25% cost share match calculated at the aggregate level or the individual level?
A: The requirement is to meet the state’s, territory’s or the District of Columbia’s 25% cost share match at an aggregate level.
https://www.fema.gov/sites/default/files/2020-08/fema_supplement-lost-wages-payments-under-other-needs-assistance_faq.pdf

So it looks like that everyone who is eligible for $100, even if they do not get the $100 on an individual level, will receive the $300, as long as the state total cost share is 25%

@cgr do you already agree?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 09:49:08 PM by yosefsv »

Offline yosefsv

• View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: August 23, 2020, 10:00:59 PM »
So here are my thoughts:
An individual is determined to have received at least $100 per week for purposes of being an “eligible claimant” if the individual’s WBA as provided on the monetary determination is at least $100 (including any dependents’ allowance). In addition, the week in question must be considered compensable.
This seems pretty clear that as long as your Monetary Determination is above $100 (that's everyone in NY and NJ excluding some EB claimants) and you're receiving some payment that week, you'll get the $300 supplement.

Now, here's how FEMA (the one actually administering the funds and helping states with guidelines) phrased it:
https://www.fema.gov/disasters/coronavirus/supplemental-payments-lost-wages
Eligible individuals are: Recipients of at least $100 per week of any of the following benefits for the week they are seeking unemployment benefits

The law is probably like the DOL states, or else there wouldn't be such clear guidelines on it, but I can see confusion about it at the state level which might cause delayed payments for such individuals until it's hashed out.

Would love to hear more opinions.
FEMA itself has now the same wording as the DOL in their updated FAQ
https://www.fema.gov/sites/default/files/2020-08/fema_supplement-lost-wages-payments-under-other-needs-assistance_faq.pdf

Q: How does a state, territory or the District of Columbia determine if an individual meets the eligibility requirement under the August 8 Presidential Memorandum that he or she must receive at least $100 in benefits for the underlying unemployment benefit program?
A: This eligibility provision is determined at the individual level based on the individual’s weekly benefit amount. An individual is determined to have received at least $100 per week for purposes of being an “eligible claimant” if the individual’s WBA as provided on the monetary determination is at least $100 (including any dependents’ allowance). In addition, the week in question must be considered compensable.

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: August 23, 2020, 10:03:52 PM »
FEMA itself has now the same wording as the DOL in their updated FAQ

Q: How does a state, territory or the District of Columbia determine if an individual meets the eligibility requirement under the August 8 Presidential Memorandum that he or she must receive at least $100 in benefits for the underlying unemployment benefit program?
A: This eligibility provision is determined at the individual level based on the individual’s weekly benefit amount. An individual is determined to have received at least $100 per week for purposes of being an “eligible claimant” if the individual’s WBA as provided on the monetary determination is at least $100 (including any dependents’ allowance). In addition, the week in question must be considered compensable.

Awesome.
That means everyone in NY and NJ (assuming NJ applies) who's not on EB (last 7 weeks of EB), and can certify that they're unemployed for a Covid-related reason will get the supplement.

Offline shulemw

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: August 23, 2020, 10:42:34 PM »
this wording that the state can use the $300 to pay the base payment makes me think that a person that gets now $500 weekly UI without amy federal money will not get anything more as the state can use the $300 for the regular pay.
am i correct?

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: August 23, 2020, 10:46:51 PM »
this wording that the state can use the $300 to pay the base payment makes me think that a person that gets now $500 weekly UI without amy federal money will not get anything more as the state can use the $300 for the regular pay.
am i correct?
The $300 can't be used for the base payment- only the $100 can (which is why it's reduced from $400 to $300).

Offline ~King Lake~

• View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: August 24, 2020, 07:58:15 AM »
NYS
I'm trying to file for unemployment for a job I was offered and didn't get it due to covid, do I file it at the same place as someone who was laid off?
As in when they ask me what was the last day you worked, what should I answer? etc.
I’m in shape, round is a shape…

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: August 24, 2020, 10:34:48 AM »
NYS
I'm trying to file for unemployment for a job I was offered and didn't get it due to covid, do I file it at the same place as someone who was laid off?
As in when they ask me what was the last day you worked, what should I answer? etc.
You file at https://unemployment.labor.ny.gov/
There's a specific question were you scheduled to begin employment but could not start as a direct result of covid-19?
Then the next question is when were you scheduled to start?
The application questions have changed a few times so not sure where it's now but if they still ask for 'last date worked' in conjunction with the above, then if you haven't worked since before your offer put in the offer date here again, if you are currently working PT then just put in the last day you worked (could even be today).

Offline ~King Lake~

• View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: August 24, 2020, 01:04:23 PM »
You file at https://unemployment.labor.ny.gov/
There's a specific question were you scheduled to begin employment but could not start as a direct result of covid-19?
Then the next question is when were you scheduled to start?
The application questions have changed a few times so not sure where it's now but if they still ask for 'last date worked' in conjunction with the above, then if you haven't worked since before your offer put in the offer date here again, if you are currently working PT then just put in the last day you worked (could even be today).
Thanks a mil
I’m in shape, round is a shape…