Author Topic: Masks  (Read 166092 times)

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Re: Masks
« Reply #760 on: June 07, 2021, 03:45:36 PM »
We've been down this road before...
Exactly. Just as I ultimately acknowledged that I may not understand how difficult it may be for some people, it’s time for others to acknowledge that for many others, it’s just not so bad.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #761 on: June 07, 2021, 03:48:12 PM »
Could be. I'm basing it on how uncomfortable it was for me and what I hear from others. Vs the actual benefit of wearing a mask, indoors where others are unmasked and especially out doors, for people not in a risk group. People's behavior seems incongruent with their general level of carefulness and tolerance for discomfort.
It’s possible some people are being overly cautious, just like many were overly carefree. Many people simply forget their wearing a mask at this point, after wearing one for 8-12 hours a day for a year. I still don’t see the downside to others or why anyone would be upset at them (vs. people being upset when others were not wearing masks).

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: June 07, 2021, 03:49:47 PM »
Exactly. Just as I ultimately acknowledged that I may not understand how difficult it may be for some people, it’s time for others to acknowledge that for many others, it’s just not so bad.
Just bc it's not so bad doesn't mean it makes sense. Noone does anything preventative at all, even with no discomfort, for thinha that have this risk level. (I'm talking in Israel. As for the risk level in the US- much harder to gauge and judge this whole thing).
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #763 on: June 07, 2021, 03:51:02 PM »
Just bc it's not so bad doesn't mean it makes sense. Noone does anything preventative at all, even with no discomfort, for thinha that have this risk level. (I'm talking in Israel. As for the risk level in the US- much harder to gauge and judge this whole thing).
I believe the conversation was about the US. I personally do not wear a mask where I am not required to, but have no problem with others choosing to do so.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: June 07, 2021, 03:52:17 PM »
You're right. I misunderstood who you were referring to by "many people". (I read it as those on the "bothered" end of the spectrum while you are referring to the "not bothered" end.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #765 on: June 07, 2021, 03:53:12 PM »

I still don’t see the downside to others or why anyone would be upset at them
I wouldn't say anything to anyone and I mask where most people are masked. But it bothers me that people act like sheep and that this is somehow being condoned because "there's no downside". If there is upside I agree, but for a vaccinated 35 year old to be masked outside in Israel right now is ridiculous.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #766 on: June 07, 2021, 03:54:35 PM »
I wouldn't say anything to anyone and I mask where most people are masked. But it bothers me that people act like sheep and that this is somehow being condoned because "there's no downside". If there is upside I agree, but for a vaccinated 35 year old to be masked outside in Israel right now is ridiculous.
I pretty much agree

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: June 07, 2021, 03:55:44 PM »
the people complaining loudest about masks inducing fear, are the people who have the least fear of covid
(now if you were to wear a picture of a syringe, on the other hand....)

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: June 07, 2021, 03:56:15 PM »

and why does his ridiculousness bother you?

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #769 on: June 07, 2021, 04:00:01 PM »
and why does his ridiculousness bother you?
Do you want to live among sheep? Among people who trust the government more than their common sense? I'm not saying it should bother me that much but it does. I hate masks because they symbolize the incompetence of governments dealing with covid. The failure of people to recognize this incompetence is scary.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #770 on: June 07, 2021, 04:05:00 PM »
Do you want to live among sheep? Among people who trust the government more than their common sense?

From what I've seen of people's common sense, I'd rather them follow the government. At least then it's uniform and I know what to expect.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #771 on: June 07, 2021, 04:06:45 PM »
Do you want to live among sheep? Among people who trust the government more than their common sense? I'm not saying it should bother me that much but it does. I hate masks because they symbolize the incompetence of governments dealing with covid. The failure of people to recognize this incompetence is scary.
The government is not telling them to wear masks, so what does it have to do with the government? They are wearing masks because science says that masks are safe and effective ways of reducing risk (which apparently they feel is still high enough to warrant reduction measures).

Offline Jeremiah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: June 07, 2021, 04:09:46 PM »
A) Submitting to whom/what? I wear a mask as a personal choice, as do many others I know. Why don't I have that right?
B) Huh? Someone has anxieties and fears regarding Covid, so they make themselves crazy and go to extreme lengths to avoid unmasked people. What does that have anything to do with people wearing masks supposedly causing anxiety? I'm not following.
C) Again, huh?
D) It's pretty relevant to the claim that you made about masks being "unhygenic."
E) Now you're just pulling things from where the sun don't shine.
My argument was just that it’s silly to say that there is only an upside of wearing a mask. Even if these points are only debatable you can’t just say just wear a mask because there is nothing to lose

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #773 on: June 07, 2021, 04:11:37 PM »
The government is not telling them to wear masks, so what does it have to do with the government? They are wearing masks because science says that masks are safe and effective ways of reducing risk (which apparently they feel is still high enough to warrant reduction measures).
I don't think thats people's thought process. The government did tell people to wear masks. People relied on that being science based. So they think it's a good preventative even when not mandated. The mandate was partially necessary, particularly draconian, at different times and situations.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: June 07, 2021, 04:21:24 PM »
Are we still arguing about snowflakes that get triggered by seeing a mask?

We're at the point in the pandemic that no one (especially someone in the frum community) should give a hoot about people who are wearing masks.

And like it or not, anyone who lives in civilization is a sheep to some extent. That's the only way civilization works - following the same basic rules as everyone else. (Not saying masking is one of these rules.)

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #775 on: June 07, 2021, 05:35:22 PM »
I get a laugh when I hear "following like sheep".
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #776 on: June 07, 2021, 05:48:47 PM »
You don't think theres any of that? People not thinking for themselves?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #777 on: June 07, 2021, 05:52:05 PM »
You don't think theres any of that? People not thinking for themselves?

I'm pretty sure he's aware. I think the irony of religious people saying it tickles him.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #778 on: June 07, 2021, 05:54:00 PM »

I too was going to laugh, but I was told I'm not allowed to.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #779 on: June 07, 2021, 06:06:41 PM »
I'm pretty sure he's aware. I think the irony of religious people saying it tickles him.
:)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half