Author Topic: Will the truth come out how this administration made blunder after blunder?  (Read 29229 times)

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Oh so now they mean different things depending on what the person meant? The question is what the sentences mean. In English.
In English the words have two different meanings. I don't care what the person saying them thinks they mean or the person hearing them thinks they mean. All I care about is if in English they mean the same, they don't!!! Now you want to bet or not?
You're so far up Trump's a** you can see Giuliani's feet.  HT Baruch

Online S209

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Ritz Carlton Gold, *G, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Total Rewards Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, DDF Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
You lost your mind. The only difference is the two words. They are totally different. Now we can play your games on what "totally" means.
Ask your wife if they are different. When she says they are then tell her they are not.  :P
Words are funny things. They change meaning based on context. Like how change can mean to transform, transformation, or small coins. Fortunately the context in this case was very clear, as we were discussing a very specific sentence.

How’s your pretzel going?
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
info@gownsbyshevy.com

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Ritz Carlton Gold, *G, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Total Rewards Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, DDF Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
In English the words have two different meanings. I don't care what the person saying them thinks they mean or the person hearing them thinks they mean. All I care about is if in English they mean the same, they don't!!! Now you want to bet or not?
In English words take on different meanings based on context. What is so hard to understand about that? When they are both being used to replace the word “request”, they mean the same thing.
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
info@gownsbyshevy.com

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
Does change mean to transform or does it mean small coins?
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
info@gownsbyshevy.com

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
How’s your pretzel going?
Telling or asking have different meanings in the same context.

I asked him to take out the garbage.
I told him to take out the garbage.
They mean two different things. You want to bet or not.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
Does change mean to transform or does it mean small coins?
I asked him to donate his change.
I told him to donate his change.
Same exact context but different meanings. You want to bet now?

Online Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Man, the last time I saw this much back and forth over the meaning of words in English was that little "Chinese virus" thing...  8)

But I kinda want a soft pretzel now.
When you find yourself agreeing with me more often than not, it's time for a cheshbon hanefesh.

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
Telling or asking have different meanings in the same context.

I asked him to take out the garbage.
I told him to take out the garbage.
They mean two different things. You want to bet or not.
Yes. In your example they mean the same thing (assuming “I” is “him”s boss and is asking “him” to take out the garbage in the course of his work for “I”). Let’s bet. Which judge of those I nominated do you choose?
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
info@gownsbyshevy.com

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
Man, the last time I saw this much back and forth over the meaning of words in English was that little "Chinese virus" thing...  8)

But I kinda want a soft pretzel now.
He should shut up or put up!  :)

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
Again, this is the *exact* question to be judged.

Please choose the judge, I set the terms earlier. $10 from the loser to the Covid victim page of their choice.
Here is the exact question:

In the context of Trump telling people who work for him to slow down the testing, do the following sentences mean the same thing or are they “totally different”?

I told them to slow down the testing.
I asked them to slow down the testing.
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
info@gownsbyshevy.com

Online Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
The words have different definitions in the English language. However, context is everything here. There are many times when a request isn't really a request; it's a command given in a polite manner. The same goes for commands given when the person giving the command is in no position to do so; the reality is it is a request. To argue over the semantics here is an epic waste of time, since the end result is the same: Trump is a fool.
When you find yourself agreeing with me more often than not, it's time for a cheshbon hanefesh.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
Yes. In your example they mean the same thing (assuming “I” is “him”s boss and is asking “him” to take out the garbage in the course of his work for “I”). Let’s bet. Which judge of those I nominated do you choose?
I am sorry but you are acting like a child. There is no assumption. They are simple English sentences which you can't comprehend.
Ask someone with knowledge of English if ask/told mean the same thing.
Then come back or put up or shut up!!!  :)
You are trying to take @Lurker position since you dug yourself such a big hole.

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
I am sorry but you are acting like a child. There is no assumption. They are simple English sentences which you can't comprehend.
Ask someone with knowledge of English if ask/told mean the same thing.
Then come back or put up or shut up!!!  :)
You are trying to take @Lurker position since you dug yourself such a big hole.
Umm. I literally took you up on your bet. I asked you a question. You answered. I am telling you you’re wrong and am ready to bet on it. The terms are clear. PUOSU.

What are you even rambling about? This was very clearly about a very specific sentence all along. Quit whining and choose the judge :P
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
info@gownsbyshevy.com

Online Lurker

• View Profile
You know you've spent too much time on DDF when you have a rule and a position named after you...

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
You know you've spent too much time on DDF when you have a rule and a position named after you...
That happens a lot around here since some members can't think for themselves. I would be a millionaire if I have a nickel for every time one of my phrases were used since they can't think on their own.