Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 477388 times)

Offline happinessNsunshine

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #3260 on: September 29, 2020, 02:26:05 PM »
I was helping my friend apply for Partial unemployment for his wife for a job scheduled to start. after getting approved and I saw the benefit rate I saw the amount doesn't match up with the amount he said she makes monthly. The story is she's on Payroll in in her father business and making much more than the $504 per week (It's in NY) by the time we figured it out all the $ was on her debit card. What does she have to do to give them back the $? Call? online?
The maximum weekly benefit in ny is $504

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: September 29, 2020, 02:56:28 PM »
The maximum weekly benefit in ny is $504

If I understood correctly the OP is saying that she certified for a week where she earned above the $504 limit.

Offline oldguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: September 29, 2020, 08:20:36 PM »
If I understood correctly the OP is saying that she certified for a week where she earned above the $504 limit.
Correct, The way we found that out was that $504 was her benefit rate when the amount she thought she's making on her name was less than $1000 a month. (That's what happens with rich parents that put you on payroll...)

Offline bingit

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: October 01, 2020, 01:36:02 PM »
Hi. Was wondering if someone can help me, I was unemployed from my job from March- August & was receiving unemployment weekly, starting August my work reopened so I stopped filing for unemployment. Now unfortunately due to uptick in Covid-19 my work closed up again...how to I start receiving unemployment again? I went onto Nj site to certify but it's asking me questions regarding weeks in August! How do I skip weeks in order to certify for last week which was my first full week of unemployment? Thanks for your help!

Online beeweegee

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: October 05, 2020, 12:02:58 AM »
Just got an e-Adjudication email with the subject line "New Jersey Unemployment - Wage Information Request." They are asking me to fill out a form and provide wage information and the form indicates that it would poetntially serve as a way to increase a PUA weekly benefit rate.

Is this something new? Or something people have gotten before that hasn't helped...

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #3265 on: October 05, 2020, 01:20:29 AM »
Just got an e-Adjudication email with the subject line "New Jersey Unemployment - Wage Information Request." They are asking me to fill out a form and provide wage information and the form indicates that it would poetntially serve as a way to increase a PUA weekly benefit rate.

Is this something new? Or something people have gotten before that hasn't helped...
Also just got it.  Fingers crossed for a after sukkos bonus

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: October 05, 2020, 07:59:45 AM »
Hi. Was wondering if someone can help me, I was unemployed from my job from March- August & was receiving unemployment weekly, starting August my work reopened so I stopped filing for unemployment. Now unfortunately due to uptick in Covid-19 my work closed up again...how to I start receiving unemployment again? I went onto Nj site to certify but it's asking me questions regarding weeks in August! How do I skip weeks in order to certify for last week which was my first full week of unemployment? Thanks for your help!

You need to log into your account an reopen your claim. Personally I would first claim benefits for all those weeks you worked and fill in that you made too much. It will give you $0, but it will enable you to skip those weeks. Otherwise, even after you reopen the claim it can take time for the computer to register that it should skip those weeks for you. I did it for one person and it happened automatically the next week, I did it for another person and it never happened at all.

Offline elazarmn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: October 05, 2020, 11:13:00 AM »
How do i keep track of my work search?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: October 05, 2020, 11:33:28 AM »
How do i keep track of my work search?

State?
The NY DOL has a form you can use to track.

Offline elazarmn

• View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: October 05, 2020, 11:34:44 AM »
State?
The NY DOL has a form you can use to track.
Thanks let me try to find that.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3270 on: October 05, 2020, 11:39:10 AM »
Thanks let me try to find that.

https://labor.ny.gov/formsdocs/ui/WS5.pdf

There's also an online version called "Job Zone" when logging into your account.

Offline elazarmn

• View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: October 05, 2020, 11:42:33 AM »
https://labor.ny.gov/formsdocs/ui/WS5.pdf

There's also an online version called "Job Zone" when logging into your account.
Oh wow this is exactly what i was looking for.

Whats the likelihood of them asking for this info?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: October 05, 2020, 03:24:05 PM »
Oh wow this is exactly what i was looking for.

Whats the likelihood of them asking for this info?

Higher for UI claimants than PUA SE claimants (who are exempt from work-search) but so far they've been busy with covid-related issues and they haven't really been on top of it.

Offline elazarmn

• View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: October 05, 2020, 05:03:25 PM »
Higher for UI claimants than PUA SE claimants (who are exempt from work-search) but so far they've been busy with covid-related issues and they haven't really been on top of it.

Wait if im getting PUA than im exempt from work search?
How do i check what my status is

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: October 05, 2020, 05:07:08 PM »

Wait if im getting PUA than im exempt from work search?
How do i check what my status is

It depends but if you're waiting to be called back to work/for business to pick up again you are. Depends on the PUA reason.

https://labor.ny.gov/ui/claimantinfo/work-search.shtm

Offline elazarmn

• View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: October 05, 2020, 05:12:50 PM »
Right. I guess that was in the initial sign up info.
Although i don’t remember them asking weather i am waiting for my employer to open up again!?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: October 05, 2020, 05:24:16 PM »
Right. I guess that was in the initial sign up info.
Although i don’t remember them asking weather i am waiting for my employer to open up again!?
It's not part of the initial application. If they reach out and ask for your work-search documentation you reply with the exemption reason if applicable.

Online YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: October 06, 2020, 01:29:33 AM »

I got that recently, after calling a bunch of government agencies. Filled it out, and they adjusted my WBR within a week or so. They made a mistake, though, and I'm trying to get it even higher, but that form does work.

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #3278 on: October 06, 2020, 02:00:46 AM »
I got that recently, after calling a bunch of government agencies. Filled it out, and they adjusted my WBR within a week or so. They made a mistake, though, and I'm trying to get it even higher, but that form does work.
You got back pay for all the previous paid weeks?
#TYH

Offline pomy100

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: October 06, 2020, 11:23:42 AM »
Anyone in Jersey get the extra 300 yet