Author Topic: Will the truth come out how this administration made blunder after blunder?  (Read 103168 times)

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
If you need someone to say ask/tell are not the same then impasse is not the problem.
You’re digging your grave deeper. I was being kind by equating our sides and offering judgement to a third party.

Spoiler alert: It’s you in the wrong.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 07:23:34 PM by S209 »
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
You’re digging your grave deeper. I was being kind by equating our sides and offering judgement to a third party.

Spoiler alert: It’s you with the comprehension issue.
Would you like to bet they mean the same? Money goes to charity.
I am now going to be blunt. You have lost your mind if you think those two words mean the same thing!!!  :P
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Would you like to bet they mean the same? Money goes to charity.
I am now going to be blunt. You have lost your mind if you think those two words mean the same thing!!!  :P
The words can mean different things in context. The two sentences I offered meant the same thing. Sure I’ll gladly give $10 to the coronavirus charity campaign of your choice from the other thread if someone we agree to judge neutrally says that those sentences don’t mean the same thing.

Here are options that work for me: @Dan @Lurker @Yehuda57 @AsherO @AJK @jj1000 @YitzyS @Euclid @yuneeq @yelped @PlatinumGuy @Ergel (names that come off the top of my head)

Pick any one or more to be judge.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
The words can mean different things in context. The two sentences I offered meant the same thing. Sure I’ll gladly give $10 to the coronavirus charity campaign of your choice from the other thread if someone we agree to judge neutrally says that those sentences don’t mean the same thing.

Here are options that work for me: @Dan @Lurker @Yehuda57 @AsherO @AJK @jj1000 @YitzyS @Euclid @yuneeq @yelped @PlatinumGuy @Ergel (names that come off the top of my head)

Pick any one or more to be judge.
Here is the exact question:

In the context of Trump telling people who work for him to slow down the testing, do the following sentences mean the same thing or are they “totally different”?

I told them to slow down the testing.
I asked them to slow down the testing.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
The words can mean different things in context.
Here we go with the pretzels. There are two words, ask and told. They don't mean the same thing.
Do you want to bet on that or not?

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile

In the context of Trump telling people who work for him to slow down the testing, do the following sentences mean the same thing or are they “totally different”?

You would have to know what is in the persons mind. That can't be done but nice try with the pretzel.  :P

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
Here we go with the pretzels. There are two words, ask and told. They don't mean the same thing.
Do you want to bet on that or not?
That wasn’t the question, the question was if the sentences mean the same thing. You’re the one twisting into pretzels. The question and answer before was very clear and simple.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
You would have to know what is in the persons mind. That can't be done but nice try with the pretzel.  :P
Oh so now they mean different things depending on what the person meant? The question is what the sentences mean. In English.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
So to be clear, are you retracting what you said before that they are “totally different”?

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
So to be clear, are you retracting what you said before that they are “totally different”?
You lost your mind. The only difference is the two words. They are totally different. Now we can play your games on what "totally" means.
Ask your wife if they are different. When she says they are then tell her they are not.  :P

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
Oh so now they mean different things depending on what the person meant? The question is what the sentences mean. In English.
In English the words have two different meanings. I don't care what the person saying them thinks they mean or the person hearing them thinks they mean. All I care about is if in English they mean the same, they don't!!! Now you want to bet or not?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
You lost your mind. The only difference is the two words. They are totally different. Now we can play your games on what "totally" means.
Ask your wife if they are different. When she says they are then tell her they are not.  :P
Words are funny things. They change meaning based on context. Like how change can mean to transform, transformation, or small coins. Fortunately the context in this case was very clear, as we were discussing a very specific sentence.

How’s your pretzel going?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
In English the words have two different meanings. I don't care what the person saying them thinks they mean or the person hearing them thinks they mean. All I care about is if in English they mean the same, they don't!!! Now you want to bet or not?
In English words take on different meanings based on context. What is so hard to understand about that? When they are both being used to replace the word “request”, they mean the same thing.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
Does change mean to transform or does it mean small coins?

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
How’s your pretzel going?
Telling or asking have different meanings in the same context.

I asked him to take out the garbage.
I told him to take out the garbage.
They mean two different things. You want to bet or not.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
Does change mean to transform or does it mean small coins?
I asked him to donate his change.
I told him to donate his change.
Same exact context but different meanings. You want to bet now?

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Man, the last time I saw this much back and forth over the meaning of words in English was that little "Chinese virus" thing...  8)

But I kinda want a soft pretzel now.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
Telling or asking have different meanings in the same context.

I asked him to take out the garbage.
I told him to take out the garbage.
They mean two different things. You want to bet or not.
Yes. In your example they mean the same thing (assuming “I” is “him”s boss and is asking “him” to take out the garbage in the course of his work for “I”). Let’s bet. Which judge of those I nominated do you choose?

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
Man, the last time I saw this much back and forth over the meaning of words in English was that little "Chinese virus" thing...  8)

But I kinda want a soft pretzel now.
He should shut up or put up!  :)

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
Again, this is the *exact* question to be judged.

Please choose the judge, I set the terms earlier. $10 from the loser to the Covid victim page of their choice.