Topic Wiki

Thank you @cgr for all your efforts on behalf of everyone here.
If anyone would like to show her appreciation, click here: https://bit.ly/3fS4yDE
For the record, she has no idea that I am posting this.

!WHEN ASKING A QUESTION POST YOUR LOCATION OR OTHERS WILL BE UNABLE TO ASSIST!

You are eligible for the $600 weekly FPUC payment if you are on any sort of unemployment, including PUA and partial unemployment. This is available for claims dated 3/28/20-7/31/20. The federal supplement does not affect eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP. It does affect SNAP and TANF.

If you filed for UI more than a week after your layoff date, you are eligible for backpay.

The obligatory waiting week has been waived, so your claim will process with a date a week earlier than what you apply for, to account for the waiting week waiver.

NY
There is a streamlined application process so that all applicants complete the same form, regardless of which program they'll eventually be eligible for.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
If you are assigned the minimum rate of $182 when it should be higher based on your income, complete this form, fax it in, then send it again via the message center (Subject1: "Benefit Rate and Monetary Determination" Subject2: "Some of my wages are missing or incorrect") so that they definitely got it. Your rate should be adjusted in less than a week. You are also entitled to get your updated rate on all prior weeks.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if you're working 3 days or less, and earning $504/weekly or less. The DOL deducts 25% of your base rate for every day that you work. (You receive 100% of your rate if you don't work at all, 75% if you work 1 day, 50% if you work 2 days, and 25% if you work 3 days).
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
The NY DOL is using Docusign to allow claimants to file backpay. You should receive an email from the DOL with instructions. The email subject is "Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments". This might end up in your spam folder, so be sure to check that as well.
If you don't receive this email or you don't want to wait, call the NY DOL and speak to an agent to certify for backpay over the phone.
It takes a little less than a week from when you complete backdated certifications until your claims are processed and funds are released.
$0 Benefit Determination:
Email @cgr for instructions on a fix for this issue

You can email @cgr at chaiplus1@gmail.com for help with any unemployment questions.

NJ
Apply here.
PUA:
Unemployment for the self-employed. Acceptable proof of income includes prior year tax returns, 1099, P&L, bank statements and more. You will most likely be approved for standard UI even if you're an independent contractor, if you had W2 employment within the last 18 months.
At this point it looks like claimants are still being given $231- the minimum PUA rate- regardless of prior income.
You are also eligible for PUA if you landed a job but where unable to start due to the pandemic. You need an employment offer that was then rescinded to prove this.
PUA is available for a total of 46 weeks from 02/02/20-12/31/20.
Partial UI:
You can apply for partial UI if your hours have been reduced by 20% or more. You'll be allowed to earn an additional 20% above your rate determination. Your earnings will then be deducted from your rate, and you'll receive the balance as your UI payment.
PEUC:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 13 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks. This benefit is available through 12/31/20.
Extended Benefits:
For those on regular unemployment- you will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits after you've exhausted your initial 26 weeks and your PEUC weeks. This makes for a total of 59 weeks that you can possible receive unemployment benefits. This benefit is available as long as the state's unemployment rate is high.
Requesting Backpay:
You can request backpay if you are lucky enough to get through to an agent.

Here is a guide for NJ residents from the LRRC.
« Last edited by cgr on November 27, 2020, 09:48:37 AM »

Author Topic: Unemployment Help  (Read 471014 times)

Online mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
Re: Unemployment Help
« Reply #4060 on: March 10, 2022, 09:26:02 AM »
Looking for a job is not acceptable proof. Here are the options:

Pending Employment: If you were offered employment but were unable to work due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you can submit the following documents to substantiate pending employment:

- Letter Offering Employment - This letter must include the name of the employer who issued the letter offering employment, the employer’s address and phone number, and the date of the letter offering employment.
- Statements or affidavits by individual(s) verifying the offer of employment - The affidavit must include the date of your pending employment, name, and contact information for the person(s) verifying your pending employment.
if someone was offered a job as a baby sitter for someone at their home does that count as a job offer?

Offline 4yourinfo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: March 10, 2022, 10:39:17 AM »
How did you get it straightened out?
To get a "simple" backdate Chris Smiths office seems to easily get that done. I had an issue with my case and I believe it was because someone decided  to dump a denial on the claim. So no matter how many times the claim was backdated there were errors it finally got cleared up. But I was speaking to Smiths office, governor's office and unemployment so I'm not certain who got the claim cleared. most likely smith..

Online cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: March 10, 2022, 11:15:30 AM »
if someone was offered a job as a baby sitter for someone at their home does that count as a job offer?
Check the pending self-employment section- a babysitter would not be an employee.

Offline yosefsv

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: March 10, 2022, 02:48:57 PM »
Check the pending self-employment section- a babysitter would not be an employee.
If its in the Childs home it is considered as an employee. (See IRS schedule H)
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline 435sky

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: May 29, 2022, 09:15:04 PM »
(Urgent as I need to upload documents by June 1st)

I received the DOL email requesting PUA documentation.
To cut to the chase, I believe that I have zero documentation and am very nervous about what will happen.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what options I have.

Pm's welcome, Thanks

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #4065 on: May 30, 2022, 01:57:20 PM »
(Urgent as I need to upload documents by June 1st)

I received the DOL email requesting PUA documentation.
To cut to the chase, I believe that I have zero documentation and am very nervous about what will happen.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what options I have.

Pm's welcome, Thanks
Check out this article, it might help you: https://homeunemployed.com/ny-pua-proof/

Offline TBD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: May 30, 2022, 02:05:28 PM »
Check out this article, it might help you: https://homeunemployed.com/ny-pua-proof/
Great Article.

Why isn't a 2018 W-2 suffice?

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: May 30, 2022, 03:02:09 PM »
Great Article.

Why isn't a 2018 W-2 suffice?
Probably as it does not prove that you were in the workforce within a year of March 2020

Offline TBD

• View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: May 30, 2022, 07:33:39 PM »
Probably as it does not prove that you were in the workforce within a year of March 2020
Where is there a requirement for a YEAR from MAR 2020?

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: May 31, 2022, 09:41:34 AM »
Where is there a requirement for a YEAR from MAR 2020?
Unless I’m mistaken, 2018 is more than a year prior to when you started to collect, so you will need to provide newer docs

Offline bingit

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: June 03, 2022, 01:31:42 AM »
So a few weeks ago, after a long time of being owed PUA backpay, i finally reached to the office of congresman Smith to help, they told me they will reach out to NJDOL for me to try to get my backpay worked out... so now a few things happened in the past few days, first i got an email from ID.ME to certify that i am really me, then i notice when i logged in that my starting date of my PUA was moved earlier to the date that i really stopped working, & today i got a letter in the mail that they want me to repay all my PUA due to " your claim for benefits was cancelled" !! does anyone understand whats going on? cuz i am totally confused! TIA!

Offline 4yourinfo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: June 03, 2022, 09:05:01 AM »
So a few weeks ago, after a long time of being owed PUA backpay, i finally reached to the office of congresman Smith to help, they told me they will reach out to NJDOL for me to try to get my backpay worked out... so now a few things happened in the past few days, first i got an email from ID.ME to certify that i am really me, then i notice when i logged in that my starting date of my PUA was moved earlier to the date that i really stopped working, & today i got a letter in the mail that they want me to repay all my PUA due to " your claim for benefits was cancelled" !! does anyone understand whats going on? cuz i am totally confused! TIA!

The way the NJ system works for back pay - they cancel your old claim and create a new one with the new dates. you have to certify for all the dates including the dates you got paid for. right now because they canceled your old claim you owe back the money - once you certify for ALL the weeks the overpayment will get cancelled out and you will receive the difference.

Offline bingit

• View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: June 03, 2022, 10:46:33 AM »
The way the NJ system works for back pay - they cancel your old claim and create a new one with the new dates. you have to certify for all the dates including the dates you got paid for. right now because they canceled your old claim you owe back the money - once you certify for ALL the weeks the overpayment will get cancelled out and you will receive the difference.
Thanks! so how do i go about certifying for all the weeks? its going back to March 2020! so i can ignore the letter that i got in the mail that they want all my money back?

Offline est

• View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: June 07, 2022, 01:49:14 AM »
During Covid I filed pua and only got the base rate. I called a few times to have it corrected but never made progress. Recently I got a call offering an in person appointment to clear up any issues I have with a claim. The morning of the appt they called and said I shouldn’t bother coming in just send in my tax return. That night all the owed money was deposited in my account! Anyone with issues should try getting an appointment!!! Good luck!1

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: June 07, 2022, 08:02:07 AM »
During Covid I filed pua and only got the base rate. I called a few times to have it corrected but never made progress. Recently I got a call offering an in person appointment to clear up any issues I have with a claim. The morning of the appt they called and said I shouldn’t bother coming in just send in my tax return. That night all the owed money was deposited in my account! Anyone with issues should try getting an appointment!!! Good luck!1
Happy to hear! Maybe I'll try this.

Just wondering if I have to start amending my tax return from 2020 if I suddenly get a big lump of unemployment benefits for that year?

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #4075 on: June 07, 2022, 09:09:02 AM »
Happy to hear! Maybe I'll try this.

Just wondering if I have to start amending my tax return from 2020 if I suddenly get a big lump of unemployment benefits for that year?
it'll be based on when you receive it, not when you earned it.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: June 07, 2022, 10:17:50 AM »
it'll be based on when you receive it, not when you earned it.

Yup. An unfortunate reality where people like you who got paid late suffer doubly by not getting a part of their UI/PUA to be untaxed.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Joshua

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: June 08, 2022, 01:56:55 AM »
Self employed individuals should provide a 2019 Schedule C (or K1).
I am just confirming that K1 would work. I don’t have a 1099 or W2.
Thanks

Online cgr

• View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: June 08, 2022, 04:56:09 AM »
I am just confirming that K1 would work. I don’t have a 1099 or W2.
Thanks
If you have a Schedule SE on your personal return that would be best. If not, go with your K1 and EIN letter.

Offline bingit

• View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: June 10, 2022, 02:47:02 AM »
Thanks! but the problem is that when i go online to cerify going bsck to March 2020 the system dosent let me certify. i get a message that says "the benefit year on your unemployment claim dated 03/15/2020 has expired. no unemployment benifts are available for you at this time" anyone has any ideas how i can go & certify ?TIA