Topic Wiki

IZ = Israel Zion = Maimonides Hospital

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maimonides_Medical_Center:
In 1920 Israel Hospital merged with Zion Hospital to form United Israel Zion Hospital, later renamed Israel Zion Hospital. Maimonides Medical Center was formed as a result of the merger of United Israel Zion Hospital and Beth Moses Hospital in 1947.
Hatzolah uses IZ as code for the hospital. So should we. Unless you are really good at spelling.
« Last edited by YitzyS on March 30, 2020, 09:50:37 PM »

Author Topic: Maimonides  (Read 92375 times)

Offline iAm

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Maimonidies
« Reply #160 on: March 31, 2020, 04:50:31 PM »
You are the one making assumptions. I am telling facts. Is it normal for patients to be on the floor for any reason? How do you know I have no idea how hospitals work? Put cameras in every room. Watch them all the time, then tell me everything's ok.

This is what your armchair quarterbacking from the comforts of the home of your 'long term boro park family'

https://twitter.com/KatyTurNBC/status/1245085813974667266

This is the mess you want to send extra visitors into, to act as roving fomites and spread infection.  👏
iThink. Ergo. iAm

Online chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #161 on: March 31, 2020, 04:59:16 PM »

Online flyingace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 31, 2020, 05:05:13 PM »
This is what your armchair quarterbacking from the comforts of the home of your 'long term boro park family'

https://twitter.com/KatyTurNBC/status/1245085813974667266

This is the mess you want to send extra visitors into, to act as roving fomites and spread infection.  👏
You are making blanket assumptions here. I never said it's not a mess. I never said put people all over. But you are saying these things are not happening. You do not know what is going on in every unit. I know they are dealing with chaos. That doesn't remove the need for some oversight here. You can continue to ignore it, if you want.

Offline iAm

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 31, 2020, 05:16:59 PM »
I never said put people all over.

You do not know what is going on in every unit.

You cant argue both these things. How can you ensure that malpractice is not happening "in every unit" without putting observers in every unit. The reality is that maimo is not unique in the fact that its working in unprecedented situations, and theres no reason to believe that there is malpractice going on there. If you dont trust the front line workers there to do their best, dont entrust them with your care in the first place.
iThink. Ergo. iAm

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 31, 2020, 06:22:53 PM »
You cant argue both these things. How can you ensure that malpractice is not happening "in every unit" without putting observers in every unit. The reality is that maimo is not unique in the fact that its working in unprecedented situations, and theres no reason to believe that there is malpractice going on there. If you dont trust the front line workers there to do their best, dont entrust them with your care in the first place.
The Governor took care of the malpractice issue. Almost now way to prove gross negligence in this environment.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 31, 2020, 06:35:40 PM »
There's a longstanding bias of the frum community against Maimonides. 
Medically, it is not perfect, but has some departments that are among the best in the metropolitan area, perhaps the USA. 
The main area of complaints has been the nursing staff.  Sometimes their work, often their attitude, is criticized. I would venture to say some of the complaints are due to the attitude of the patients or his family, but I'm biased.  The behavior shown by some families at Maimonides wouldn't be tolerated at any other hospital; in fact, these families don't act the same way in a 'Manhattan' hospital. 

My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 31, 2020, 06:43:52 PM »
I saw an article here in NJ last week someone came with his wife to deliver while he had covid symptoms and didn't tell the hospital staff.

A person willing to infected his wife in that kind of situation tells a whole lot about him

and MMC even got free ventilators from Elon Musk

https://twitter.com/MaimonidesMC/status/1243617646437957632

Nice to see that he actually delivered.

Kudos

it's the few delusional ones that believe if they aren't there to oversee every move the doctor and nurses make the pt is being ignored.
I don't know about you, but if I don't have to be exposed I don't want too. It's part of my job and I happily do it.

I wasn't advocating private nurses for every person. Just a group of independent ppl advocating for the families/patients. To give them assurance. Keep them informed. Etc

No one cares about your anonymous name dropping on DDF. The reality is that these stories are anecdotal and anonymous. Theres also a presumption here that healthcare workers are acting with malice or doing malpractice, while the majority are just overhwelmed and trying to do theyre best

Medically, it is not perfect, but has some departments that are among the best in the metropolitan area, perhaps the USA. 
The main area of complaints has been the nursing staff.  Sometimes their work, often their attitude, is criticized. I would venture to say some of the complaints are due to the attitude of the patients or his family, but I'm biased.  The behavior shown by some families at Maimonides wouldn't be tolerated at any other hospital; in fact, these families don't act the same way in a 'Manhattan' hospital.

What makes me uneasy is that Hatzolah is diverting ppl away from Maimonides. To me thats telling

Online zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 31, 2020, 06:55:29 PM »
What makes me uneasy is that Hatzolah is diverting ppl away from Maimonides. To me thats telling

This can easily be because Maimonidies can't handle any more patients than they already have. It's not evidence that they are doing something wrong.

Offline iAm

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 31, 2020, 07:08:59 PM »
The Governor took care of the malpractice issue. Almost now way to prove gross negligence in this environment.

Cuomo did not give a Carte blanche pass for every doctor to practice malpractice now. If a surgeon operating on a COVID patient leaves a scalpel in the patient, or operates on the wrong limb, he will still be liable. What it does do is allow doctors to stop performing defensive medicine, ordering unnecessary CT scans and imaging on every patient, so that they can focus on providing the best possible care they can. It allows them to provide substandard care to what they would in a non pandemic, so they can focus on the greatest possible good for the most amount of people.

There is a running belief in this thread (all to common in general when jews from boro park enter medical settings) that they are getting a standard of care thats worse than Asians are getting in Elmhurst hospital, Hispanics are getting in Jacobi, or Caribbeans are getting in Brookdale. This is undoubtedly false, because everyone is working under unprecedented conditions everywhere and doing the best they can. Yet you dont hear these communities complaining and starting rumors the same way you hear people in this community doing.

Lastly, gross negligence is a obtuse term in triage care. If a hospital genuinely has 1 ventilator, and its currently keeping a 70 yo with stage 4 pancreatic cancer alive, but a 35 year old father of 4 needs it, is it gross negligence to remove the 70 yo from the ventilator. If Maimo's census is absolutely full, and they dont have a single open bed, but 911 doesnt allow them to go on bypass and ems drops off 20 patients in an hour and those patients have to sit on the floor until other patients can get discharged, is that negligence. Alot of the comments here are from people that really dont understand how bad it is on the front line.
iThink. Ergo. iAm

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 31, 2020, 07:14:31 PM »

With this prior bias in mind, it was easy for many to believe that the overwhelmed staff was deliberately harming Jewish patients. So Hatzolo tried to negotiate having a family member with each patient. Maimonides in the end didn't allow it. So hatzolo is taking their patients elsewhere.
Since motzoei Shabbos, they've taken more than 70 patients elsewhere.
Now some of those hospitals are asking hatzolo to stop, presumably because they're too over whelmed. 
As mentioned above, none of these hospitals allow a patient's family at bedside.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 31, 2020, 07:36:47 PM »

With this prior bias in mind, it was easy for many to believe that the overwhelmed staff was deliberately harming Jewish patients. So Hatzolo tried to negotiate having a family member with each patient. Maimonides in the end didn't allow it. So hatzolo is taking their patients elsewhere.
Now some of those hospitals are asking hatzolo to stop, presumably because they're too over whelmed. 
As mentioned above, none of these hospitals allow a patient's family at bedside.
Then why is hatzolah taking patients to other hospitals ?

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 31, 2020, 07:42:39 PM »
One thing I didn’t see mentioned here with regards to having 1 family member with the patient:
1. Each family member will be advocating on behalf of the patient, ask questions, etc. and further overwhelm already overtaxed and maxed out resources (doctors/nurses), overall it will slow things down for all the patients.
2. The doctors might do everything in their ability and make the best judgements they can, but the advocates will still see things that will open up the hospital to liability and bad reputation.

It’s a hard call to make and I can only imagine the suffering of all the families with a relative in the hospital (myself included), but there are other things to consider as well.

My opinion here is that if HIPPA wasn’t so stupid and hospital’s IT systems more human friendly, we’d have a better way of communicating with family members, both during this crisis and otherwise. I’m oversimplifying, but there’s a lot of room for improvement in this area.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 31, 2020, 07:43:32 PM »

Maybe they bring patients to wherever their data tells them is currently least overwhelmed (relatively).
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Online chff

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 31, 2020, 07:46:01 PM »
This can easily be because Maimonidies can't handle any more patients than they already have. It's not evidence that they are doing something wrong.

What I have heard from a member "we can't drop off someone 10am and it should be over by 2pm"
The Governor keeps on talking how people are staying on ventilators for very long, vs by MMC it seems like they are on it for merely hours.

Offline yochiek93

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 31, 2020, 07:49:25 PM »
even with family being there malpractice can happen you know that, at this point unless there is definite proof of an issue shouldn't people stop making up stories?
I totally get that if there was a real issue that something should be done but right now it's just people talking out their rear end since they don't know what is happening at all.

Online chff

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 31, 2020, 07:50:04 PM »
and keep in mind that Hatzolah always defended the claim from people that MMC is bad, and now they are taking people elsewhere

Online chff

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 31, 2020, 07:50:48 PM »
BTW any @mod can you please rename this thread to the correct name? "Maimonides"

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 31, 2020, 07:52:13 PM »
even with family being there malpractice can happen you know that, at this point unless there is definite proof of an issue shouldn't people stop making up stories?
I totally get that if there was a real issue that something should be done but right now it's just people talking out their rear end since they don't know what is happening at all.
Being that we don’t do autopsies we'll never know why a 40yo goes in there & is dead a day later.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #178 on: March 31, 2020, 08:32:45 PM »
1- A mashgiach is suppose to know the halachos of kashrus with which he checks the employees, while a layman visitor does not actually know healthcare with which to check healthcare employees. A common example of this is when IV pumps start beeping. Nurses tend to have a general feel for when to check on a patient, while a visitor often freaks out when it starts beeping, and goes and distracts a nurse while they are doing something else for another patient - potentially leading to a preventable adverse event.

2- It is not universally accepted as you posit, that visitors improve outcomes for patients. A simple Pubmed search on this topic would show you how many different research pubs have been written on this topic that dont have as much certainty as Shevy from Lakewood

3- Even if you were to argue that every patient's care would improve with a visitor, it is obviously not possible for every patient to have a visitor (some are widows, some have kids out of state, etc).  Is it ethical in a triage situation that those who are able to have visitors be granted better care than those that are unable? Thats just as bad an allocation as saying that those who are currently on ventilators get to keep it more than someone that needs it tomorrow

4- Until you do a randomized control trial, where some hospitals are granting visitors and some arent, you will never be able to *prove* anything. However, it is compelling that at this moment that visitors are just massive fomites and a very big public health concern in hospitals, and should be banned. And the infectious control managers at 10 of the top hospitals of the country have clearly arrived at this realization.

I just read this and I’m not going to dissect your entire post this second. Just two things:

a) You didn’t address what I said at all and completely missed the substance of what I wrote. I never said it’s overall more beneficial, just that you didn’t address the fact that there are positive elements to having visitors at all. That good does NOT necessarily come at the expense of another patient. That pattern continues. I understand you think it’s a net negative here but we don’t need to listen to you.

b) Attacking me ad hominem by referencing a name (not mine) and location (accurate but irrelevant) in my signature doesn’t really help your argument. You don’t know how much medical school I attended nor my personal medical credentials, as I haven’t disclosed them. Of course that appeal to authority wouldn’t mean much anyway in a logical argument but it would probably behoove you to do more research before you attack someone ad hominem.

On a separate note, it’s officially starting across NY :'(
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 31, 2020, 08:46:47 PM »
Cuomo did not give a Carte blanche pass for every doctor to practice malpractice now. If a surgeon operating on a COVID patient leaves a scalpel in the patient, or operates on the wrong limb, he will still be liable. What it does do is allow doctors to stop performing defensive medicine, ordering unnecessary CT scans and imaging on every patient, so that they can focus on providing the best possible care they can. It allows them to provide substandard care to what they would in a non pandemic, so they can focus on the greatest possible good for the most amount of people.
No its carte blanche. Doctors can now prescribe or not prescribe meds with no consequences. Withholding the cocktail has no consequences.

There is a running belief in this thread (all to common in general when jews from boro park enter medical settings) that they are getting a standard of care thats worse than Asians are getting in Elmhurst hospital, Hispanics are getting in Jacobi, or Caribbeans are getting in Brookdale. This is undoubtedly false, because everyone is working under unprecedented conditions everywhere and doing the best they can. Yet you dont hear these communities complaining and starting rumors the same way you hear people in this community doing.
You are comparing care at city hospitals with the only private hospital in NYC that was profitable every year when all others were in the red. So please apples to apples.

Lastly, gross negligence is a obtuse term in triage care. If a hospital genuinely has 1 ventilator, and its currently keeping a 70 yo with stage 4 pancreatic cancer alive, but a 35 year old father of 4 needs it, is it gross negligence to remove the 70 yo from the ventilator. If Maimo's census is absolutely full, and they dont have a single open bed, but 911 doesnt allow them to go on bypass and ems drops off 20 patients in an hour and those patients have to sit on the floor until other patients can get discharged, is that negligence. Alot of the comments here are from people that really dont understand how bad it is on the front line.
Leave the term gross negligence to the lawyers to define. What you define is not gross negligence. Discharges shouldnt be an excuse when you have almost 4k beds at Javits and on USNS Comfort for non COVID patients
Finally, thankfully, we are not hearing the nightmares that is unfolding at Coney Island Hospital where they dont ran out of sedation drugs for patients on vents and are restraining patients and just intubating.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.