Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470596 times)

Offline elazarmn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #3900 on: June 15, 2021, 11:32:46 PM »
I just got a unemployment letter saying that they suspect that someone is fraudulently claiming unemployment benefits and they want me to create a Id.me account to verify.

What caused this to happen?.
that may be a fake or i know the IRS was sending it out to let ppl know that you should check to see if someone has been claiming UI on your SS#

Offline Essen est zich

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 31
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Nichoach Vol 2
« Reply #3901 on: June 15, 2021, 11:34:01 PM »
that may be a fake or i know the IRS was sending it out to let ppl know that you should check to see if someone has been claiming UI on your SS#
I am claiming unemployment. I'm wondering what caused this to happen.
Shloffen Shloft Zich

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: June 16, 2021, 01:11:03 AM »
I am claiming unemployment. I'm wondering what caused this to happen.

I know many many people who have gotten the ID.me email.
It is not a scam. I'm not sure if it's routine fraud checks or if they have a reason to suspect that you may not be legit, but after you verify with ID.me you should not have any issues.

Offline Essen est zich

• View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: June 16, 2021, 03:08:03 AM »
I know many many people who have gotten the ID.me email.
It is not a scam. I'm not sure if it's routine fraud checks or if they have a reason to suspect that you may not be legit, but after you verify with ID.me you should not have any issues.
Does it matter if the ID  is a passport with maiden name?
Shloffen Shloft Zich

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: June 16, 2021, 09:06:13 AM »
Does it matter if the ID  is a passport with maiden name?

If the automatic system picks up on that then they will have a video call with you and you can show them your marriage license with your name change.

Offline Essen est zich

• View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: June 16, 2021, 09:09:31 AM »
Is NYC ID valid ID for this process?
Shloffen Shloft Zich

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: June 16, 2021, 02:53:58 PM »
Is NYC ID valid ID for this process?

I don't know, didn't come across it. But a passport is good as a primary ID. And if you end up needing secondary for a video call then you can use a social security card and birth certificate. If any names are wrong then have your marriage license with you to show change of name.

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: July 02, 2021, 10:25:25 AM »
1888-209-8124
Everything is approximate
few seconds 1
45 seconds 9
20 seconds 2
20 seconds SSN
5 seconds 1
few seconds PIN
10 seconds 1
few seconds 2
few seconds 1
few seconds 1

WE ARE SORRY ALL REPRESENTITIVES ARE BUSY NOW.......

HUCA

Even better:

Save this number in your contacts and it'll do all the prompts for you (replace your SS# and pin).

888-209-8124,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,9,,,,,,2,,,,,,,SS,,1,PIN,,1,2,1,1

HUCA as needed

Offline Shmulie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: July 02, 2021, 11:02:18 AM »
Even better:

Save this number in your contacts and it'll do all the prompts for you (replace your SS# and pin).

888-209-8124,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,9,,,,,,2,,,,,,,SS,,1,PIN,,1,2,1,1

HUCA as needed

This is great except the options changed as of May 29th, after the pin changed to 2,2,2,5,3

Offline lubaby

• View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: July 02, 2021, 11:04:13 AM »
This is great except the options changed as of May 29th, after the pin changed to 2,2,2,5,3
Maybe it changed back? Or depends what you’re calling for..

I had to call this morning to claim past weeks and this worked perfectly.

Offline Shmulie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: July 02, 2021, 11:05:49 AM »
Maybe it changed back?

I had to call this morning and this worked perfectly.

I literally just called, option 1 after the pin is if you got a letter in the mail to call for PUA

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #3911 on: July 02, 2021, 11:07:39 AM »
my options changed a year after my claim start date
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline lubaby

• View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: July 02, 2021, 11:11:17 AM »
I literally just called, option 1 after the pin is if you got a letter in the mail to call for PUA
I tried calling a few times this week and listened to the whole thing and followed prompts exactly. Nobody ever picked up.

I just edited the above instruction list (without listening to the prompts again) with the commas and called, and got through right away.

So it’s possible that it’s “technically” the wrong person picking up, but someone picked up instantly and took care of what I needed.

Offline Fish Tank

• View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: July 04, 2021, 12:42:04 AM »
Is it legal for a self employed teacher (playgroup morah) to file/claim unemployment for July and August? (NJ)

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: July 04, 2021, 01:19:19 AM »
Is it legal for a self employed teacher (playgroup morah) to file/claim unemployment for July and August? (NJ)
Generally educational employees can only file for UI in the summer if they don't have assurances of a job for September.

Offline TBD

• View Profile
« Reply #3915 on: July 04, 2021, 09:24:07 PM »
Generally educational employees can only file for UI in the summer if they don't have assurances of a job for September.
A Playgroup teacher shouldn't be considered educational, rather it's in the child care category

Offline Fish Tank

• View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: July 05, 2021, 11:40:08 PM »
Thank you.

A Playgroup teacher shouldn't be considered educational, rather it's in the child care category
How would that change the answer?

Offline TBD

• View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: July 06, 2021, 12:11:34 AM »
Thank you.
How would that change the answer?
Since Child care should have a job in July August also, since you don't have you should be able to file unemployment vs a school teacher who doesnt work in the summer can not file

Offline cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: July 06, 2021, 08:35:26 AM »
Since Child care should have a job in July August also, since you don't have you should be able to file unemployment vs a school teacher who doesnt work in the summer can not file
The educational rule is for employees that have a 10 month contract and are off over the summer. If a childcare provider is off every summer, this rule would apply.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: July 06, 2021, 12:08:42 PM »
claims from over a year ago are now 'expired'?
(called and finally got through) to certify back weeks for mar/apr 2020
being told they can't access that claim
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 12:56:24 PM by gozalim »