Author Topic: Masks  (Read 166068 times)

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Masks
« Reply #740 on: June 07, 2021, 02:52:42 PM »
I took a senior to an eye doctor appointment this past week. Despite the fact that everyone other than me appeared to be seniors and presumably vaccinated, they are still keeping every other chair in the waiting room turned to the wall, resulting in two aged fellows standing uncomfortably for some time in the waiting room due to lack of seating. They couldn’t get a pressure reading in the eye due to fogging from the mask and had to try multiple times which was quite uncomfortable for the patient. As soon as a patient stood up in the waiting room to go in to the doctor the staff would run over and spray up all surfaces of the chair as if the old guy had had an accident or something. It’s really become kind of a religion as far as I can tell.

Offline Jeremiah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: June 07, 2021, 02:56:42 PM »
So much to unwrap here...

A) There are no restrictions. There are little-to-no mask mandates. They aren't "submitting" to anything, and their "submission" isn't extending restrictions that aren't there to begin with.

B) If you experience fear or anxiety when you see someone wearing a mask, the problem is yours, not the person wearing the mask. You should really seek professional help for that.

C) Bad for communication? We should ban sunglasses. The eyes are the most expressive part of the face.

D) "Unhygenic" - are we really still on this? What's next? Masks cause people to breathe in too much carbon dioxide?

E) Bad for the environment. Yep. I'd love to take a peek inside your environmentally friendly house.
A yes they are submitting. Why else would everyone still be wearing masks.
B it is spreading fear to many people. Not anyone I generally care about but when people cross the street when seeing unmasked people outdoors then we have a problem
C sunglasses were never banned or being promoted to wear all day indoors and outdoors
D won’t comment about it because it’s irrelevant
E I don’t give a darn about the environment. But the same people who tend to wear them tend to make the environment a priority

Offline Jeremiah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: June 07, 2021, 02:58:07 PM »
The ones that are upset at people wearing masks are basically the same ones who complained about masks while thousands were dying each day. They have an agenda.

The ones who always complained about people who get annoyed from masks are still doing so today. They have an agenda

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #743 on: June 07, 2021, 03:03:32 PM »
Because you are an angel that is not bothered by a piece of fabric sitting on the places you inhale and exhale from in the sweltering heat. There is also no upside to a vaccine if you sit locked in cell with no human contact.
Umm. Did you see the post he quoted?
But... they prolong the restrictions with their submissiveness - it projects fear & anxiety onto others - maintains an anti-social norm - not being able to see faces and expressions is bad for communication and development - unhygienic - bad for the environment
You remind me of the cafe fining customers who wear masks. All in the name of liberty, eh?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: June 07, 2021, 03:05:53 PM »

C) Bad for communication? We should ban sunglasses. The eyes are the most expressive part of the face.

You're countering the one good point he makes with a silly analogy. Didn't you have this feeling every single day in the past year like "If only you'd remove your mask I might be able to understand you better", how many times do you have that with sunglasses. And anyway, whoever wears sunglasses indoors where most of peoples conversations happen?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #745 on: June 07, 2021, 03:06:58 PM »
But... they prolong the restrictions with their submissiveness - it projects fear & anxiety onto others - maintains an anti-social norm - not being able to see faces and expressions is bad for communication and development - unhygienic - bad for the environment
Yes yes masks are the devil

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #746 on: June 07, 2021, 03:08:22 PM »
A yes they are submitting. Why else would everyone still be wearing masks.
B it is spreading fear to many people. Not anyone I generally care about but when people cross the street when seeing unmasked people outdoors then we have a problem
C sunglasses were never banned or being promoted to wear all day indoors and outdoors
D won’t comment about it because it’s irrelevant
E I don’t give a darn about the environment. But the same people who tend to wear them tend to make the environment a priority

A) Submitting to whom/what? I wear a mask as a personal choice, as do many others I know. Why don't I have that right?
B) Huh? Someone has anxieties and fears regarding Covid, so they make themselves crazy and go to extreme lengths to avoid unmasked people. What does that have anything to do with people wearing masks supposedly causing anxiety? I'm not following.
C) Again, huh?
D) It's pretty relevant to the claim that you made about masks being "unhygenic."
E) Now you're just pulling things from where the sun don't shine.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #747 on: June 07, 2021, 03:08:36 PM »
You're countering the one good point he makes with a silly analogy. Didn't you have this feeling every single day in the past year like "If only you'd remove your mask I might be able to understand you better", how many times do you have that with sunglasses. And anyway, whoever wears sunglasses indoors where most of peoples conversations happen?
It’s not a good point, the people are wearing masks of their own accord because they believe they should, it’s completely irrelevant if he feels they are posing as a barrier to effective communication. Remember that whole personal liberty thing?

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: June 07, 2021, 03:10:26 PM »
It’s really become kind of a religion as far as I can tell.
And a rather attractive one, I'd say!  Requiring submission to 3 restrictions - wear a mask, wash your hands, keep your distance - is a lot more appealing than 613.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #749 on: June 07, 2021, 03:11:05 PM »
It’s not a good point, the people are wearing masks of their own accord because they believe they should, it’s completely irrelevant if he feels they are posing as a barrier to effective communication. Remember that whole personal liberty thing?
All right but don't claim it doesn't come with a cost.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #750 on: June 07, 2021, 03:13:52 PM »
And a rather attractive one, I'd say!  Requiring submission to 3 restrictions - wear a mask, wash your hands, keep your distance - is a lot more appealing than 613.
OMG. Then his issue might not be of it becoming a religion, rather of it becoming the prevailing religion.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #751 on: June 07, 2021, 03:13:58 PM »

My point was that making communication easier isn't a reason for people to abandon masks. If someone feels the need to wear a mask, why should better communication trump need? The sunglasses analogy may have been poor. It was to illustrate that people can wear whatever accessories they want/need, and we don't tell people they need to stop wearing them because "not being able to see faces and expressions is bad for communication and development."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #752 on: June 07, 2021, 03:16:40 PM »
All right but don't claim it doesn't come with a cost.

I don't think you've ever seen me say that there are no costs. There are tradeoffs for everything. Like I said, it doesn't bother me when I see people without masks. My issue is with those who are triggered by other people wearing masks.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #753 on: June 07, 2021, 03:18:19 PM »
I don't think you've ever seen me say that there are no costs. There are tradeoffs for everything. Like I said, it doesn't bother me when I see people without masks. My issue is with those who are triggered by other people wearing masks.
Likewise here. I just took issue with your analogy :). The problem of communication is real.

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: June 07, 2021, 03:18:57 PM »

Umm. Did you see the post he quoted?
Yes. For some people anxiety > discomfort.... If it didn't become such a "religion" and whatever mandates were needed would have been sensible, or if the media actually scrutinized things, much less people would have that anxiety.
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: June 07, 2021, 03:30:13 PM »
Don't know one person wear this is the case.
Lol, when was the last time you've been in NYC?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #756 on: June 07, 2021, 03:33:22 PM »
Lol, when was the last time you've been in NYC?

Forget NY, just watch the politicians put on a mask for the cameras. But they may not count as people...

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #757 on: June 07, 2021, 03:39:52 PM »
Yes. For some people anxiety > discomfort.... If it didn't become such a "religion" and whatever mandates were needed would have been sensible, or if the media actually scrutinized things, much less people would have that anxiety.
I think you’re just overplaying how uncomfortable masks are for many people

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: June 07, 2021, 03:41:01 PM »
We've been down this road before...
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: June 07, 2021, 03:45:06 PM »
Could be. I'm basing it on how uncomfortable it was for me and what I hear from others. Vs the actual benefit of wearing a mask, indoors where others are unmasked and especially out doors, for people not in a risk group. People's behavior seems incongruent with their general level of carefulness and tolerance for discomfort.
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪