Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 478010 times)

Offline tov hashem

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #3140 on: September 05, 2020, 11:52:04 PM »
How do I change from UI TO PUA?

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #3141 on: September 06, 2020, 01:26:47 AM »
I would assume you want to do that being that you're receiving less than what you would receiving from pui?

Any truth to this?

Askunim and community leaders are aware; that a of couple people in Kiryas Joel and Williamsburg got picked up by the FBI/ law enforcement during last week for filing unemployment benefits by falsifying and providing false employment information. (Family members are trying to avoid the names of leaking to the public).

Community leaders who have reached out to the Department of Labor said, that due to the huge amount of caseloads the Labor Department's employees were instructed in the beginning of Covid-19 epidemic that they should first process all applications and to postpone the employer's verification process. And now the Department of Labor have started the process to verify prior employment history.

Be very careful what you do . . . .
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: September 06, 2020, 10:35:44 AM »
You can't really. The best you can do is inform the DOL that you're claiming for a PUA reason.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: September 06, 2020, 10:37:35 AM »
Any truth to this?

Askunim and community leaders are aware; that a of couple people in Kiryas Joel and Williamsburg got picked up by the FBI/ law enforcement during last week for filing unemployment benefits by falsifying and providing false employment information. (Family members are trying to avoid the names of leaking to the public).

Community leaders who have reached out to the Department of Labor said, that due to the huge amount of caseloads the Labor Department's employees were instructed in the beginning of Covid-19 epidemic that they should first process all applications and to postpone the employer's verification process. And now the Department of Labor have started the process to verify prior employment history.

Be very careful what you do . . . .
You'd know if it was. It's appalling that people send stuff like this around when there's no truth to it but in this case it could serve as a good wake up call to those who have been claiming fraudulently.

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: September 06, 2020, 11:00:41 AM »
I filed for PUA as self employed. I have been certifying every week, even when I would not receive benefits (worked or declined work 4+ days that week).

Now my original work is back up to my original workload, but some weeks I may only have 2-3 days of work (had weeks like this before covid too). Can I continue certifying every week and get pay (especially the "bonus") for those weeks with 2-3 days, or do I have to say I "returned to work"?
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #3145 on: September 06, 2020, 11:06:40 AM »
I filed for PUA as self employed. I have been certifying every week, even when I would not receive benefits (worked or declined work 4+ days that week).

Now my original work is back up to my original workload, but some weeks I may only have 2-3 days of work (had weeks like this before covid too). Can I continue certifying every week and get pay (especially the "bonus") for those weeks with 2-3 days, or do I have to say I "returned to work"?
Don't see why you can't say you worked two-three days?  you're being honest with one or two days which you did not work.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: September 06, 2020, 11:09:14 AM »

In NJ you need a 20% reduction in hours and earnings below your PWBR to claim.

In NY while per the certification questions you can claim as long as you don't work 4+ days or earn $504+, if you take a deeper dive into actual case rulings there is a 10% threshold that the Board considers a significant loss of income and therefore the tipping point where one can claim UI (or if one earns below their WBR). You will not find this anywhere unless you actually read through the legal case rulings.

That being said it would be hard to nail down either one of those things (average hours worked or average weekly earnings) on a weekly basis for an SE who has no set hours/wage.

Online flyingace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: September 06, 2020, 12:19:16 PM »

NJ. Should someone on PUA certify and answer that there is no Covid reason or is it ok just to not certify at all?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: September 06, 2020, 01:32:43 PM »
Anyone familiar with parsonage and UI in NY?
I know that if it's recorded it is counted both as loss of income and as income when certifying. I'm trying to help someone whose parsonage isn't recorded anywhere- I have no idea what that means legally/taxwise (or if it even is legal).

The individual had a loss of SE income but retained his (unrecorded) parsonage income which is above $504/week. Trying to figure out if it counts as income or not for certification purposes.

Offline yosefsv

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: September 08, 2020, 02:01:58 PM »
https://gop-waysandmeans.house.gov/unemployment-benefits-update-41-states-approved-for-femas-lost-wages-assistance-program/

The first 3 weeks is already over 19 Billion (with not all states already awarded).
So at this rate it won't be enough money for more than 6 weeks.
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline m65

• View Profile
« Reply #3150 on: September 08, 2020, 02:38:10 PM »
I know that if it's recorded it is counted both as loss of income and as income when certifying. I'm trying to help someone whose parsonage isn't recorded anywhere- I have no idea what that means legally/taxwise (or if it even is legal).

The individual had a loss of SE income but retained his (unrecorded) parsonage income which is above $504/week. Trying to figure out if it counts as income or not for certification purposes.
u r gonna have a hard time finding someone who is familiar with something that u r not familiar with...

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: September 08, 2020, 03:52:19 PM »

No. But in general rules for parsonage can sometimes depend on whether the parsonage check is made out to the individual receiving it or as a direct payment for something else. For example, I was told in regard to eligibility for the lunch program in NJ that parsonage made out to you is considered income but made out to your mortgage lender is not. There is always more legal room to not consider it income if it is not paid to your own name. Not sure if that helps...

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: September 08, 2020, 04:02:44 PM »
u r gonna have a hard time finding someone who is familiar with something that u r not familiar with...
:(

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: September 08, 2020, 04:03:42 PM »
No. But in general rules for parsonage can sometimes depend on whether the parsonage check is made out to the individual receiving it or as a direct payment for something else. For example, I was told in regard to eligibility for the lunch program in NJ that parsonage made out to you is considered income but made out to your mortgage lender is not. There is always more legal room to not consider it income if it is not paid to your own name. Not sure if that helps...

Thanks! He ended up talking to his accountant who ruled that it's not income for UI purposes so he's going with that.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: September 10, 2020, 05:07:41 PM »
NY announced their plan for LWA funds distribution.
Detailed article in my signature block.

Offline flatbush guy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: September 10, 2020, 05:33:57 PM »
Thx much

Offline cozmohoot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: September 11, 2020, 07:49:53 AM »
Any way to reach a tier 3 rep in NY?
Called and got tier 1 and 2 fast but then the wait for tier 3 was 2 hours. Chose option to be called back but they never called.

Perain is trying to get a back pay for 1 week in march. Everything else was fine.
This user got the email to certify for lwa.
This just confirms that the reason they didnt get the 1st week of pay was because accidentally they didnt have covid19 as the reason for layoff.

They tried a few times getting that 1st week but kept hitting roadblocks.

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #3157 on: September 11, 2020, 07:59:51 AM »
This user got the email to certify for lwa.
This just confirms that the reason they didnt get the 1st week of pay was because accidentally they didnt have covid19 as the reason for layoff.

They tried a few times getting that 1st week but kept hitting roadblocks.
The old form (prior to pesach) asked if your workplace was closed due to covid. For some the answer was no, but they still got laid off due to covid. The newer form asked if they lost employment due to covid.

Incidentally I wonder if that's my problem. Is there any way to fix that without reaching tier3?
(NY)
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Online YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: September 11, 2020, 08:11:48 AM »
Reporting back again. (NJ)

I just got a letter from the appeal tribunal that they received my appeal and they will review it. They wrote the I should keep certifying, and that I should let them know of any address changes, as they don't get updated by the general system. They also left a fax number to let them know if I plan to have a lawyer represent me.
Update:

I got a letter that I have a phone appointment with the appeal tribunal (which is one person who is assigned to my case) this coming Tuesday. I can submit evidence before, call on witnesses, etc.

Anyone have experience with this? Just want to know what to expect...

(Again, my goal here is for them to raise my Weekly Benefit Rate to reflect actual income, not the NJ standard of $231 for self-employed and partially self-employed workers.)

Offline 159dallas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
  • Programs: IHG Platinum Premier, Hertz PC, Enterprise EE
« Reply #3159 on: September 12, 2020, 09:01:23 PM »
Did anyone get a callback in NJ from 8668125907 ?
Real number or scam? The guy sounded straight out of India.

Ok an update on this situation... So no update from NJDOL but... I got a hard credit inquiry from TDBank/Target on my equifax report so now I dont know what to believe...