Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 482781 times)

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #3640 on: January 15, 2021, 11:17:39 AM »
What does ?s=19 stand for?

Freemason code. If you know you know.

Offline flyingace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: January 15, 2021, 11:56:37 AM »
Any updates on backpay in NJ?

Offline ShimshonK

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: January 15, 2021, 03:10:26 PM »
What does ?s=19 stand for?
It’s part of the twitter URL (web address) that the DDF plugin that translates the link into an embedded tweet doesn’t handle correctly. Disregard it.
Am I the only one shocked that a DDF user since '09 with over 4600 posts didn't know that?

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: January 15, 2021, 03:50:15 PM »
Am I the only one shocked that a DDF user since '09 with over 4600 posts didn't know that?
Well, I'm an American citizen who uses American currency since I was born, and I never knew until now that that little logo on the back of the dollar bill is really a sign that a secret society runs the country from the underground.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: January 17, 2021, 12:41:31 AM »
Well, I'm an American citizen who uses American currency since I was born, and I never knew until now that that little logo on the back of the dollar bill is really a sign that a secret society runs the country from the underground.
Just wait until you find out that ... :-X

Offline stv17

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3645 on: January 17, 2021, 03:10:09 PM »
My wife started applying for NYS UI last week Monday, She didn't receive yet any money. it still shows the message "We are continuing to work on your application and are determining the amount of benefits you will receive. You may get a call from us if we require further information. You will receive a status update as your application progresses through the system."
Any idea how long it may take?

Also, she received a email from NYS DOL asking to fill out Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) Application that she can get UI back 36 weeks. is that possible?

TY   

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: January 17, 2021, 03:12:42 PM »
My wife started applying for NYS UI last week Monday, She didn't receive yet any money. it still shows the message "We are continuing to work on your application and are determining the amount of benefits you will receive. You may get a call from us if we require further information. You will receive a status update as your application progresses through the system."
Any idea how long it may take?

Also, she received a email from NYS DOL asking to fill out Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) Application that she can get UI back 36 weeks. is that possible?

TY

If she received a PUA application she needs to complete it for her claim to progress.
If she applied last week the furthest back she can go is 12/01/20.

Offline stv17

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: January 17, 2021, 03:21:29 PM »
Thanks.

Once PUA application entered. How long does it take for the money to be released?

TY

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: January 17, 2021, 03:25:35 PM »
Thanks.

Once PUA application entered. How long does it take for the money to be released?

TY

Each week when she certifies about 2 days after certification.
For backpay:
if she gets a Docusign, less than a week
if she doesn't and needs to call, 6-8 weeks

Offline oldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: January 19, 2021, 12:29:51 AM »
In NY, Partial unemployment is BH changing for the better.
Instead of basing the percentage received per day worked, It going to be by the hours

0-4 hours worked per week = 0% reduction of benefits
4.1-10 hrs. = 25% reduction
10.1-20 hrs. = 50% reduction
20.1 -30 hrs = 75% reduction
Starting this week beginning Jan 18 (Week ending Jan 24)
https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-proposal-boost-partial-unemployment-benefits-part-2021-state-state

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: January 19, 2021, 12:36:10 AM »
In NY, Partial unemployment is BH changing for the better.
Instead of basing the percentage received per day worked, It going to be by the hours

0-4 hours worked per week = 0% reduction of benefits
4.1-10 hrs. = 25% reduction
10.1-20 hrs. = 50% reduction
20.1 -30 hrs = 75% reduction
Starting this week beginning Jan 18 (Week ending Jan 24)
https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-proposal-boost-partial-unemployment-benefits-part-2021-state-state

Is this guaranteed to pass? Looks like it still needs to go through the full legislative process and I didn't want to get excited before then...

Offline oldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: January 19, 2021, 12:44:20 AM »
Is this guaranteed to pass? Looks like it still needs to go through the full legislative process and I didn't want to get excited before then...
I didn't realize it wasn't finalized yet.

I know a travel agent that works now only a few min. a day (Learns in Kollel the rest..) because he almost has no work. Until now he only claimed unemployment for max 1 day per week and tried not to do anything the rest of the week, now he can claim full unemployment..
I think this is 1 thing that really makes sense.

Offline TBD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: January 19, 2021, 01:10:43 AM »
Does this mean that Cuomo can implement it by himself just need legislative action to make it permanent?
In order to fix the system of partial unemployment, Gov. Cuomo will direct the Department of Labor to immediately implement emergency measures that base partial unemployment benefits on the number of hours actually worked over the course of a week. Under the new system, unemployed New Yorkers can reportedly work up to seven days per week and still receive some unemployment benefits as long as they work fewer than 30 hours and earn no more than $504 in gross pay. The new method of calculating partial benefits is outlined below

Offline yomo

• View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: January 19, 2021, 03:14:54 AM »
I'm Self Employed with own small business in NJ. Applied back in April, haven't heard anything back. Called hundreds of times, cannot reach any agent. Once reached s/o and they said will get callback within 30 days. Over 60 days have passed and nothing. I'm probably owed $20,000 in backpay. How can I reach someone to help?
Any direct numbers?
Any Senior Managers or Supervisors I can reach out to?
Any contact info or any other advice would be much appreciated.

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: January 19, 2021, 07:59:31 AM »
Does this mean that Cuomo can implement it by himself just need legislative action to make it permanent?
In order to fix the system of partial unemployment, Gov. Cuomo will direct the Department of Labor to immediately implement emergency measures that base partial unemployment benefits on the number of hours actually worked over the course of a week. Under the new system, unemployed New Yorkers can reportedly work up to seven days per week and still receive some unemployment benefits as long as they work fewer than 30 hours and earn no more than $504 in gross pay. The new method of calculating partial benefits is outlined below

Looks like it didn't need the full process, because it's in effect!
https://dol.ny.gov/unemployment/partial-unemployment-eligibility

Some people will now be eligible for the first time for partial benefits, while others that were eligible will lose out entirely...

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: January 19, 2021, 08:00:07 AM »
I'm Self Employed with own small business in NJ. Applied back in April, haven't heard anything back. Called hundreds of times, cannot reach any agent. Once reached s/o and they said will get callback within 30 days. Over 60 days have passed and nothing. I'm probably owed $20,000 in backpay. How can I reach someone to help?
Any direct numbers?
Any Senior Managers or Supervisors I can reach out to?
Any contact info or any other advice would be much appreciated.
Try calling Gov Murphy's office.

Offline TBD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: January 19, 2021, 08:45:23 AM »
Looks like it didn't need the full process, because it's in effect!
https://dol.ny.gov/unemployment/partial-unemployment-eligibility

Some people will now be eligible for the first time for partial benefits, while others that were eligible will lose out entirely...
And......   If I was employed for 20 hrs a week, fired, rehired, will still be eligible for partial unemployment since only working 20 hrs a week :-\

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: January 19, 2021, 09:28:25 AM »
A relative of mine seems to have been the victim of well-planned identity fraud. Employer got documents claiming that this relative filed for unemployment, with all the correct information filled out, except the address.

Should this be reported to UI (of NY) or to law enforcement authorities? And aside from locking credit scores, are there any other steps that should be taken?

Offline cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: January 19, 2021, 09:49:42 AM »
A relative of mine seems to have been the victim of well-planned identity fraud. Employer got documents claiming that this relative filed for unemployment, with all the correct information filled out, except the address.

Should this be reported to UI (of NY) or to law enforcement authorities? And aside from locking credit scores, are there any other steps that should be taken?

Ouch! Yes, report to the NY DOL here: https://www.labor.ny.gov/agencyinfo/report-fraud.shtm
I believe freezing credit is the only thing s/he can do.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: January 19, 2021, 09:53:15 AM »

What did you find when you looked into the address?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)