Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 470798 times)

Offline joe1234

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #3980 on: September 01, 2021, 08:24:14 PM »
Do you know the end-date of the week? Maybe it's punkt the week before or the week after the $600.
first week is 04/04/20
last week is 08/29/20

Online cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: September 01, 2021, 08:36:29 PM »
first week is 04/04/20
last week is 08/29/20
4/4/20 should have a $600 payment
The last payable week for the $600 in NJ was 7/25/20

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: September 01, 2021, 08:41:10 PM »
4/4/20 should have a $600 payment
The last payable week for the $600 in NJ was 7/25/20
that's why I assumed that the missing $600 was for the first week which they asked me how many days and hours I worked that week and paid me prorated...

either way should I go through the hassle of contacting them and also risk losing out on the $600 or should I leave it and risk them coming back to me down the road when it is too late to fix the date of when unemployment began which was really the beginning of the week?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 08:52:59 PM by joe1234 »

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: September 05, 2021, 12:59:00 PM »
PUA ($182), yes, as of 9/5.

Regular non-pamdemic unemployment, available for 26 weeks after losing a W2 job, has been around since 1921, and will be for years to come.
My friend got an email saying it's the end of PUA and she used up her 26 weeks.  Are her payments stopping now?
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: September 05, 2021, 02:39:17 PM »
My friend got an email saying it's the end of PUA and she used up her 26 weeks.  Are her payments stopping now?
Yes, today is the last payable day in NY, meaning you have until 9/11 to certify for the past week, and then there will be no more PUA ($182), FPUC ($300), or PEUC/EB (UI extension) payments.

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: September 05, 2021, 06:37:41 PM »
It's impossible to get through to nj, but they still owe backpay.
Will they eventually say that too much time has lapsed?

Offline Pupashtetl

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: September 09, 2021, 12:29:38 PM »

It's unbelievable that they have still not figured it out, and there is no public outcry over this.

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: September 09, 2021, 02:13:00 PM »
get congressman smith on your case... I personally and some people I know were helped within 2-3 months...

Offline Pupashtetl

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: September 09, 2021, 02:46:31 PM »
get congressman smith on your case... I personally and some people I know were helped within 2-3 months...

How do I reach him?

Offline Fish Tank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #3990 on: September 13, 2021, 02:42:48 PM »
Yes, today is the last payable day in NY, meaning you have until 9/11 to certify for the past week, and then there will be no more PUA ($182), FPUC ($300), or PEUC/EB (UI extension) payments.
If one forgot to claim for one week, what's the easiest way to claim or file for backpay?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: September 13, 2021, 02:56:13 PM »
If one forgot to claim for one week, what's the easiest way to claim or file for backpay?
The only way to claim is to call in.

Offline TBD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: September 17, 2021, 04:47:14 AM »
What is this?
It seems that even if you continue to file the old claim they will put in now the waiting week?
Doesn't NY have a 26 week limit?

Dear New Yorker:

As a reminder, federal unemployment benefits and extensions expired on September 5, 2021, per federal law. This includes the Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) benefits you were eligible for or receiving.

However, our records indicate that effective September 6, 2021, you meet the earning requirement to qualify for Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits on your most recently submitted original claim. If unemployed and otherwise eligible, you can begin to certify for UI benefits on or after September 12, 2021.

You do not need to file a new claim.  You do not need to call the Telephone Claims Center.

Before any UI benefits can be paid to you, an unpaid waiting period equivalent to one full week of unemployment benefits must be served. This waiting period begins with the week ending September 12, 2021. If you work at all during this week or for other reasons do not serve a full waiting period, the waiting period extends into the next week(s). For more information about your unpaid waiting period, click here and see question “I filed a claim. What next?”

Please note: if you are currently working, you cannot quit your job to collect benefits as you will not be eligible.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 04:50:39 AM by TBD »

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: September 17, 2021, 08:09:31 AM »
What is this?
It seems that even if you continue to file the old claim they will put in now the waiting week?
Doesn't NY have a 26 week limit?
This is if you qualify for a new claim (had enough W2 wages that was not used in your previous claim).

Offline TBD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: September 17, 2021, 09:31:38 AM »
This is if you qualify for a new claim (had enough W2 wages that was not used in your previous claim).
But they write that I don't need to file a new claim?

Offline YesThatsMe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: October 14, 2021, 05:55:13 PM »
Did anyone ever successfully claim backpay from NJ UI for the early Covid period in 2020? If yes, how?

Offline skv

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: October 17, 2021, 03:49:09 PM »
The answer is yes, but IME there was only a short period of time that they were processing these requests. I haven't heard of one in a while.

Don't know if this will help, but:
https://lnnnews.com/2021/10/16/state-unemployment-benefits-offices-to-begin-reopening-to-the-public-this-monday/

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: October 17, 2021, 09:42:29 PM »
Did anyone ever successfully claim backpay from NJ UI for the early Covid period in 2020? If yes, how?
Yes. After contacting congressman smith…

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: October 17, 2021, 10:17:25 PM »
Yes. After contacting congressman smith…
How long did it take after you got the automated response?

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: October 17, 2021, 11:37:12 PM »
How long did it take after you got the automated response?
2-3 months