Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470624 times)

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #3180 on: September 14, 2020, 09:38:26 AM »
Anyone here exhausted their PUA/UI benefits and then had there Effective Days Remaining replenished?
Looking for screenshots post replenishment (all identifying info removed of course) for an article in collaboration with http://homeunemployed.com/.

Article now available:
http://homeunemployed.com/effective-days-down-to-zero-dont-worry/

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: September 14, 2020, 05:11:14 PM »
NJ

1-What are all the methods to request backpay from the time you applied back to when you stopped working? Which is the preferred method.

2- For a self employed person that received the standard $231 when it should've been higher, what are all the ways you can go about requesting it to be changed to the higher amount? What is the best option to go with?

Thanks

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: September 14, 2020, 06:11:35 PM »
NJ

1-What are all the methods to request backpay from the time you applied back to when you stopped working? Which is the preferred method.

2- For a self employed person that received the standard $231 when it should've been higher, what are all the ways you can go about requesting it to be changed to the higher amount? What is the best option to go with?

Thanks

You just summed up all the problems in the NJDOL
If anyone got anywhere with these, please do tell.

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: September 15, 2020, 10:23:33 AM »
I don't know of anyone who has received it.

How is this not becoming front line news?
Are there any other states that have simply refused to release backpay on elligible claims?
Has NJ released any statement explaining why 6 months later and we still have not received the backpay??
Why is everyone just accepting this like it's okay??

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: September 15, 2020, 10:39:04 AM »
Update:

I got a letter that I have a phone appointment with the appeal tribunal (which is one person who is assigned to my case) this coming Tuesday. I can submit evidence before, call on witnesses, etc.

Anyone have experience with this? Just want to know what to expect...

(Again, my goal here is for them to raise my Weekly Benefit Rate to reflect actual income, not the NJ standard of $231 for self-employed and partially self-employed workers.)
Update (NJ)

Just had a telephone hearing with the appeal tribunal.

She told me that she doesn't have jurisdiction to change my WBR, though it might be adjusted when I file taxes for this year. When I said, "so you're telling me that I might get money retroactively in 2021 when I no longer need it," she said that she'll send an email for me requesting a callback for a monetary review. (Which is what I was supposed to get months ago... but crickets.)

Basically, when the UI phone rep told me that the only way to get change to WBR is to file an appeal, they were bluffing.

Now people, cheer me up.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: September 15, 2020, 11:00:47 AM »
Update (NJ)
Now people, cheer me up.
FWIW can I lend you $100?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: September 15, 2020, 11:55:29 AM »
Update (NJ)

She told me that she doesn't have jurisdiction to change my WBR, though it might be adjusted when I file taxes for this year. When I said, "so you're telling me that I might get money retroactively in 2021 when I no longer need it," she said that she'll send an email for me requesting a callback for a monetary review. (Which is what I was supposed to get months ago... but crickets.)

Basically, when the UI phone rep told me that the only way to get change to WBR is to file an appeal, they were bluffing.

Now people, cheer me up.

That would make me want to bang my head against the wall...
Maybe it's time to go the press route?

Offline ae123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: September 15, 2020, 02:50:09 PM »
Maybe it's time to go the press route?
Count me in!

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: September 16, 2020, 01:46:13 PM »

Offline nucheiner

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: September 16, 2020, 02:04:48 PM »
A friend confirmed that Michigan is already giving out the $300 bonus. When can we expect the same for NY and NJ?

Online nafnaf12

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: September 16, 2020, 02:09:42 PM »
A friend confirmed that Michigan is already giving out the $300 bonus. When can we expect the same for NY and NJ?
same for massachusetts
6 weeks worth!
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: September 16, 2020, 02:11:57 PM »
I post regular updates on Whatsapp/Twitter and on my site.
NY: 09/18/20 for those pre-qualified or for claimants who certified that they qualify
NJ: still working on a certification system- no date yet

Offline elazarmn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: September 16, 2020, 03:14:14 PM »
I remember this question asked previously, don't remember the answer.
How can i claim benefits for The week of 8/30-9/6 if i missed the certifying?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: September 16, 2020, 03:23:33 PM »
I remember this question asked previously, don't remember the answer.
How can i claim benefits for The week of 8/30-9/6 if i missed the certifying?

NY?
http://homeunemployed.com/guide-how-to-get-missing-unemployment-payments/

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: September 16, 2020, 06:51:11 PM »
Update (NJ)

Now people, cheer me up.
Update, and hopefully a glimmer of light:

This morning, out of frustration, I called Governor Murphy's office (609.292.6000). Someone answered immediately (unlike last time I tried, months ago), and I explained my plight. She said that she cannot connect me with an UI agent, but will pass on the message to get me a monetary review.

Two hours later, I got an email with a link to a webpage where I was able to fill out my previous employment info and upload documentation. (This may have been the result of the email from the appeal tribunal, but I think it's more likely that it was due to the intervention of the gov's office.)

I filled it out and submitted it, and it said I'll have a response within 4 weeks.

Now I wait.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3195 on: September 16, 2020, 07:16:47 PM »
Update, and hopefully a glimmer of light:

Bh great to hear!
Was the link specific to your account or generic?

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: September 16, 2020, 07:26:50 PM »
Bh great to hear!
Was the link specific to your account or generic?
Specific, sorry.

It came from the e-Adjudication address.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: September 16, 2020, 07:45:58 PM »
Specific, sorry.

Still happy for you :)

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: September 17, 2020, 08:59:28 AM »
I post regular updates on Whatsapp/Twitter and on my site.
NY: 09/18/20 for those pre-qualified or for claimants who certified that they qualify
NJ: still working on a certification system- no date yet
$300 x3 is showing as released (/pending (to post to bank tomorrow) ) in UI NY account :)

Offline yosefsv

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: September 17, 2020, 01:23:55 PM »
Q. HOW MANY PAYMENTS DO WE GET AFTER THE INITIAL THREE?
A. The NYS DOL has applied for the additional 3 weeks of Lost Wages Assistance (LWA) allowed by the federal government. We are waiting for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to give final approval for the funding.

https://labor.ny.gov/ui/pdfs/lwa-factsheet.pdf
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.