Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 478917 times)

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #3580 on: December 27, 2020, 07:21:37 AM »
Has anyone in nj that is self employed been able to get their payback yet for all the months of minimum payments being raised to correct pay amounts? If yes how?
I filed an appeal and contacted Chris Smith's office, and then the governor's office. I'm not sure what did it, but eventually I got an email with a link where I was able to update my employment information and to upload supporting documentation. A short time later, I got a notice in the mail informing me that my WBR had been increased, though it still was far lower than I think it should be (and still under the threshold for me to receive benefits, as I have another source of income that put me over the low WBR). I filed a second appeal (months ago), which I have yet to get a response to. When the WBR increased, I became entitled to additional funds for a single week when I had received an unemployment payout, but they never put those extra funds in my account. I called them twice, and they acknowledged that I should have received that money, but all they did was tell me that someone will get back to my within four weeks. It's about two months already.

Yeah, welcome to New Jersey.

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: December 27, 2020, 11:49:34 AM »
IF the new relief package  which includes pandemic aid does not get signed by  Trump, what are the ramifications for those on pandemic unemployment?
CGR , could you elaborate, if it's no too time consuming ?
Thanks in advance

Assuming the bill doesn't get signed, these are the ramifications for NY and NJ claimants:

UI- if you're on regular unemployment and still within your 26 base weeks- no change
PEUC- if you're on regular unemployment and were collecting PEUC (13 weeks of extra unemployment after the base 26 weeks are claimed) you'll lose PEUC and be transferred to EB
EB- if you've finished claiming UI and PEUC, or were kicked of PEUC due to expiration of the program on 12/26 (NJ) and 12/27 (NY), you're now collecting EB. EB is currently 20 weeks in NY and NJ, but this program is based on a state's UI rate so a state could lose EB eligibility at any time.

PUA- if you were collecting PUA as of the week ending in 12/26 (NJ) or 12/27 (NY), you are no longer entitled to any benefits for benefit weeks going forward.

LWA- no LWA payments are permitted past 12/31/20, so if you did not yet certify or receive payment through the week ending in 9/5 (NJ) or 9/6 (NY), you will not receive LWA. The $600 FPUC and backdated PUA claims are currently at the state's discretion until the bill passes- once the bill passes new rules kick in (see below).

If the bill does pass:
PEUC- additional 11 weeks for a total of 24 PEUC weeks. The additional 11 weeks cannot be claimed prior to the signing of the bill, so if you exhaust UI+13 weeks of PEUC+EB before the passing of the bill, you cannot use the PEUC add-on to fill in unclaimed weeks and claim backpay for weeks prior to the bill's passage.
PUA- additional 11 weeks for a total of 50 PUA weeks. The additional 11 weeks cannot be claimed prior to the signing of the bill, so if you exhaust 39 weeks (46 weeks in NY and NJ) of PUA before the passing of the bill, you cannot use the PUA add-on to fill in unclaimed weeks and claim backpay for weeks prior to the bill's passage. It's unclear how the 50 weeks will work with state's experiencing a High Unemployment Period (HUP) like NY and NJ, where PUA is currently 46 weeks. Perhaps it'll be 57 weeks of PUA, perhaps not.
Note: New PUA claimants filing an application after the bill's enactment will be permitted to backdate their claim to December 1, 2020, but not to a date earlier than that.

For both PEUC and PUA- officially the 11 additional weeks are for 12/26-03/14 BUT states cannot allow claimants to claim these extra 11 weeks prior to the bill signing, so most experts are of the opinion that when Trump failed to signed the bill last night, he botched a week of benefits for those currently on these 2 programs.

Claimants who still have unclaimed PUA or PEUC weeks as of 03/14 will be permitted to continue claiming weeks up until they deplete available weeks or until 04/05, whichever comes first.

FPUC- 11 weeks of $300 supplemental payments (same rules as the $600). Again, same as with PEUC and PUA, this program was scheduled to run from 12/26-03/14 with no payments possible prior to bill enactment, which again might mean that this was now downgraded to 10 weeks due to Trump's refusal to sign. This program does not extend to 04/05 for "unclaimed weeks"- 03/14 is a hard stop for this program.

Offline flatbush guy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: December 27, 2020, 12:13:19 PM »
Thank you very much, CGR.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: December 27, 2020, 01:12:38 PM »
Assuming the bill doesn't get signed, these are the ramifications for NY and NJ claimants:

UI- if you're on regular unemployment and still within your 26 base weeks- no change
PEUC- if you're on regular unemployment and were collecting PEUC (13 weeks of extra unemployment after the base 26 weeks are claimed) you'll lose PEUC and be transferred to EB
EB- if you've finished claiming UI and PEUC, or were kicked of PEUC due to expiration of the program on 12/26 (NJ) and 12/27 (NY), you're now collecting EB. EB is currently 20 weeks in NY and NJ, but this program is based on a state's UI rate so a state could lose EB eligibility at any time.

PUA- if you were collecting PUA as of the week ending in 12/26 (NJ) or 12/27 (NY), you are no longer entitled to any benefits for benefit weeks going forward.

LWA- no LWA payments are permitted past 12/31/20, so if you did not yet certify or receive payment through the week ending in 9/5 (NJ) or 9/6 (NY), you will not receive LWA. The $600 FPUC and backdated PUA claims are currently at the state's discretion until the bill passes- once the bill passes new rules kick in (see below).

If the bill does pass:
PEUC- additional 11 weeks for a total of 24 PEUC weeks. The additional 11 weeks cannot be claimed prior to the signing of the bill, so if you exhaust UI+13 weeks of PEUC+EB before the passing of the bill, you cannot use the PEUC add-on to fill in unclaimed weeks and claim backpay for weeks prior to the bill's passage.
PUA- additional 11 weeks for a total of 50 PUA weeks. The additional 11 weeks cannot be claimed prior to the signing of the bill, so if you exhaust 39 weeks (46 weeks in NY and NJ) of PUA before the passing of the bill, you cannot use the PUA add-on to fill in unclaimed weeks and claim backpay for weeks prior to the bill's passage. It's unclear how the 50 weeks will work with state's experiencing a High Unemployment Period (HUP) like NY and NJ, where PUA is currently 46 weeks. Perhaps it'll be 57 weeks of PUA, perhaps not.
Note: New PUA claimants filing an application after the bill's enactment will be permitted to backdate their claim to December 1, 2020, but not to a date earlier than that.

For both PEUC and PUA- officially the 11 additional weeks are for 12/26-03/14 BUT states cannot allow claimants to claim these extra 11 weeks prior to the bill signing, so most experts are of the opinion that when Trump failed to signed the bill last night, he botched a week of benefits for those currently on these 2 programs.

Claimants who still have unclaimed PUA or PEUC weeks as of 03/14 will be permitted to continue claiming weeks up until they deplete available weeks or until 04/05, whichever comes first.

FPUC- 11 weeks of $300 supplemental payments (same rules as the $600). Again, same as with PEUC and PUA, this program was scheduled to run from 12/26-03/14 with no payments possible prior to bill enactment, which again might mean that this was now downgraded to 10 weeks due to Trump's refusal to sign. This program does not extend to 04/05 for "unclaimed weeks"- 03/14 is a hard stop for this program.

Super clear and thorough, covering all the bases. Go @cgr!
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: December 27, 2020, 03:38:08 PM »

If the bill does pass:

One point I'm not following. If this new law is passed, what happens to all the NJ claimants who are still waiting for their claim to get backdated? And if it doesn't pass?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3585 on: December 27, 2020, 03:53:07 PM »

One point I'm not following. If this new law is passed, what happens to all the NJ claimants who are still waiting for their claim to get backdated? And if it doesn't pass?
The backdate prevention clause shouldn't affect claims filed before the bill's passage, regardless of the claim status.
As always the DOL can choose to interpret things their own way...

Offline ShimshonK

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: December 27, 2020, 09:21:13 PM »
So... by delaying the signing, the president cost everyone on unemployment $300 (loss of federal benefits this week), and everyone on PUA, their full weekly benefit plus $300.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: December 27, 2020, 09:25:50 PM »
So... by delaying the signing, the president cost everyone on unemployment $300 (loss of federal benefits this week), and everyone on PUA, their full weekly benefit plus $300.

I'm hoping that because he signed today, they'll find a way to legally interpret it that it covers benefits starting today... (which would cover the full week).
Also doesn't seem fair that state's like NY where the benefit week starts on Monday should get a full week of extra benefits.

Offline m65

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: December 28, 2020, 06:12:00 PM »
any estimate as to when we should start seeing the $600 per person payments?

Offline ShimshonK

• View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: December 29, 2020, 04:03:01 AM »
any estimate as to when we should start seeing the $600 per person payments?
Seems realistic that many people with direct deposits on file will receive it next week.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/12/28/stimulus-check-trump-money/
The electronic deposits could go out Wednesday and Thursday in large tranches, according to a senior official at the Internal Revenue Service, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the agency’s early plans. It remains unclear, however, whether other obstacles might result in delays — particularly given the holiday week and its impact on staffing at major banks. A senior treasury official, who also spoke on the condition of anonymity, confirmed that the agency was sticking to the same targeted timeline as Mnuchin recently outlined — but signaled that the timing could change.

Offline ShimshonK

• View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: December 29, 2020, 04:04:46 AM »
I'm hoping that because he signed today, they'll find a way to legally interpret it that it covers benefits starting today... (which would cover the full week).
Also doesn't seem fair that state's like NY where the benefit week starts on Monday should get a full week of extra benefits.
From the same WaPo article I just linked above -
Trump’s refusal to sign the stimulus law before Sunday initially raised the possibility that millions of Americans essentially might lose a week of pay because the $900 billion stimulus did not take effect in time. But the Labor Department said late Monday that it “does not anticipate” that unemployed workers will miss out on this money after all.
Wyden earlier in the day urged Labor Secretary Eugene Scalia to “do all he can to prevent these Americans from losing a week of income.”

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: December 29, 2020, 07:59:03 AM »
From the same WaPo article I just linked above -
Thanks. Both the NJDOL and the NYSDOL have confirmed that there will be no gap in PUA.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: December 29, 2020, 08:00:05 AM »
Thanks. Both the NJDOL and the NYSDOL have confirmed that there will be no gap in PUA.

I guess we need to wait and see what happens with the $300 FPUC for the first week, no?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: December 29, 2020, 08:10:47 AM »
I guess we need to wait and see what happens with the $300 FPUC for the first week, no?
For that portion the NYSDOL confirmed that it starts this week (NY week starting 12/28). My assumption is that all states will start FPUC as of this week, even if their week starts on 12/27.

Offline yechiel11

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: December 29, 2020, 02:28:16 PM »

If the bill does pass:

Thanks so much for all the details. Now that the bill was signed, what is/was the last day to file a PUA claim and backdate to March/April?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: December 29, 2020, 03:21:54 PM »
Thanks so much for all the details. Now that the bill was signed, what is/was the last day to file a PUA claim and backdate to March/April?
Per the letter of the law all PUA applications not submitted either by 12/26 midnight or 12/27 exactly when the President signed, can now only be backdated to December 1, 2020. It remains to be seen how soon states will actually implement this rule change.

Online gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: December 29, 2020, 03:32:26 PM »
Per the letter of the law all PUA applications not submitted either by 12/26 midnight or 12/27 exactly when the President signed, can now only be backdated to December 1, 2020. It remains to be seen how soon states will actually implement this rule change.
claims started earlier, but not certified yet, can still claim?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: December 29, 2020, 03:49:20 PM »
claims started earlier, but not certified yet, can still claim?
That shouldn't be a problem. Per the language it refers only to claims filed. Not to those filed previously and unclaimed or pending.

Offline Luvtotravel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: December 29, 2020, 05:34:14 PM »
im still waiting on thousands in backpay after calling nydol an an obscene amount of times without getting through to anyone. anyone have any smarter/better way to get this taken care of? my online account doesnt show any messages or unfiled documents
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: December 29, 2020, 05:41:44 PM »
im still waiting on thousands in backpay after calling nydol an an obscene amount of times without getting through to anyone. anyone have any smarter/better way to get this taken care of? my online account doesnt show any messages or unfiled documents

When you have a real answer to this please let me know.